ADVERTISEMENT

For you GLOV: Most Overrated Stat in Football...

Negative plays.... lost yds, sacks, penalties, turnovers, blocked kicks determines who loses. Minimize and you win. Pretty simple formula.

I posted this in the Strange Stat thread started by mrtailgate on Sunday evening, but because it is directly relevant to this thread, I'll copy it here.

I am doing this from fading memory, so the exact details may be wrong, but in 1994 the talking heads at halftime said something like this:
"Here is how statistics can sometimes be misleading. The time of possession at halftime of the Penn State - Northwestern game shows Northwestern leading with a time of possession of 24 minutes 43 seconds to Penn State's 5 minutes 17 seconds. The score at halftime is 38 -6...(long pause)...Penn State."

Update - here is a link that describes the game in some detail. That 1994 team was amazing:
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/20/sports/college-football-penn-state-defense-provides-offense.html

Reactions: 91Joe95 and papa_ed
I posted this in the Strange Stat thread started by mrtailgate on Sunday evening, but because it is directly relevant to this thread, I'll copy it here.

I am doing this from fading memory, so the exact details may be wrong, but in 1994 the talking heads at halftime said something like this:
"Here is how statistics can sometimes be misleading. The time of possession at halftime of the Penn State - Northwestern game shows Northwestern leading with a time of possession of 24 minutes 43 seconds to Penn State's 5 minutes 17 seconds. The score at halftime is 38 -6...(long pause)...Penn State."

Update - here is a link that describes the game in some detail. That 1994 team was amazing:
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/20/sports/college-football-penn-state-defense-provides-offense.html

If I’m remembering correctly either for the year or at some point in that 1994. The PS Offense average scoring drive was like just over 2 minutes of possession time.

Kinda amazing.

Reactions: 91Joe95
If I’m remembering correctly either for the year or at some point in that 1994. The PS Offense average scoring drive was like just over 2 minutes of possession time.

Kinda amazing.

Particularly because the Hurry Up / Tempo type of offense was still in it's early days and we were in no way running it. Just an entire offense, even the subs, that were all NFL quality who happened to be here at the time.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and TheGLOV

Kinda amazing.

Correction sir.

On average, that offense scored 1:18 .

That was an ESPN/ABC sports fact that was talked about a ton back then.

One minute and eighteen seconds.

A lot of coaches like to defer to get it first in the second half for the idea of potentially doubling up on possessions. If you can get the last possession of the first half (both teams had equal possessions) you keep their offense off for a longer period of time and you can potentially have one more possession overall.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Particularly because the Hurry Up / Tempo type of offense was still in it's early days and we were in no way running it. Just an entire offense, even the subs, that were all NFL quality who happened to be here at the time.
Basically the last team Joe worked his ass off to recruit to Penn State as he prepared for Big10 play.

I really wish it had been a young Joe that had taken Penn State into Big10 play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT