ADVERTISEMENT

Football Former Penn State TE Adam Breneman resigns as Arizona State's TE coach

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
If you have all been following along, Arizona State is in some deep water with recruiting violations and former Penn State tight end Adam Breneman has found himself in the middle of the mess. Breneman was placed on leave last Summer before resigning today. I personally expect the NCAA to come down hard on Arizona State, they're going to be facing several Level I allegations. They also fired their offensive coordinator Zak Hill today.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ouch. AB was a great kid, while at PSU and did a TON of charity work. Hate to see this happen to him and hope it doesn't stain his burgeoning career. But if he's guilty of cheating, so be it.
I feel like he won't be in coaching for a while after this one, whether it's fair or not. That being said, he should have a ton of options outside of football including in politics where we've seen him in the past as a campaign manager.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Is this a ****ing joke? Here is what happened, apparently (hey, I can only read what the idiots are saying):

The violations mostly stem from the recruiting dead period that was in place until June 1. Division I programs did not allow any in-person interactions for 15 months. Arizona State illicitly hosted upwards of 30 recruits during this time.

The evidence states that most of the football staff was in on the activities taking place. Recruits would bring their families and friends on campus visits. They would see all of the team’s facilities and meet with football program personnel.

Recruits were even on campus during the season. Everything about these visits seemed official, with coaches even referencing “official visit weekends” in their staff meetings. These activities became normal in the day-to-day operations of the program.

Seriously, I just give up. We are now straight up paying players (NIL), and the problem is they were hosting recruits during the sacred "dead period".

I mean, if we're doing that - everyone involved must be the devil.

Is this a ****ing joke? Here is what happened, apparently (hey, I can only read what the idiots are saying):

The violations mostly stem from the recruiting dead period that was in place until June 1. Division I programs did not allow any in-person interactions for 15 months. Arizona State illicitly hosted upwards of 30 recruits during this time.

The evidence states that most of the football staff was in on the activities taking place. Recruits would bring their families and friends on campus visits. They would see all of the team’s facilities and meet with football program personnel.

Recruits were even on campus during the season. Everything about these visits seemed official, with coaches even referencing “official visit weekends” in their staff meetings. These activities became normal in the day-to-day operations of the program.

Seriously, I just give up. We are now straight up paying players (NIL), and the problem is they were hosting recruits during the sacred "dead period".

So why should he and ASU be above the rules? Do you just pick and choose the laws you like? What does NIL have to do with any of this? It allowed under the rules and everyone is doing it.

Reactions: canuckhal
So why should he and ASU be above the rules? Do you just pick and choose the laws you like? What does NIL have to do with any of this? It allowed under the rules and everyone is doing it.
Who really cares about the dead period?

Isn't it just a little silly to pretend that there's some sort of amateurism at this point?

Whatever.

I dont agree with you, as this gave them an advantage to recruitI got. Look at the impact of no visits had to PSU. It should be also noted that travel was paid for some of those visitors on the personal credit cards of the coaches to avoid detection.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuckhal
Who really cares about the dead period?

Isn't it just a little silly to pretend that there's some sort of amateurism at this point?

Whatever.
What does amateurism have to do with having rules and regulations? The NFL is a professional league and still has rules. Sounds like you are just but hurt that players are now able to make a little bit of money off their labor instead of the indentured servant model that you seem to prefer.

Reactions: Eph97
What does amateurism have to do with having rules and regulations? The NFL is a professional league and still has rules. Sounds like you are just but hurt that players are now able to make a little bit of money off their labor instead of the indentured servant model that you seem to prefer.
.......instead of the indentured servant model that you seem to prefer.

A bit melodramatic don't you think. Players are free to leave anytime they want to; a choice that indentured servants never had.

Whatever happened to the notion that kids went to college to get an education, find a good job, support their family and make something good and decent of their lives?

Reactions: Graff22

I agree, this illustrates what a mess college football is, and what out of touch boondoggle the NCAA has become. You can 'authorize' all kinds of behind the scenes influence DURING the entire year justified under NIL and a simple visit 'during a quiet period' is a capital crime...really. I think some reconciliation of values (where there may be none) are in order.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
Whatever happened to the notion that kids went to college to get an education, find a good job, support their family and make something good and decent of their lives?
Supporting you and your family with NIL-gotten funds may end up if wisely done do all the above....maybe not for everyone or in the classic sense.

I feel for him. In the end he did what he did, but he certainly was not the mastermind nor did he do this alone.

I’m sure as a young coach he was put in a horrible position when he was told to do this. Yet, he did not do the right thing and say f you. He did not realize he had the ground to stand on. If ASU would have fired him for not going along with this, he could have easily won legally.

He will pay for going along with what he was told to do, but he will get another chance down the road. Very tough life lesson for him right now.

It is because ASU thumbed it’s nose at COVID. That is their unforgivable sin. I’m actually surprised Herm Edwards has survived this so far.

Reactions: bytir
So where does it end..,,. Say I am a recruit and I sign with the highest NIL bidder. the little bit of money could be millions.. Why should I play at a school for NIL of 500K where say another school is offering 2 million in that little bit of money pool.

Recruiting violations in college football, that’s rich!!!. NCAA needs to take a ride, mob style. Rules and regulations in collegiate sports, is over. Deion Sanders is probably laughing his a$$ off.

Reactions: psrurock
This! If I recall, Adam was a GA at the time. No GA is paying for a recruit’s travel without being directed to do so. Herm ordered the Code Red and the orders flowed down. Adam’s likely guilty, but Herm needs to accept responsibility.
He was a full time coach at the time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT