ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Fisher Passed away

From all accounts Fran led a wonderful life and was loved by millions of Penn State fans. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. He will be missed. May he Rest In Peace.

506453.jpg

That's kind of a jolt to my psyche but we take comfort in knowing Fran touched so many and was such a positive figure. Penn State alums, faculty, students and fans mourn his passing. I was fortunate enough to meet Fran at three different times in my life -- as a child, later as a part-time employee of the athletic department and lastly as a communications professional. Each time, he was gracious, smart, professional and approachable. He was the voice of Penn State and he carried that mantle perfectly. Many, too many to count, aspiring communications professionals benefitted from Fran's example and advice. He was a pro.

RIP Fran. I know you are hosting a TV Quarterbacks show up there with the Brooklyn guy with the thick lenses.

That's kind of a jolt to my psyche but we take comfort in knowing Fran touched so many and was such a positive figure. Penn State alums, faculty, students and fans mourn his passing. I was fortunate enough to meet Fran at three different times in my life -- as a child, later as a part-time employee of the athletic department and lastly as a communications professional. Each time, he was gracious, smart, professional and approachable. He was the voice of Penn State and he carried that mantle perfectly. Many, too many to count, aspiring communications professionals benefitted from Fran's example and advice. He was a pro.

RIP Fran. I know you are hosting a TV Quarterbacks show up there with the Brooklyn guy with the thick lenses.
Nicely said.

"He's at the 45, the 40, the 35, the 30. He's going all the way down the sidline. Penn State touchdown! NO FLAGS, NO FLAGS, NO FLAGS"

He was my Penn State Football childhood. That voice will stay with me forever.

Sorry to hear the news of Fran's passing. When I think of Penn State Football radio broadcasts, his voice will always be the first that will come to mind. I always enjoyed listening to him and George together, they were a great team. RIP Fran.

Reactions: rudedude
Very sad news, indeed. Another of the vestiges of the Penn State that once was leaves us. This stuff, of course, is inevitable, but it's tougher to take when one considers with what we're left to "carry on". Not much, that's for certain.
Bad form, bad form!

Indeed, Jerry, your dad was a special man. He will be sorely missed by the entire Penn State community. Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Always a class individual. I ran into him in the Snappy's on U Drive one day. He was doing radio spots for Uni-Mart at the time. I said "Hey Fran, I'da thought you'd be shopping across the street!" (there was a Uni-Mart there behind Greg's Sunoco, it's gone now). Fran gives me this big smile and he sheepishly says "Yeah, I was but they didn't have what I needed..." almost in a whisper, as if to say.."Don't tell anybody!"

Such a nice guy and a legend in the broadcast booth. Well he's reunited with George now. God bless em both.

Call the Penn State Athletic office in the early 80's to find out about the team. Fran answered the phone. Answered all my questions, about 30 minutes worth. Lots of great insider info, when there was no fear of me sticking it on the internet.

Ki-Jana breaks free of the tackle "he's at 45, 40, 35 he is going to take it all the way, 10, 5 touchdown PENN STATE!"

RIP, legend

WOW!!! Horrible News!

We are sure losing all the good ones. So glad I am old enough to remember the Glory Days. Fran, George, Joe, and everyone else at Penn State feeling like one, big, tight knit Family, win or lose. Boy do I miss those days. We truly were blessed.

You and your Family have my deepest condolence Jerry. Fran was a great man. May he rest in peace.

As a kid even if I wasn't at the game and all but I think two or three games in the timeframe weren't on TV it was awesome hearing his voice. I sort of put him in with a guy like Harry Kalas of the Phillies. He was brilliant and so fun to listen to. Even if you weren't watching live or were in a car he took you right into the action. I really think he probably was my favorite voice in sports growing up so this is sad, but he made one huge impression.

Him and George together I remember a little, definitely enough to know we had a version of Harry and Whitey @ PSU. I about bawled when Franklin gave him that cake and it was clear Fran liked him too.

RIP, and thanks for being one of the best ever

Very sad news, indeed. Another of the vestiges of the Penn State that once was leaves us.
I remember him holding the door for me at Rec Hall when I was still a student in the 70s. I was rendered speechless.

He was a figure we held in awe. He was a fine gentleman.
That he was. I was trying to remember and maybe some of the old school Western PA guys can help me. Did Fran ever work for WHJB in Greensburg prior to coming to State College?

That he was. I was trying to remember and maybe some of the old school Western PA guys can help me. Did Fran ever work for WHJB in Greensburg prior to coming to State College?
Yes he did. I was just a kid then but I remember Fran saying something about that when I heard him speak at an event. I think it was mid to late 50's and he did high school sports.

Harry Kalas and Fran were my two favorite voices growing up.

Fran though made listening to a game every bit as fun as watching it. I had to go to the bathroom quick during one of Aaron Harris' crazy runs against MSU and I am glad I did because the way he called it will always stick with me.

Jerry,
I am sorry for your and your families loss. Fran was special. We shared the same birthday. I enjoyed the little time I was allowed to share with him. We sat near each other in Rec Hall when it was the home of the men's basketball program. We shared time in the hallway at half time, doing politically incorrect things, smoke break. I saw and spoke with him often at quarterback club. I am truly sad, that this will not be so this next year. I will miss his smile and ever upbeat outlook on things.

Fran, I bid you adieu, and peace. You lived a life well lived, and I will miss you.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHSPSU67
Forever the voice of Penn State football. I would hope that the University has the human decency to put a plaque in the broadcast booth as a way of honoring him

Reactions: A2Nit
A true legend. So many great memories of his broadcasts from those special years. RIP Fran,,,,,you were a great one.

ADVERTISEMENT