ADVERTISEMENT

Frank The Tank weighs in on conference realignment

I saw the linked article about Texas while reading the WVU board. Regarding a 20 or so team breakaway, the below outtake captures my thoughts exactly.

This is probably all part of a plan to eventually get a smaller field to a champions league in college football. Maybe it’s not immediately, but sometime, the top 12 or 16 or 24 schools will band together thinking, “We’ll get more money just playing ourselves.” Then eventually they’ll realize that not quite as many people care about watching college football as they once did.

LINK
Good points - how many people religiously tune in to the minor leagues (outside of those who live in the communities in which they play)?

CFB has been on a steady collision course with professionalism, probably for at least 3 decades. Now that they’re approaching pro status, the sport’s death knell is ringing. The distinction between minor leagues and amateur athletics is a bigger margin than they seem to be banking on. In other words, they’re risking a lot of eyeballs who recognize that college sports are different/better than the bus leagues.

And the Big Ten schools also give up something: the return trip to the Coast (scratch one home gate) and the flexibility to schedule other out-of-conference games.
No home game has to be given up. Either they go to 8 game conf. schedule or give up the 3rd non-con slot currently given to Auburn, WVU, etc. But yes you give up the OOC flexibility. That only applies to PSU, O$U, and Michy. Most of the other schools don't have a 7 home game requirement set in stone.

I saw the linked article about Texas while reading the WVU board. Regarding a 20 or so team breakaway, the below outtake captures my thoughts exactly.

This is probably all part of a plan to eventually get a smaller field to a champions league in college football. Maybe it’s not immediately, but sometime, the top 12 or 16 or 24 schools will band together thinking, “We’ll get more money just playing ourselves.” Then eventually they’ll realize that not quite as many people care about watching college football as they once did.

LINK
totally agree.

LINK
I don’t think it will ever come to a very limited (say max 24 type) number of teams who only play each other for a couple reasons.

One is that that scenario would force teams to have bad records just based on math. Generally speaking, fans would prefer to see their team at 8-4 that included a couple easy wins rather than 4-8. Plus, It is better for TV for matchups between teams with 0/1/2 losses than it is for those with less impressive records.

The other is that if whole regions/areas of the country aren’t involved, or have extremely limited involvement, people won’t care. Despite how the CFP participants have turned out, every major team is alive when the season starts and someone who you have a connection to is still in the mix come November. That may be the team you like, or it may be the team you despise, but it gives you a reason to pay more attention.

Lastly, and this goes back to only playing each other. Once teams that are left out continually start having excellent undefeated type years, people are going to start wanting to see them challenge the chosen group. I’m not talking about an upstart UCF team, I’m talking about an established relatively successful team right now that would get left out. I’m not going to specify names to provoke outsiders, but someone would be getting left out at 16 and even 24, and that would be if the SEC abandons their low performers.

Reactions: WestSideLion

LINK
The last sentence is key. I don’t think an NFL Junior model is viable for several reasons.

More expansion talk?? I thought this thread was going to be about this guy…
200.gif
That is what I thought

ADVERTISEMENT