ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Four-Star DE Tomarrion Parker decommits from PSU

Gotta keep recruits from reading this board and discovering that Franklin is a terrible coach, his assistants are terrible coaches, and we will be lucky if we don’t lose at least four games this year.

Oh.....and no way will CJF still be Coach their final year.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

Reactions: FlyinLion1
Gotta keep recruits from reading this board and discovering that Franklin is a terrible coach, his assistants are terrible coaches, and we will be lucky if we don’t lose at least four games this year.

11-11.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286

Not being ranked is not helping, it should give the current team some extra motivation, but it is not a good look as far as the recruits go.

Reactions: MacNit07
This has nothing to do with rankings and much to do about NIL.
Let's be honest, it's a whole different ballgame down South when it comes to ethics in CF. If you follow recruiting, the Midwest teams - ND, PSU, and OSU - have all lost recruits and flips to Southern teams already this recruiting class. As for Michigan, they have very few recruits in their 2023 class that anyone else wants.

Let's be honest, it's a whole different ballgame down South when it comes to ethics in CF. If you follow recruiting, the Midwest teams - ND, PSU, and OSU - have all lost recruits and flips to Southern teams already this recruiting class. As for Michigan, they have very few recruits in their 2023 class that anyone else wants.

Michigan's one legit recruit (a 4* LB from Tennessee) flipped to UGA. Other than him, yeah.......their class is really sub-standard.

Good chance that ND's prized 5* edge will flip to either Bama or OSU.

Aside from the way southern schools are using NIL (vs. how the northern schools are using it), we also have to consider that southern kids are probably more comfortable down south than at northern schools -- all else being equal. So it's an uphill battle to land and keep elite-level southern kids for numerous reasons.

Michigan's one legit recruit (a 4* LB from Tennessee) flipped to UGA. Other than him, yeah.......their class is really sub-standard.

Good chance that ND's prized 5* edge will flip to either Bama or OSU.

Aside from the way southern schools are using NIL (vs. how the northern schools are using it), we also have to consider that southern kids are probably more comfortable down south than at northern schools -- all else being equal. So it's an uphill battle to land and keep elite-level southern kids for numerous reasons.
Good point about Southern kids feeling more comfortable down South

Seriously, I can't figure out what's going on with Michigan's recruiting. Coming off of a B1G championship in 2021, they should be killing it right now, Just have to wonder if 2021 was their one shining moment for the next few years?

It's beginning to appear like it's a big waste of time recruiting kids from those states. Even if they come up for their freshman year, I have to believe that the attrition rate for them would be great after experiencing a Northeastern winter and being far from home.

This is not about ethics. NIL is legal and it's important to these kids. Penn State is behind and getting further behind. Have you supported Success with Honor? While I realize NIL and money are not favorite topics for many Penn Staters, but it is reality and it is legal. We either participate or we lose ground. Those are the facts.

This is becoming a recurring problem for southern recruits. We nab an early verbal and later on an SEC school flips them. It happened with Justin Fields, and now 2 more this season. I'm not sure what can be done about it but it sure would be nice to pull some southern recruits more consistently and have them stick after they verbal.

This is becoming a recurring problem for southern recruits. We nab an early verbal and later on an SEC school flips them. It happened with Justin Fields, and now 2 more this season. I'm not sure what can be done about it but it sure would be nice to pull some southern recruits more consistently and have them stick after they verbal.

The good news is, it's definitely not unique to us and it's not new. OSU has had several southern kids flip in recent years. Michigan has as well.

The problem is, you pretty much have to recruit the south if you're going to compete at a national level. The talent in PA-OH-MI isn't what it used to be, whereas talent in GA is skyrocketing and is damn near at the FL/TX/CA level. Even though the risk of flipping is higher, coaches have to recruit the south -- Bama and UGA can't take everybody down there. There's really no alternative.

I know it's speaking the obvious, but the more we win (and win big games), the better the brand and our appeal to kids down south.

The good news is, it's definitely not unique to us and it's not new. OSU has had several southern kids flip in recent years. Michigan has as well.

The problem is, you pretty much have to recruit the south if you're going to compete at a national level. The talent in PA-OH-MI isn't what it used to be, whereas talent in GA is skyrocketing and is damn near at the FL/TX/CA level. Even though the risk of flipping is higher, coaches have to recruit the south -- Bama and UGA can't take everybody down there. There's really no alternative.

I know it's speaking the obvious, but the more we win (and win big games), the better the brand and our appeal to kids down south.
Just what exactly would be the appeal for a southern star athlete to play for PSU as opposed to a strong SEC program. Wins? Coaching? Chance to play for a title? Weather? Scantily-clad ladies around campus in November? That balance sheet is just a little bit skewed to programs other than PSU.

Penn State doesn't even allow names on jerseys. Yeah, that is a big plus, right?

Just what exactly would be the appeal for a southern star athlete to play for PSU as opposed to a strong SEC program. Wins? Coaching? Chance to play for a title? Weather? Scantily-clad ladies around campus in November? That balance sheet is just a little bit skewed to programs other than PSU.

Penn State doesn't even allow names on jerseys. Yeah, that is a big plus, right?

Southern kids aren't any different from northern, eastern, or western kids in the sense that they're attracted to winners.

Southern kids play for Ohio State all the time. Many of their best players have been -- and continue to be -- from the south. OSU wins, they have a major brand, and they get kids to the pros in large numbers. That's why kids like them.

Not saying we need to be OSU to attract southern kids, but the formula is pretty simple (even if difficult to accomplish). Compete nationally, win big games when the whole nation is watching, and get a bunch of kids to the pros.

We're already an attractive program, but if we do those things better than what we've been doing (particularly winning big games and competing for titles), we become a very attractive program and will win plenty of recruiting battles for southern kids. As I said, Bama, UGA, and Texas A&M can't take every stud down south. There's no reason why we can't compete with LSU, Tennessee, Florida, etc. for recruits.

College football basically is becoming what college hockey is, namely a regional sport. Except for a very few programs in the Midwest like OSU, ND and Michigan, college football now has become a Southeast and Southwest sport, both in terms of high school talent and college success.

PA is so far behind even a state like Ohio now in high school football, let alone the Southern states; the number of kids playing high school football has declined dramatically in PA over the past decade, which definitely has affected PSU negatively. I believe that we may be getting to the point of no return as far as PSU being a big player in football. It more likely is going to become like a Michigan State at best.

Southern kids aren't any different from northern, eastern, or western kids in the sense that they're attracted to winners.

Southern kids play for Ohio State all the time. Many of their best players have been -- and continue to be -- from the south. OSU wins, they have a major brand, and they get kids to the pros in large numbers. That's why kids like them.

Not saying we need to be OSU to attract southern kids, but the formula is pretty simple (even if difficult to accomplish). Compete nationally, win big games when the whole nation is watching, and get a bunch of kids to the pros.

We're already an attractive program, but if we do those things better than what we've been doing (particularly winning big games and competing for titles), we become a very attractive program and will win plenty of recruiting battles for southern kids. As I said, Bama, UGA, and Texas A&M can't take every stud down south. There's no reason why we can't compete with LSU, Tennessee, Florida, etc. for recruits.
OSU also has a major city to sell, which makes a difference.

OSU also has a major city to sell, which makes a difference.
I think that's overlooked a lot as their campus is only a mile or two from downtown Columbus which has exploded the last 30 or 40 years. The city itself now has around 950,000 and the metro is approaching 2.5 million. And 99% per cent of them are Buckeye fanatics. That's a HUGE advantage when recruiting inner city HS kids.

I think that's overlooked a lot as their campus is only a mile or two from downtown Columbus which has exploded the last 30 or 40 years. The city itself now has around 950,000 and the metro is approaching 2.5 million. And 99% per cent of them are Buckeye fanatics. That's a HUGE advantage when recruiting inner city HS kids.
I was in Dublin and other suburbs of Columbus three weeks ago for my nephew's baseball tournament, and that area is continuing to expand. Our team played games at Dublin Jerome High School, and you can tell that that area is pretty new and growing.

Columbus is the largest city in Ohio. Not Cleveland or Cincy.

It has the best of both worlds. It's in a major city, but the campus far enough away from the city that it feels like a real college campus unlike a school like Pitt.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
College football basically is becoming what college hockey is, namely a regional sport. Except for a very few programs in the Midwest like OSU, ND and Michigan, college football now has become a Southeast and Southwest sport, both in terms of high school talent and college success.

PA is so far behind even a state like Ohio now in high school football, let alone the Southern states; the number of kids playing high school football has declined dramatically in PA over the past decade, which definitely has affected PSU negatively. I believe that we may be getting to the point of no return as far as PSU being a big player in football. It more likely is going to become like a Michigan State at best.
Agree with your assessment. PA kids were what made up the great teams we saw as an indy. That is a shell of its former self and Franklin is unable to even lock that down. If he can't sell PSU to PA kids it does not bode well for getting the best from another region.

There just aren't many positives about PSU that are going to appeal to a college aged kid. Look at what their priorities are. Winning would definitely address several of them, but how are you going to do that unless you have the talent to compete or the ability to develop it.

It has the best of both worlds. It's in a major city, but the campus far enough away from the city that it feels like a real college campus unlike a school like Pitt.
Actually, no. OSU is right in the City of Columbus not in the suburbs. The eastern border of campus is High Street which is the main drag through downtown.

This NIL movie won't end well for PSU. If Franklin is under cut in recruiting due to NIL and our recruiting slips from say top 15 to the #25-30 range then hello dumpster fire. Franklin cannot coach up lesser talent as we have seen so we will slip into obscurity. Sounds like the sky is falling but makes logical sense. Only ways around it won't happen soon....Franklin leaves or PSU steps up big time with NIL.

Reactions: MacNit07
This is not about ethics. NIL is legal and it's important to these kids. Penn State is behind and getting further behind. Have you supported Success with Honor? While I realize NIL and money are not favorite topics for many Penn Staters, but it is reality and it is legal. We either participate or we lose ground. Those are the facts.
College football is disappearing right before our eyes…sad

College football is disappearing right before our eyes…sad
We (my son & his 2 sons) are attending our annual home game this year. Very possibly our last. Too much player movement, NIL, food trucks around stadium gone, prices skyrocketing. With inflation and gas prices I think we'll be discontinuing our annual trip to Happy Valley. The excitement is quickly fading. I can save alot of $ and watch from home. It saddens me but hard choices must be made @ times.

Good point about Southern kids feeling more comfortable down South

Seriously, I can't figure out what's going on with Michigan's recruiting. Coming off of a B1G championship in 2021, they should be killing it right now, Just have to wonder if 2021 was their one shining moment for the next few years?
I read several articles last week on this topic from Michigan beat/sports writers. They said UM is way behind in the NIL game. Of course Harbaugh being an odd duck factors into things as well.

I read several articles last week on this topic from Michigan beat/sports writers. They said UM is way behind in the NIL game. Of course Harbaugh being an odd duck factors into things as well.
What does it say about an alleged college sport when fans of certain schools have to worry about paying their so-called "student-athletes" as much as or much more than many professional football players? This has become an absurd and untenable situation.

What does it say about an alleged college sport when fans of certain schools have to worry about paying their so-called "student-athletes" as much as or much more than many professional football players? This has become an absurd and untenable situation.
It says it near the end.

Just get off your wallet and pony up you selfish...selfish people.

Harbaugh nearly torpedoed his recruiting by trying to leave for the NFL. Michigan wouldn't renew his contract early and waited until he flirted with the Vikings essentially ruining the goodwill of a playoff appearance.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Why would a program with the "world's largest alumni base..." not be the clear leader in NIL? Must be a bunch of cheap-ass boosters.
Don't get me started. The travel is costly. Lodging is insane. Tickets and parking are whatever they are plus a big donation. Now they're shaking you down for a pool of money to hand out to eventual multi-millionaires.. Then people are on message boards saying you can help or don't complain? OK I won't complain. How's that. Gas 4.30 a gal. Tuition out of sight. Tolls $20 each way. Yeah I promise not to bitch when our Loyal Sons are 4-8. But I'll complain now. Let's see how it shakes out.

ADVERTISEMENT