ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Four-Star DE Tomarrion Parker decommits from PSU

Don't get me started. The travel is costly. Lodging is insane. Tickets and parking are whatever they are plus a big donation. Now they're shaking you down for a pool of money to hand out to eventual multi-millionaires.. Then people are on message boards saying you can help or don't complain? OK I won't complain. How's that. Gas 4.30 a gal. Tuition out of sight. Tolls $20 each way. Yeah I promise not to bitch when our Loyal Sons are 4-8. But I'll complain now. Let's see how it shakes out.
Sounds like you have a cash flow problem. You've got a problem because your cash isn't flowing to me.

• Haha
Reactions: WaylonJ
Why would a program with the "world's largest alumni base..." not be the clear leader in NIL? Must be a bunch of cheap-ass boosters.
Not full of the ignorant football factory mentality ala Bama, A&M, LSU, GA etc.

Not full of the ignorant football factory mentality ala Bama, A&M, LSU, GA etc.
In other words, want to reap the harvest but don't want to do what is required. Sure, that is a great strategy, we will go far with that. Just not in the desired direction.

We (my son & his 2 sons) are attending our annual home game this year. Very possibly our last. Too much player movement, NIL, food trucks around stadium gone, prices skyrocketing. With inflation and gas prices I think we'll be discontinuing our annual trip to Happy Valley. The excitement is quickly fading. I can save alot of $ and watch from home. It saddens me but hard choices must be made @ times.
Very long time season ticket holder…travel to many away and bowl games…have 2 daughters at PSU…hopeful that there is some semblance of college football left until they both graduate in a couple of years…I am beginning to have my doubts.

I would like to at least see Joe honored properly before the curtain comes down on CFB. I am thinking that this may have to be organized by the alums on a game for a Saturday against a tomato can as the current powers to be seem to have no respect for Joe and the Paternos and all that he and they have done for PSU.

Depressing if I think about it too much…

Once my girls graduate, I can see my abandoning what’s left of CFB. Since 2012, I only watch PSU games. The NCAA and the Big10 can go pound salt.

In other words, want to reap the harvest but don't want to do what is required. Sure, that is a great strategy, we will go far with that. Just not in the desired direction.
It is what it is. I would be fine with Div 1 breaking out into the football factory schools, Bama, O$U. etc then everyone else including us in a lower division. The lower division is 2-3 star guys and no NIL. We have our own playoffs and NC. Yeah I know, gulp, but it could be the future.

I would like to at least see Joe honored properly before the curtain comes down on CFB.
You might as well give up that hope. The university is never going to do anything big to honor Paterno in an official capacity. The best you'll get is maybe at some point they'll put the statue inside the sports museum.

Very long time season ticket holder…travel to many away and bowl games…have 2 daughters at PSU…hopeful that there is some semblance of college football left until they both graduate in a couple of years…I am beginning to have my doubts.

I would like to at least see Joe honored properly before the curtain comes down on CFB. I am thinking that this may have to be organized by the alums on a game for a Saturday against a tomato can as the current powers to be seem to have no respect for Joe and the Paternos and all that he and they have done for PSU.

Depressing if I think about it too much…

Once my girls graduate, I can see my abandoning what’s left of CFB. Since 2012, I only watch PSU games. The NCAA and the Big10 can go pound salt.
It is sad that the college football we grew up with has changed so rapidly (over the last few years) and IMHO, not for the better. Tough decisions ahead.

Reactions: MacNit07
You might as well give up that hope. The university is never going to do anything big to honor Paterno in an official capacity. The best you'll get is maybe at some point they'll put the statue inside the sports museum.
The university is done with Paterno.

The fans seem to be of a similar mindset, after 10 years they have done very little to honor him other than bitch about how the university hasn't. Makes me wonder just how little the fans actually care since there is nothing to stop an organized group from setting up something big. Put up your own statue on private property, buy land and establish a park, put up a monument, the possibilities are endless. But there hasn't been anything like that even discussed here.

Want to honor Joe? Get organized and do it.

You are probably correct…this is pathetically sad

The university is done with Paterno.

The fans seem to be of a similar mindset, after 10 years they have done very little to honor him other than bitch about how the university hasn't. Makes me wonder just how little the fans actually care since there is nothing to stop an organized group from setting up something big. Put up your own statue on private property, buy land and establish a park, put up a monument, the possibilities are endless. But there hasn't been anything like that even discussed here.

Want to honor Joe? Get organized and do it.
That is patently false. Plenty has been done outside the University. And I expect there will be more.

But since Joe made the University made most of the positive aspects that it possesses today (including donating a pile of $), one would hope that they would do the right thing.

That is patently false. Plenty has been done outside the University. And I expect there will be more.

But since Joe made the University made most of the positive aspects that it possesses today (including donating a pile of $), one would hope that they would do the right thing.
What you consider to be the right thing does not necessarily apply to what others think is right.

Also, there is small faction that nothing the university did would be enough. These people want vengence and nothing short of that will suffice.

I have yet to notice any organized mass demonstrations or boycott of games. That segment of the fan base upset enough to take action is quite old and declining on a daily basis. The administration seems to have written them off, not worth the grief that would come from catering to them.

Ten years have passed and that is a strong indicator of the prevailing attitude. It ain't gonna happen. The easiest path is to do nothing.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think that's overlooked a lot as their campus is only a mile or two from downtown Columbus which has exploded the last 30 or 40 years. The city itself now has around 950,000 and the metro is approaching 2.5 million. And 99% per cent of them are Buckeye fanatics. That's a HUGE advantage when recruiting inner city HS kids.

I think many kids don't want a city and those we can still get.

The larger problem is the state of pa vs the state of ohio.

One is stuck in the 70s. The other is growing and advancing.

LdN

I think many kids don't want a city and those we can still get.

The larger problem is the state of pa vs the state of ohio.

One is stuck in the 70s. The other is growing and advancing.

LdN

Eh, the biggest problem re: us recruiting against and competing with OSU is winning. Period.

Having a big city with things to do outside of football helps. But I don't think that's what draws in the elite recruits. Being in the top-5 nearly every year this century and putting a ton of dudes into the NFL is what brings the elite kids to Columbus. It's no mystery why our recruiting shot up after our 2016-17 seasons. Heck, if anything we're recruiting much better than what our results on the field would justify. So I don't think small town or PA dynamics are impacting us that much.

There will be kids who don't like the small town feel. Desmond Umeozulu, the 4* edge from Maryland, mentioned that he'd be interested in PSU if not for it being in the middle of nowhere. But I don't think it's hurting us that much.

Eh, the biggest problem re: us recruiting against and competing with OSU is winning. Period.

Having a big city with things to do outside of football helps. But I don't think that's what draws in the elite recruits. Being in the top-5 nearly every year this century and putting a ton of dudes into the NFL is what brings the elite kids to Columbus. It's no mystery why our recruiting shot up after our 2016-17 seasons. Heck, if anything we're recruiting much better than what our results on the field would justify. So I don't think small town or PA dynamics are impacting us that much.

There will be kids who don't like the small town feel. Desmond Umeozulu, the 4* edge from Maryland, mentioned that he'd be interested in PSU if not for it being in the middle of nowhere. But I don't think it's hurting us that much.

Seems like you just agreed with me completely.

In regards to Penn State being in the middle of nowhere, while it is correct it is funny because Chop Robinson said the same thing last year and he listened to Locksley’s negative recruiting of Franklin and ultimately committed to Maryland. After one season, Robinson transferred to Penn State.

In regards to Penn State being in the middle of nowhere, while it is correct it is funny because Chop Robinson said the same thing last year and he listened to Locksley’s negative recruiting of Franklin and ultimately committed to Maryland. After one season, Robinson transferred to Penn State.

I'm of the opinion that when kids finally make a business decision, those factors -- location and whatnot -- become less important.

A lot of kids who commit out of HS make commitments for any number of reasons -- to include what their heart is telling them. Kids who are in the portal are making business decisions at that point in their career. So not surprised to see Robinson change his tune. Even if it's true that he's not keen on the small town vibe, from a strictly business point of view, PSU was a good choice for him.

What you consider to be the right thing does not necessarily apply to what others think is right.

Also, there is small faction that nothing the university did would be enough. These people want vengence and nothing short of that will suffice.

I have yet to notice any organized mass demonstrations or boycott of games. That segment of the fan base upset enough to take action is quite old and declining on a daily basis. The administration seems to have written them off, not worth the grief that would come from catering to them.

Ten years have passed and that is a strong indicator of the prevailing attitude. It ain't gonna happen. The easiest path is to do nothing.
When you poll PSU fans who actually support the program, my view of how Joe was treated generally and significantly prevails. Heck the biggest cheer in tbe stadium now-a days is when they show Joe’s shoes in the intro montage.
Never forget and never give in…

Reactions: bison13
When you poll PSU fans who actually support the program, my view of how Joe was treated generally and significantly prevails. Heck the biggest cheer in tbe stadium now-a days is when they show Joe’s shoes in the intro montage.
Never forget and never give in…
Well yeah, if you poll a biased population you get the expected result. More at 11.

A poll of tbe Beaver Stadium crowd would be the most appropriate….
A poll of that crowd would reveal nothing new other than those fans are still going to games in spite of the fact Joe has not been honored. They would not be there otherwise. So why should the university change what is already working just fine for them? There are zero factors compelling them to do anything.

A poll of that crowd would reveal nothing new other than those fans are still going to games in spite of the fact Joe has not been honored. They would not be there otherwise. So why should the university change what is already working just fine for them? There are zero factors compelling them to do anything.
11-11 is working just fine? What would compel them to do anything? How about it would be the right thing to do.

ADVERTISEMENT