ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin at today's press conf: 3 freshman will play Saturday

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Wade, Gross-Matos and Castro-fields. Said the decision was made to burn their redshirts right from the start. Confirmed there are about 9 freshman on the 3 deep -- but only these three are playing for sure.

Other tidbits of news: Thompkins is the punt returner. He also said Thompkins and Blacknall are basically even at their position -- they'll both play.

Clifford is the #3 QB. Franklin said Clifford surprised them with his mental preparation, how well he understood the PSU system off the bat.

Wade, Gross-Matos and Castro-fields. Said the decision was made to burn their redshirts right from the start. Confirmed there are about 9 freshman on the 3 deep -- but only these three are playing for sure.

Other tidbits of news: Thompkins is the punt returner. He also said Thompkins and Blacknall are basically even at their position -- they'll both play.

Clifford is the #3 QB. Franklin said Clifford surprised them with his mental preparation, how well he understood the PSU system off the bat.

Really excited by what Clifford will be able to do. I don't normally watch recruiting videos but I watched his after he committed. It would have been tape of his sophomore year. I could not believe what poise and control he was exhibiting for such a young player. Then I found out he played in a really high level of HS football and it was even more impressive. I think the kid might just have "it." We shall see. I really like how our QB position is setting up.

Glad G-M is ready. I hope it's not a sign of trouble at DE. Seems to be there has been an absence of coach comments re Shane Simmons. The young DEs are really critical this year. Two years of losing starters -- that can be a problem for any team, but PSU is not yet deep at this position.

Last edited:
Clifford at #3... does this bode a Zembiac transfer or position change (if #2 what position?)
Only other position I could envision would be safety... my guess he either is satisfied being a scout team player that may never play a meaningful down or he will transfer.

Exactly. If a kid is good enough to get on the field on a top 10 team as a frosh, he won't be here in 5 years more than likely.
The only exception to that might be a lineman, as they sometimes mature more slowly. But again, if he's good enough as a frosh.....

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Glad G-M is ready. I hope it's not a sign of trouble at DE. Seems to be there has been an absence of coach comments re Shane Simmons. The young DEs are really critical this year. Two years of losing starters -- that can be a problem for any team, but PSU is not yet deep at this position.

Simmons will play. Coach Spencer has discussed the progress of Simmons & Shaka Toney over the summer. It'll be exciting to see what they can do. The athleticism at that position has increased ten-fold.

Only other position I could envision would be safety... my guess he either is satisfied being a scout team player that may never play a meaningful down or he will transfer.

I don't think he's fast enough to play safety.

I don't think he's fast enough to play safety.
Yes, and that is why I think he'll either stay at QB or transfer. There are worse things in the world, however, than being a 3rd or 4th string QB on a highly successful football team.

He does seem like a great kid though, and I expected him to have some of the same leadership and moxie that Trace has shown. Maybe something will change and he'll get his shot someday. My guess is that if a game ever gets so out of hand that we go to a third QB, we would preserve Clifford's redshirt and allow Jake to get some playing time.

The only exception to that might be a lineman, as they sometimes mature more slowly. But again, if he's good enough as a frosh.....
Bates is a good example. He came in 20 pounds light and they still thought about lifting his shirt by the end of the year. I don't see him staying beyond this year, never mind next year. Then again he like the other frosh we are talking about are the exceptions to the rule.

Yes, and that is why I think he'll either stay at QB or transfer. There are worse things in the world, however, than being a 3rd or 4th string QB on a highly successful football team.

He does seem like a great kid though, and I expected him to have some of the same leadership and moxie that Trace has shown. Maybe something will change and he'll get his shot someday. My guess is that if a game ever gets so out of hand that we go to a third QB, we would preserve Clifford's redshirt and allow Jake to get some playing time.
A 4th string QB probably won't have a scholarship.

A 4th string QB probably won't have a scholarship.

Because you can only have 85 scholarships total and I doubt PSU can afford 5 scholarship QBs next year. Things change if McSorely leaves early.

McSorley
Stevens
Clifford
Zembiec
Levis

Could you clarify your point? Are you saying that Zembiec would lose his scholarship if he remains at PSU and is 4th string?

I don't think that would happen.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Fries certainly will when he arrives next year.
Who is Fries? Do you mean Levis? I agree that he'll have a scholarship. He'll get a couple of years to prove himself. I just don't see a scholarship for a 4th string upperclassman. Like I said, things change if McSorley leaves early.

Because you can only have 85 scholarships total and I doubt PSU can afford 5 scholarship QBs next year. Things change if McSorely leaves early.

McSorley
Stevens
Clifford
Zembiec
Levis

You stated they wouldn't have a 4th string on scholly. Now it's 5th? Changing your position midstream I see.

Could you clarify your point? Are you saying that Zembiec would lose his scholarship if he remains at PSU and is 4th string?

I don't think that would happen.

My point is that there is an 85 scholarship limit. 15 exhaust their eligibility this year so 10 others must come off scholarship early if PSU signs 25. Barkley is one and I'm sure other juniors will give the NFL a shot. Others might transfer, or just hang it up. But 9 is a big number so I suspect some will be told it's time to move on. I'm rooting for all these kids but I doubt that PSU will have 5 scholarship QBs next year.

Clifford is the #3 QB. Franklin said Clifford surprised them with his mental preparation, how well he understood the PSU system off the bat.[/QUOTE]

Went back and checked out his Senior season highlights on Hudl. That kid can flat out play and he played one of the toughest HS football schedules in the country. Great arm with nice touch. He made a few very impressive cross-field throws too. He also looked pretty quick on film and was able to get really good gains with his feet. Glad we got him!

Who is Fries? Do you mean Levis? I agree that he'll have a scholarship. He'll get a couple of years to prove himself. I just don't see a scholarship for a 4th string upperclassman.

If you sign a LOI in the B10 and meet the terms of your scholarship, you have a scholarship for 4 years (or maybe till graduation, if you graduate early). Whether you're 1st string or 4th string is not one of the terms of a scholarship.

Kids may transfer out if they have a remote chance at playing time. But nobody's scholarship gets pulled just because they aren't going to make the two-deep. That was true under Paterno, it's true today, and really it's the rule for most major conferences.

Alabama skirts the rule a bit. They have a special non-athletic scholarship fund for former football players who were injured, so they can continue their studies. (Penn State may have something similar for people like Adam Talliaferro, who knows)

Anyway the Alabama staff has been accused of exaggerating injuries to push bench players into that program (and off the team) so they don't count against the 85 scholarship limit. It's a gray area because you can claim injury for most players and say the injury is why they can't compete for playing time. Some of the kids pushed off the team objected because they didn't want to give up football.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
If you sign a LOI in the B10 and meet the terms of your scholarship, you have a scholarship for 4 years (or maybe till graduation, if you graduate early). Whether you're 1st string or 4th string is not one of the terms of a scholarship.

Kids may transfer out if they have a remote chance at playing time. But nobody's scholarship gets pulled just because they aren't going to make the two-deep. That was true under Paterno, it's true today, and really it's the rule for most major conferences.

Alabama skirts the rule a bit. They have a special non-athletic scholarship fund for former football players who were injured, so they can continue their studies. (Penn State may have something similar for people like Adam Talliaferro, who knows)

Anyway the Alabama staff has been accused of exaggerating injuries to push bench players into that program (and off the team) so they don't count against the 85 scholarship limit. It's a gray area because you can claim injury for most players and say the injury is why they can't compete for playing time. Some of the kids pushed off the team objected because they didn't want to give up football.

I admit that I don't understand the B1G rules. Can a kid retain a scholarship and not be counted as one of the 85 football scholarships? That's a serious question. I really don't know. I also noticed that I forgot TJ Johnson transferred. That means we have 16 spots + 1 for each early departure.

I think we have 13 kids with junior eligibility. I expect some to leave early but not most of them (Reid, McSorley, Farmer, Bowen, Wright, etc.). I understand that kids might decide to transfer or hang it up early but it's a big number this year. How can the staff offer 25 kids if they can't force the issue wrt departures? What if the existing kids don't want to leave? That's a serious question so thanks in advance if you know the answer.

P.S. The only thing I can think of is that a few of the 25 offers for 2018 are contingent upon a spot opening up.

I admit that I don't understand the B1G rules. Can a kid retain a scholarship and not be counted as one of the 85 football scholarships? That's a serious question. I really don't know. I also noticed that I forgot TJ Johnson transferred. That means we have 16 spots + 1 for each early departure.

I think we have 13 kids with junior eligibility. I expect some to leave early but not most of them (Reid, McSorley, Farmer, Bowen, Wright, etc.). I understand that kids might decide to transfer or hang it up early but it's a big number this year. How can the staff offer 25 kids if they can't force the issue wrt departures? What if the existing kids don't want to leave? That's a serious question so thanks in advance if you know the answer.

P.S. The only thing I can think of is that a few of the 25 offers for 2018 are contingent upon a spot opening up.
may be a few gray shirts in that group.

If Jake is truly 4th string, I see this one of two ways:

1) he transfers out to a lower level for an opportunity to play. Simple, common, and if his heart is in being on the field, this is his best option.

2) he rides out the year, and likely transfers as a graduate as soon as possible. He'll have 3 complete years before the '17-'18 kids show up for fall semester, so it's possible he could have his degree.

Unlike a Tommy Stevens, who is in line for potentially two years, minimally one, Jake is already passed by a younger man. 4 QBs, with a 5th most likely on his way sounds like a lot, but you are always one injury away from uncertainty. We don't want to be like Alabama here in that they literally had no depth behind Jalen Hurts after he became the starter.

Reactions: 81b&w and bdgan
If Jake is truly 4th string, I see this one of two ways:

1) he transfers out to a lower level for an opportunity to play. Simple, common, and if his heart is in being on the field, this is his best option.

2) he rides out the year, and likely transfers as a graduate as soon as possible. He'll have 3 complete years before the '17-'18 kids show up for fall semester, so it's possible he could have his degree.

Unlike a Tommy Stevens, who is in line for potentially two years, minimally one, Jake is already passed by a younger man. 4 QBs, with a 5th most likely on his way sounds like a lot, but you are always one injury away from uncertainty. We don't want to be like Alabama here in that they literally had no depth behind Jalen Hurts after he became the starter.
Geez. The season hasn't even started and you are talking about players leaving.

It's good questions. I'd love to know how they make the math work. Obviously as long as a kid is on the team, they count toward the 85. It may be a number of juniors are on track to graduate early; so maybe they grad transfer out if they're not going to be on the two deep their senior year? Or maybe after they get their degree PSU isn't obligated to continue the scholarship.

Maybe more than the obvious juniors are eyeing the NFL draft.

Maybe the math counts on 1 or 2 decommits or people not qualifying, or some announced commitments that are not fall 2018 scholarships. We don't know about the walkon scholarships and how many of those will be available.

I'd love if someone would ask Franklin this at one of the press conferences. I'm sure he couldn't answer with too much specificity but he could talk generally about how they make it work.

It's good questions. I'd love to know how they make the math work. Obviously as long as a kid is on the team, they count toward the 85. It may be a number of juniors are on track to graduate early; so maybe they grad transfer out if they're not going to be on the two deep their senior year? Or maybe after they get their degree PSU isn't obligated to continue the scholarship.

Maybe more than the obvious juniors are eyeing the NFL draft.

Maybe the math counts on 1 or 2 decommits or people not qualifying, or some announced commitments that are not fall 2018 scholarships. We don't know about the walkon scholarships and how many of those will be available.

I'd love if someone would ask Franklin this at one of the press conferences. I'm sure he couldn't answer with too much specificity but he could talk generally about how they make it work.

How many f'ing times do we have to go over this on this board....

Good God!

Went back and checked out his Senior season highlights on Hudl. That kid can flat out play and he played one of the toughest HS football schedules in the country. Great arm with nice touch. He made a few very impressive cross-field throws too. He also looked pretty quick on film and was able to get really good gains with his feet. Glad we got him![/QUOTE]

Yea he's impressive and reminds me of Trace, seems to take control and make it happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT