ADVERTISEMENT

Former gymnastics coach sues Penn State

He’s not coaching at last chance u? He can go coach and swear there all he wants

"Thompson was also informed swearing would not be tolerated and that he was not to yell or use sarcasm around the team. Athletic Director Sandy Barbour told Thompson to keep the team happy and not worry about winning."

Um, keep in mind this is the word of someone who was fired for abusing players. That may have been what HE heard but the truth is probably quite different.

I can't picture ANY AD anywhere telling a coach the university doesn't care about winning.

I can picture an AD telling a coach that verbally abusing players -- physically or verbally -- is not acceptable. That even winning doesn't justify abuse.

If you don't understand why ADs would be concerned about this, just read up on Rutgers and the basketball coach who was throwing tantrums (and chairs). All it takes is one iphone video and your whole athletic program is in crisis. You just can't away with stuff you used to be able to.

James Franklin, I am confident, raises his voice a lot, has the respect of his players, demands commitment, has the highest standards -- but he is not going to verbally abuse them to have success.

Reactions: LionJim
Regarding a dude coaching women in college gymnastics in 2018, not a lot of wiggle room. I side with Sandy on this one.

Sandy probable told him his first priority was to take care of the student athletes.

Well...… How quickly we forget :) :

WHATEVER was going on - it was going on for years...…. and multiple complaints were brought to Charmelle Green :p and Sandy Barbour :rolleyes:……… and no actions were taken.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/features/article_d0ae8e90-051f-11e6-aa96-0b85cc3a2ad0.html

Not until the Collegian (of all sources :)) "broke the story" in early April 2016.

THEN ;), it prompted Sandy to become "concerned"
("Nothing to see here", until someone breaks through and makes it public. Then we see all the Bloviating Bureaucrats biting their lower lips and trying to play the "We are all so concerned" crap. Including of course, in this case, firing the easily-replaceable Coaches.
Sound familiar? )

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/features/article_c5643610-0dc2-11e6-9f17-cffbf9c472cb.html

You couldn't make this shit up of you tried.
Well...… How quickly we forget :) :

WHATEVER was going on - it was going on for years...…. and multiple complaints were brought to Charmelle Green :p and Sandy Barbour :rolleyes:……… and no actions were taken.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/features/article_d0ae8e90-051f-11e6-aa96-0b85cc3a2ad0.html

Not until the Collegian (of all sources :)) "broke the story" in early April 2016.

THEN ;), it prompted Sandy to become "concerned"
("Nothing to see here", until someone breaks through and makes it public. Then we see all the Bloviating Bureaucrats biting their lower lips and trying to play the "We are all so concerned" crap. Including of course, in this case, firing the easily-replaceable Coaches.
Sound familiar? )

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/features/article_c5643610-0dc2-11e6-9f17-cffbf9c472cb.html

You couldn't make this shit up of you tried.
Not sure if you've ever been in a leadership position.

Problem is, everyone is constrained for resources so there is never enough time to move down your list of "to dos". The next issues is one that I'll call "noise". You always get the complainers, even against the best of managers. Its like listening to AM radio while driving down the road. There is static noise, more and less as you drive along, and it is hard to hear the words through the static. A person in Sandy's position hear's complaints on a day in and day out basis. I am sure that her priority is Title IX and sexual/racial complaints. Complaints of meanness and lack of respect simply won't make it to the front burner until there is a inflection point event. Every player in every sport will feel a coach was mean and disrespectful at some point. So until there is an event that cuts through the noise, it often gets ignored or, simply, doesn't rise to the level of meaningful action.

Watching Sandy, this is a strike against her. At some point, a good leader can't afford too many of these strikes, but so far she's got a pretty good track record.

Not sure if you've ever been in a leadership position.

Problem is, everyone is constrained for resources so there is never enough time to move down your list of "to dos". The next issues is one that I'll call "noise". You always get the complainers, even against the best of managers. Its like listening to AM radio while driving down the road. There is static noise, more and less as you drive along, and it is hard to hear the words through the static. A person in Sandy's position hear's complaints on a day in and day out basis. I am sure that her priority is Title IX and sexual/racial complaints. Complaints of meanness and lack of respect simply won't make it to the front burner until there is a inflection point event. Every player in every sport will feel a coach was mean and disrespectful at some point. So until there is an event that cuts through the noise, it often gets ignored or, simply, doesn't rise to the level of meaningful action.

Watching Sandy, this is a strike against her. At some point, a good leader can't afford too many of these strikes, but so far she's got a pretty good track record.

Except that Barbour had at least two subordinates on point here, one of whom, I believe, was involved in the Kaidanov clusterfvck. How many strikes does that person get?

How many strikes?

Let me know when Sandy - or any department under her "command" - at any time in her career - has had a season wherein she hits at above the Mendoza Line.

th

I'm still waiting for the announcement of the commencement of Phase I of the Facilities Master Plan. Didn't someone post that iot might be in August?

Reactions: stormingnorm
Um, keep in mind this is the word of someone who was fired for abusing players. That may have been what HE heard but the truth is probably quite different.

I can't picture ANY AD anywhere telling a coach the university doesn't care about winning.

I can picture an AD telling a coach that verbally abusing players -- physically or verbally -- is not acceptable. That even winning doesn't justify abuse.

If you don't understand why ADs would be concerned about this, just read up on Rutgers and the basketball coach who was throwing tantrums (and chairs). All it takes is one iphone video and your whole athletic program is in crisis. You just can't away with stuff you used to be able to.

James Franklin, I am confident, raises his voice a lot, has the respect of his players, demands commitment, has the highest standards -- but he is not going to verbally abuse them to have success.

But Franklin uses sarcasm. Fire him!

ADVERTISEMENT