ADVERTISEMENT

For you Trace haters

Collins is clearly our best ever. It was nice of him to pay Trace a compliment but Trace was never as good as Collins. Few ever have been in college football. That doesn't take away from what Trace has accomplished.

I'll take Chuck Fusina, any day and twice on Sunday, over Trace however; Trace was one very good QB for PSU the past three years.

Different era's.

Collins is clearly our best ever. It was nice of him to pay Trace a compliment but Trace was never as good as Collins. Few ever have been in college football. That doesn't take away from what Trace has accomplished.

Collins had NFL players galore on his teams....not sure what we have yet...Trace almost beat OSU by himself...love Collins...was there when he was...but Trace got a shitload out of teams that did not have that much (see O-Line issues, etc) Standing by my opinion...

Reactions: TheGLOV
Collins had NFL players galore on his teams....not sure what we have yet...Trace almost beat OSU by himself...love Collins...was there when he was...but Trace got a shitload out of teams that did not have that much (see O-Line issues, etc) Standing by my opinion...

"Almost beat OSU by himself?

Come on! Reality check here sir!!

"Almost beat OSU by himself?

Come on! Reality check here sir!!

That was an incredible performance by Trace. It'd have been considered legendary if we got the win and he would've been right in the middle of the Heisman talk. That's the kind of game you risk everything to win, but we lost it and it took a toll physically on Trace. Still wonder what would've happened if he had the ball in his hands on 4th down with a chance to pass or make something happen with his feet.

That was an incredible performance by Trace. It'd have been considered legendary if we got the win and he would've been right in the middle of the Heisman talk. That's the kind of game you risk everything to win, but we lost it and it took a toll physically on Trace. Still wonder what would've happened if he had the ball in his hands on 4th down with a chance to pass or make something happen with his feet.

Me too!!

Trace had Gesicki, Hamilton and Barkley last year. We're discussing their entire career. Trace was not very good this year and Collins would have done more with the team around him in 2017 than Trace did. If the Trace we saw against Ohio State was the Trace we saw most of the time you might have an argument. Actually, Collins was still better

Trace had Gesicki, Hamilton and Barkley last year. We're discussing their entire career. Trace was not very good this year and Collins would have done more with the team around him in 2017 than Trace did. If the Trace we saw against Ohio State was the Trace we saw most of the time you might have an argument. Actually, Collins was still better

Collins was great in 94. Before that, he was very ehh. That 94 team had one of the best collections of offensive talent on a college team (Collins, Carter, Brady, Engram, several NFL o lineman). If your argument is that Collins did more with less talent, I couldn’t disagree more.

Imagine if we switched the 2016 and 1994 rosters but left the QBs on those teams and schemes in place. Trace might have won a National title in 2016 if he had the 94 talent. Kerry would be looking at 4 or more losses in 1994 if he was working with the 2016 talent.

I also think that if you simply switched the QBs on the 1994 and 2016 teams that Trace would be able to successfully run the 94 offense and probably go undefeated with that talent. As great as Kerry was, I think he gets destroyed trying to run our 2016 offense behind the 2016 line (which was very young and in rebuilding mode).

In short, I would argue that Kerry played with the best collection of offensive talent in Penn State history and I don’t think it is really that close.

I don’t believe the term Trace haters is accurate. Part of the call for benching was it became obvious his sore knee was impacting this throwing and accuracy, and he wasn’t able to play close to his high level. The kid is a warrior, don’t think anyone on this board will dispute that.

Not even close and I didn't throw in rushing numbers because Kerry virtually had none....

Kerry
Passing
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Penn State Ind QB 12 3 6 50.0 95 15.8 11.7 1 1 204.7
1992 Penn State Ind QB 11 64 137 46.7 925 6.8 6.7 4 2 110.1
1993 Penn State Big Ten QB 11 127 250 50.8 1605 6.4 5.5 13 11 113.1
1994 Penn State Big Ten QB 11 176 264 66.7 2679 10.1 10.5 21 7 172.9
Career Penn State 370 657 56.3 5304 8.1 7.8 39 21 137.3

Trace;
Passing
Year
Penn State Big Ten FR QB 6 20 40 50.0 185 4.6 5.6 2 0 105.4
*2016 Penn State Big Ten SO QB 14 224 387 57.9 3614 9.3 9.9 29 8 156.9
*2017 Penn State Big Ten JR QB 13 284 427 66.5 3570 8.4 8.6 28 10 153.7
2018 Penn State Big Ten SR QB 12 176 329 53.5 2285 6.9 7.1 16 6 124.2
Career Penn State 704 1183 59.5 9654 8.2 8.5 75 24 144.9

He had the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game. He ran and passed both.

What do you think of your new coach Ryan Day?

Reactions: 81b&w
and I know there are some on here that wanted him bench. He has one huge fan. Kerry Collins, who said he is best ever to play at Penn State.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...sufb_sf&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
One of the biggest surprises ever at PSU.
He came in as just a prospect who would get an opportunity. No top rated 4 or 5 star HS QB who had offers from every major D1 school.
Other schools saw him as a DB.
Size wise he is the exception rather than the rule.
His records may be skewed in the sense it's a different game today.

Not even close and I didn't throw in rushing numbers because Kerry virtually had none....

Kerry
Passing
Year
Penn State Ind QB 12 3 6 50.0 95 15.8 11.7 1 1 204.7
1992 Penn State Ind QB 11 64 137 46.7 925 6.8 6.7 4 2 110.1
1993 Penn State Big Ten QB 11 127 250 50.8 1605 6.4 5.5 13 11 113.1
1994 Penn State Big Ten QB 11 176 264 66.7 2679 10.1 10.5 21 7 172.9
Career Penn State 370 657 56.3 5304 8.1 7.8 39 21 137.3

Trace;
Passing
Year
Penn State Big Ten FR QB 6 20 40 50.0 185 4.6 5.6 2 0 105.4
*2016 Penn State Big Ten SO QB 14 224 387 57.9 3614 9.3 9.9 29 8 156.9
*2017 Penn State Big Ten JR QB 13 284 427 66.5 3570 8.4 8.6 28 10 153.7
2018 Penn State Big Ten SR QB 12 176 329 53.5 2285 6.9 7.1 16 6 124.2
Career Penn State 704 1183 59.5 9654 8.2 8.5 75 24 144.9

You're ignoring the era in which they played. Collins is, without question, the better QB. He threw for 2679 yards on 264 passes. Trace threw 2285 on 329 attempts this year. One is clearly superior.

Yes, the 1994 team was probably our most talent offense ever but Gesicki, Hamilton & Barkley isn't too far off especially considering how little defense is played in this era.

You're ignoring the era in which they played. Collins is, without question, the better QB. He threw for 2679 yards on 264 passes. Trace threw 2285 on 329 attempts this year. One is clearly superior.

Yes, the 1994 team was probably our most talent offense ever but Gesicki, Hamilton & Barkley isn't too far off especially considering how little defense is played in this era.

Wrong!

You are being very selective. Kerry was terrific, but Trace was more productive by just about every metric. And the 1994 team was one of the most talented college offenses ever. The greatest ever QB at Penn State is very subjective. Different people can have different opinions and nobody is necessarily wrong (Hufnagel, Fusina, Blackledge, Collins, Robinson, Clark, Trace, etc.). The difference between Trace and many of those guys is that they played on fully stocked teams while Trace was on teams (especially 2016) ravaged by sanctions. Our offense would have been dead in the water in 2016 without Trace’s ability to buy time in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. I think Trace could have played in any of the previous eras / offenses and been successful. I don’t think the reverse is true for many of the great QBs who have been through the program. In short, I think Trace has done more with less depth than just about any PSU QB in any era. That is JMO, however.

Reactions: 81b&w

Just disagree

and I know there are some on here that wanted him bench. He has one huge fan. Kerry Collins, who said he is best ever to play at Penn State.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...sufb_sf&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Is the issue at bar 'Trace was the greatest player ever to don a PSU uniform', or 'Trace should've been benched in favor of Stevens'? I'll assume the former. Otherwise, you seem to be seeking confirmation bias.

Well, Trace certainly has the pedigree (career stats) to make the claim, however, there's no doubt some of it is due to having a strong supporting cast around him; namely, Godwin, Barkley, Gesiki and Hamilton. In 2017 we had five "receivers " with 50 receptions or more. We hade none in 2018. Trace's QB rating was 156.9, 153.7 and 124.3 in 2016, 2017 and 2018 respectively. So let's just say Trace has a gift, and that gift is getting the most of those around him. There's no crime in it. After all, isn't that what QBs are supposed to do.

I thank you.

Reactions: 1PSU1
If I am not mistaken, the 94 team gave up a total of 5 sacks FOR THE SEASON.

Unless Kerry Collins posts on this board, his opinion is meaningless.
Well I know a lot of smart people who do not post on any board. And I know many who have been raked over the coals for their opinions here. Please post a list of all those who are members and still have meaningless opinions, so that I can tell the difference by your standards.

I'm pretty sure the reason anyone wanted him "benched" was because he looked to be injured. If I have to choose between an injured QB or one that is not injured starting I'm taking the guy who is NOT injured.

I don't think anybody ever wanted a healthy Trace McSorley benched.
Do you remember the discussions when the coaches wouldn’t play Devlin when our starter was hurt? Same thing.

I'll let her check me.

You get on a shrinks couch now!!

He made key play after key play. Check his stats. Please tell me who else on our offense did anything noteworthy (aside from Johnson's Odell impression)? He was a one-man show...not sure why you can't see that...hitting the egg-nog too early?

He made key play after key play. Check his stats. Please tell me who else on our offense did anything noteworthy (aside from Johnson's Odell impression)? He was a one-man show...not sure why you can't see that...hitting the egg-nog too early?

What part of: "He did NOT do it all by himself do you NOT understand?"

The consonants or the vowels??

And I prefer Seagram's VO or Black Velvet sir!!

What part of: "He did NOT do it all by himself do you NOT understand?"

The consonants or the vowels??

And I prefer Seagram's VO or Black Velvet sir!!

So....who else did anything world-beating in the game you were watching? Sure you weren't watching the Bobby Engram/Kerry Collins game from '94? What is your deal? If you do not think Trace got us the lead and kept us in the game offensively (defense played lights-out until 8:00 left in the game) you've hit the Seagram's and the BV way too early. Bottoms up!

So....who else did anything world-beating in the game you were watching? Sure you weren't watching the Bobby Engram/Kerry Collins game from '94? What is your deal? If you do not think Trace got us the lead and kept us in the game offensively (defense played lights-out until 8:00 left in the game) you've hit the Seagram's and the BV way too early. Bottoms up!

What is your deal?

You are wrong and can't seem to accept that.

You need referred to Alcoholic Anonymous ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT