ADVERTISEMENT

Former PSU Soccer coach Walter Bahr has passed away at 91

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Penn State and international soccer legend Walter Bahr, the last living member of the 1950 U.S. soccer team that upset England in the 1950 World Cup, has died. Bahr was 91.

Bahr is regarded as one of the best American soccer players of all time. He provided the assist on the goal that gave the U.S. a 1-0 win in what is considered one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history.

Bahr took over the Penn State men's soccer program in 1974 and led the Nittany Lions to the NCAA tournament 12 times in 14 years, winning 185 games from '74 to '87. He is a member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame and the National Soccer Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

His sons Matt and Chris both played soccer and football for Penn State, with both going on to NFL careers and winning a pair of Super Bowls each.

http://www.centredaily.com/latest-news/article213382914.html

such a shame.

Some years back, I coached one of his grandsons in soccer. He came to some of the games, and I made it a point to ask him coaching pointers any chance that I got.

Over the years, I asked him a lot about his US soccer career. He had some great stories.

I think the uniform he wore in the infamous 1950 World Cup game is in the Penn State Sports Museum. If I recall the story correctly, he got an assist on the goal in the USA upset of England, but he really could have had the goal. His shot was heading into the goal when his teammate, Joe Gaetjens, tapped it into the goal. Coach Bahr was the last living member of the 1950 US World Cup team -- now there are no members of the team still alive.

Again, going from memory, I think he started playing soccer as a kid at the Lighthouse Boys Club, in Philadelphia (an organization that still exists).

RIP, Coach Bahr

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
I should also note that @LionJim reportedly has always thought highly of Coach Bahr, as when he was the coach at Temple (the coaching job he had before he was coach at PSU), Coach Bahr and his family lived in the Neshaminy School District. ;)

Penn State and international soccer legend Walter Bahr, the last living member of the 1950 U.S. soccer team that upset England in the 1950 World Cup, has died. Bahr was 91.

Bahr is regarded as one of the best American soccer players of all time. He provided the assist on the goal that gave the U.S. a 1-0 win in what is considered one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history.

Bahr took over the Penn State men's soccer program in 1974 and led the Nittany Lions to the NCAA tournament 12 times in 14 years, winning 185 games from '74 to '87. He is a member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame and the National Soccer Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

His sons Matt and Chris both played soccer and football for Penn State, with both going on to NFL careers and winning a pair of Super Bowls each.

Played against Chris in high school, he at Neshaminy, I at Bensalem. There was no state championship back then, but the Neshaminy program was generally considered the best in the state most years and often the best in the country. I think they were coached by Hal Heffelfinger. Was at PSU when Walt came from Temple. He really helped the program flourish. RIP Walt.

I should also note that @LionJim reportedly has always thought highly of Coach Bahr, as when he was the coach at Temple (the coaching job he had before he was coach at PSU), Coach Bahr and his family lived in the Neshaminy School District. ;)
No, I never met Coach Bahr but was a classmate of Matt’s and had the utmost respect for him. Sorry, I’ve tried to match your levity to no avail as I’m a little bummed by the news. We’ve lost a good man today. Thanks for sharing the coaching story. I know, levity or no, that you’re likewise saddened at this news, Tom.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
I played for coach Bahr for his last 3 years and think of him often. I have quite a few memories of things he said to me and the team that I cherish but mostly I just remember the way he carried himself. I am very saddened by this news. I know we only have so many years so I've been wondering a lot lately when I come into State College about how he's been or if I just hadn't heard the news...I didn't really want the answer. RIP Coach.

I played for coach Bahr for his last 3 years and think of him often. I have quite a few memories of things he said to me and the team that I cherish but mostly I just remember the way he carried himself. I am very saddened by this news. I know we only have so many years so I've been wondering a lot lately when I come into State College about how he's been or if I just hadn't heard the news...I didn't really want the answer. RIP Coach.
I had him for my soccer class for PE majors. He was a good teacher and seemed like a really nice guy. My high school didn't have a soccer program back in that day and time. Most of what I know about teaching and coaching soccer came from Coach Barr. I always pulled for Chris and Matt both in soccer and football. He did let us know about his famous assist for team USA. He was rightfully very proud of that.

I had him for my soccer class for PE majors. He was a good teacher and seemed like a really nice guy. My high school didn't have a soccer program back in that day and time. Most of what I know about teaching and coaching soccer came from Coach Barr. I always pulled for Chris and Matt both in soccer and football. He did let us know about his famous assist for team USA. He was rightfully very proud of that.
Nice. The Bahrs had to plant themselves somewhere and we are certainly the better for their Penn State connection.

Not to hijack the thread, but Neshaminy had a gym teacher, Joel Baba, who was an Olympian, in gymnastics. He would do flags during school assemblies.

Last edited:
Had Coach Bahr and his wife, Davies, for ballroom dancing in the 70's. He was a good dancer! They were great teachers and also extremely nice people. Also often wondered how they were doing and was sad to hear this news today. RIP Coach.

RIP Mr. Bahr

If I recall the story correctly, he got an assist on the goal in the USA upset of England, but he really could have had the goal. His shot was heading into the goal when his teammate, Joe Gaetjens, tapped it into the goal.

Looks as though my memory was faulty on this. In one interview I saw excerpts of, Coach Bahr indicated that his shot was heading toward the right side of the goal (as the players face), and that the English GK would probably have saved it, but that Gaetjens had deflected the ball to the left side of the net.

Reactions: LionJim
I've put a memorial for him on Findagrave and requested Famous status. That's unlikely to happen as they don't seem to like soccer players very much (now if he'd sang opera on the side, he'd be in). I mean, I had trouble getting Johann Cruyff listed as Famous.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT