ADVERTISEMENT

Football Franklin: “I’m not going anywhere”

Just because media said so, does not mean any program was truly pushing hard for him. And he wasn’t going anywhere no matter what school came calling.
Uninformed people don't understand how hiring a new president (who then generally will wish to bring in their own AD) can impact a major college football program and it's coach. People wanted Franklin to commit and he wanted PSU to commit long term to him and to make the improvements in facilities that he deemed essential to success.
Many "fans" who post here don't like Franklin and profess to have all the answers. They will not be happy with developments. GOOD.

Per Neil Rudel of the Altoona Mirror, James Franklin told the State College Quarterback Club, “I’m not going anywhere”.

Will be interesting to see how any extension will impact assistant salary pool as well as funding to improve Lasch and Beaver Stadium.
If there is any kind of extension without lowering his university buyout to zero, Sandy needs to be fired immediately.

Just because media said so, does not mean any program was truly pushing hard for him. And he wasn’t going anywhere no matter what school came calling.
We have many posters who were stiffed by their prom dates.....flashbacks
They were angry at the prospect that Franklin might leave them.....now they are angry that he is staying. Makes perfect sense.....LOL Fanboys

We have many posters who were stiffed by their prom dates.....flashbacks
They were angry at the prospect that Franklin might leave them.....now they are angry that he is staying. Makes perfect sense.....LOL Fanboys
Was Grandpa Mick your prom date?

Reactions: okinburg1
Yurcich had already reached out to Barney for the transfer but the first take is still Caleb Rattler at QB from LionHounders.org chatter I read.
Spencer rattler, not Caleb Williams, he already declined penn state once, smartly. He'd likely be hurt by now

I’m just angry we’re going to go 7-5 for the next 10-15 years, with no accountability
Why do you think we are going to go 7-5 for the next 10-15 years? Aren’t you aware that we’ve also had 10 and 11 win seasons? Certainly we aren’t in a situation where we can roll the ball out there and win 10 games but it’s a common occurrence.

The BOT didn't prevent Franklin from developing the backup QBs to minimally lead the team and they didnt prevent him from saying he's staying.

He could also have said that he and the AD were working towards improving the facilities.

He's supposed to be such a great communicator but he's blown all these opportunities to be clear and he uses the QB luncheon to set the record straight?

Lets stop looking elsewhere for answers if Franklin truly "gets it" as he said this week. This stupid see-saw of staying / leaving has cost us wins no doubt.
"The BOT didn't prevent Franklin from developing the backup QBs"

If you were paying attention,

He had the best back up QB in the country.

It was spoiled by the portal, numbskull.

How come posters are so dumb??

Penn State averaged 174 rushing yards per game last year, 192 yards per game in 2019, 204 yards per game in 2018, 170 yards per game in 2017, and 175 yards per game in 2016. This year they’re averaging 106 yards per game. I know this may sound crazy, but perhaps it’s the players’ fault?
It is. And call me crazy, I think Caziah Holmes should get more run. He looks like he has more wiggle to me.

I visited the Alabama board and here were some comments about Nick Saban:

"Dude, call a damn timeout sometimes. When our D is out of position, at the end of the half, etc. Just do it, sir." (16 likes, 3 downvotes)

"He's a mediocre game day coach.
I've been saying it for a decade."

"He refuses to call timeouts.
He never has the guts to go into the 2 minute offense before the half.
We can't make adjustments unless we go to the half and make them. "

"What’s more amazing is that this team has BoB and Golding coaching yet we are at one loss with a chance to win the West and possibly the whole conference. "

"It's nothing to melt about.
His ability to recruit, prepare and hire coaches is the best ever.
He's just mediocre on Saturdays."

"The BOT didn't prevent Franklin from developing the backup QBs"

If you were paying attention,

He had the best back up QB in the country.

It was spoiled by the portal, numbskull.

How come posters are so dumb??
The point was more about the state of the backup position. Everyone gets that Levis transferred. That is not the issue. The issue is why Roberson whose skillset does not fit the offense was the backup. Not only that but he clearly wasn't ready to play whereas the 3rd string, who may or may not have been ready to play does possess the skillset needed to run the offense. He should have known better. MY is an open book. So is his offense. Roberson's performance was not a surprise. It was inevitable if he saw the field. That is on Franklin.

No, the unlucky break was not when SC went down. It was when Will Levi’s left and we had no backup QB. They say “ Luck is the residue of design.” Our QB room when Will left did not have anyone at that time who could play QB at a top tier B1G level. That’s on CJF for not having a good QB room 3 deep who could play.
Well, just judging by last Saturday, apparently they did, but he never saw the field.

It has nothing to do with the stadium. When a local kid who happened to be the #1 recruit a few years ago was getting recruited I saw every big time coach in the country. He and I talked about all of his visits and he said that out of all the places he went, PSU had the least appealing practice set up, locker rooms, workout/therapy rooms, etc. Saturdays are better but Sunday - Friday are not up to any of the other top programs.
If you've ever been in the locker room at the stadium you'd know that isn't true.

Well, just judging by last Saturday, apparently they did, but he never saw the field.
Kudos to the kid but playing Rutgers at home when you've already lost 4 games is a little different than Iowa on the road when you are both top 10 and undefeated.

The point was more about the state of the backup position. Everyone gets that Levis transferred. That is not the issue. The issue is why Roberson whose skillset does not fit the offense was the backup. Not only that but he clearly wasn't ready to play whereas the 3rd string, who may or may not have been ready to play does possess the skillset needed to run the offense. He should have known better. MY is an open book. So is his offense. Roberson's performance was not a surprise. It was inevitable if he saw the field. That is on Franklin.
Of course maybe Roberson just laid an egg and crumbled under the pressure. It happens. No way Franklin could know that until he was put in the situation.

Mediocrity that is what Psu fans want for the next ten years, 8 and 4, 7 and 5 what a waste of money

I am not a Franklin fanboy. I am also not a Franklin hater.

Let's see what today brings, and be as positive (without being stupid) as we can be.

I hope today brings building our team for the long term (coaches, assistants, etc.) with an emphasis on proper culture and identity.

Reactions: 4theglory54
I am not a Franklin fanboy. I am also not a Franklin hater.

Let's see what today brings, and be as positive (without being stupid) as we can be.

I hope today brings building our team for the long term (coaches, assistants, etc.) with an emphasis on proper culture and identity.
I think he does just about everything well from recruiting and talent development to maintaining a respectable culture, but the area he struggles with is maintaining a calm levelheaded approach during stressful situations in big games. In the professional world that tends not to be a fixable quality of one’s leadership style. He has the capability of getting us to the playoffs, but I’m not sure if he has the ability to sustain us at that level consistently like an Ohio State or Alabama. To be honest, Paterno did not have that ability either.

Kudos to the kid but playing Rutgers at home when you've already lost 4 games is a little different than Iowa on the road when you are both top 10 and undefeated.

I understand your point, but the bottom line is the kid came in and played well. He clearly should have been the guy to come in the Iowa game.

If you've ever been in the locker room at the stadium you'd know that isn't true.
Been there with a recruit so yeah I know the whole situation. Its a great locker room to me, even to my player it was a great locker room but, compared to UGA/Clemson/Bama, its an 8/10. Therapy and training rooms at psu are 5 or 6 out of 10 compared to them too. Housing for playes is probably a 3 or 4 out of 10.

Why does Bama never have problems with Backups. How about UGA.
Well, it all comes down to recruiting. Yes, a big part of it is player development but you need a stable of high school blue chippers first as a few of the "can't miss" HS prospects will flame out. I've attached the 247 Composite Roster Recruiting / Talent rankings for 2021 and look who the top 3 are - then compare those rankings with this week's BCS Playoff rankings. They kind of look similar, don't they? In fact, the top 3 have separated themselves from everyone else in this Composite rankings.

Say what you want about Franklin, but the guy has the first part figured out - he can recruit and gets the talent at PSU. He just needs to take the next step now

ADVERTISEMENT