ADVERTISEMENT

For those that attended the game - Auburn fan feedback?

I’ve been lucky enough to travel to quite a few road destinations over the years. The only places I’ve had issues were Ohio state and Pitt. Pitt was quite a bit worse though.
The first game of the Pitt and PSU series. I was making my way to my seat, being friendly and one of the Pitt fans said "I should push you down the stands" I hope that makes sense anyhow it could have been the Paterno hat I was wearing.

The first game of the Pitt and PSU series. I was making my way to my seat, being friendly and one of the Pitt fans said "I should push you down the stands" I hope that makes sense anyhow it could have been the Paterno hat I was wearing.
How have you lived so long.

Reactions: jbenedict
All Auburn fans I chatted with seemed to have a great time and encouraged us to make the trip down south next year. I did see several different groups of PSU students chant “Roll Tide” to all Auburn fans, which I thought was pretty unoriginal. Heard a few Auburn fans mention Sandusky and Ped State…real creative. It was my first PSU home game in 7-8 years. I was blown away by the energy in the stadium. From 6pm to the final whistle, the energy is non-stop. It was a great day. Nothing unexpected as far as fan behavior goes. As one poster said, a night whiteout vs an SEC team with people drinking all day…no chance you don’t hear something negative. Some people just need to stop looking to be offended. Go State!

I interacted with a lot of Auburn fans, and there were a LOT of them, and all were friendly. Four younger Auburn fans sat in front of us. One was so drunk that I didn't think he would survive the evening. (He did.) In spite of his level of intoxication, he was very polite, as were his companions. Full disclosure, I was hosting an Army buddy who was an Auburn grad.

Talked with several Auburn fans. They all said they had a great time and we’re well treated. I met one couple who flew in. Their plane got diverted to Williamsport because the PSU airport was overcrowded. They said they were trying to figure out how they were going to get to the game. They were looking at $400 to have a cab/Uber take them. And they would more than likely miss the start of the game.

They somehow got connected with a former PSU player from the early 80’s. He had access to a car and gave them a ride to the game.

I talked with many Auburn fans (very few after that game). I was working at the game. They were all friendly and polite. I even talked to the parent of a player (true freshman who didn't play). Again all were friendly and seemed to really enjoy the experience

I talked with many Auburn fans (very few after that game). I was working at the game. They were all friendly and polite. I even talked to the parent of a player (true freshman who didn't play). Again all were friendly and seemed to really enjoy the experience
I ran into some more at Sheetz on the way home... They were still great

After how great the Wisconsin fans (minus drunk students) treated us in Madison, I went out of my way to welcome as many AU fans as possible. Tailgating, the long line getting into the stadium, in our seats and at the hotel the next morning. I would ask about their time in HV and they unanimously said it was great. Several hoped I would be at the game next year and gave me suggestions on places to stay and what to see.

I’m glad I missed the negative parts.

It would have to be because none of the Pittsburgh area kids could actually get into college. Or afford it.

You Inbred dipshit.
LOL....wut? Pittsburgh kid here who not only got into PSU, but graduated with highest distinction and graduated with no student debt.

For the record, I never hated Philly before I got to PSU. Growing up in Pittsburgh, Philly was an afterthought. Then I got to PSU and found that inexplicably the Philly kids hated the Pittsburgh kids. I still don't understand why. Pro sports team jealousy, I guess?

It's a shame because Philly is a cool city, with some cool people. Too bad there are aholes who ruin its reputation.

Reactions: nits74
Then again, I heard a news channel describe Pennsylvania (during election night) as consisting of "Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Alabama".

That is something James Carville came up with. It never made any sense and somehow manages to insult two unrelated states at the same time. And he made a living in politics... somehow

if the point is that the rural parts are different than the urban parts, that is true in every state in America. But there are other urban parts.

We had about a dozen Auburn fans at our tailgate for a couple of hours. All 65+ year old, though a few younger Auburn fans stopped to talk to them. They were great. They proudly wore their Auburn gear. I don’t think they felt they would win. Didn’t like Nix. They invited us to come down next year a few days early, play some golf (one of the Robert Trent Jones Trail complexes is nearby). One had worked with the athletic department ( I think during the Tuberville era) in the past and told of one trip to Syracuse that he didn’t like very much. No air conditioning in Carrier Dome. They were all very knowledgeable, former college athletes (no football) and said generally the home team’s fans welcome them but always run into a few “drunk” idiots. They had good stories of how Cam Newton’s father‘s church (he was a minister) suddenly became one of the richest churches in Georgia.

They take two away trips per year. Usually one drivable where they take their wives and then one “buddies” trip. They did have a few wives with them here. They said by far the worst trip they ever had was to Morgantown. They actually felt threatened! They loved the tailgating atmosphere at PSU, all the (fairly close) tailgating lots. Of course, the weather was perfect. However, they were not blown away as it seems Southern tailgating is pretty good, too. I wish I could have talked to them after the game. They were staying in Altoona but coming back Sunday to play golf at one of the Penn State courses.

I have visited Auburn, though not for football. It is a beautiful campus and college town. Much like State College. Auburn, like Penn State, was a land grant university, founded primarily for agricultural interests. I probably will not take them up on their invitation next year, but I think it would be a great trip. Very easy drive ( maybe 1 hour 45 minutes right down an interstate) from Atlanta Airport.

College kids / recent post grads drinkings talking shit ... happens everywhere ... can't let that you have a bad experience.

LOL....wut? Pittsburgh kid here who not only got into PSU, but graduated with highest distinction and graduated with no student debt.

For the record, I never hated Philly before I got to PSU. Growing up in Pittsburgh, Philly was an afterthought. Then I got to PSU and found that inexplicably the Philly kids hated the Pittsburgh kids. I still don't understand why. Pro sports team jealousy, I guess?

It's a shame because Philly is a cool city, with some cool people. Too bad there are aholes who ruin its reputation.
This x 100! Same experience. I never even thought twice about Philly before PSU.

Reactions: Bessmoney
Had a chance to speak to quite a few Auburn fans in RV lot 43 they were very impressed with all the RVs and the size of the tailgating done all around the stadium. They all said that everyone had been treated very well by our fans and were hoping they could reciprocate next year but the #1 question I was ask was what is a *Nittany Lion* I explained that it was a Mountain Lion and about Mount Nittany. All and All they were very nice people and respectful fans

I’ve been lucky enough to travel to quite a few road destinations over the years. The only places I’ve had issues were Ohio state and Pitt. Pitt was quite a bit worse though.
The only place I've been that was worse than O$U and Pitt was Iowa.

Was at the 48-14 game. Rode the game charter bus from South Hills with a bunch of Pitt fans. It's pretty bad when an 80 year old fan is cussing us out for riding a public bus that he felt should have only included Pitt fans. They were and still are pretty obnoxious.
Sounds like Nardo was on the bus!

We had a few around us yelling while Penn State was on offense. Not going to lie. The 5-6 of them were loud.
Talked with some on the way out and I said I hoped outside of the outcome they were treated well and none indicated they weren’t. Had a couple park next to us ask if we all had to wait for the cars to get out. Unfortunately, yes. Then they asked if we had any extra beer. I was grilling burgers so they joined us until the lots were more empty.
@Kellerdog was your trip a good experience?
Any other stories? I like to hear that visiting fans enjoyed their visit.

OL

I posted this in another thread. The Auburn fans sitting near me said they loved the overall experience, but that the students (or under 25 crowd) were nasty, especially the girls. One guy said a chick threw an empty can at him.....guess he should be happy it wasn't full.

They also asked: "Do they let the band play during the game?"

That constant garbage coming from the loud speakers is truly unbearable.

Reactions: EPC FAN
That is something James Carville came up with. It never made any sense and somehow manages to insult two unrelated states at the same time. And he made a living in politics... somehow

if the point is that the rural parts are different than the urban parts, that is true in every state in America. But there are other urban parts.
IDK, I grew up in the part of the state he (Carville) referred to as "Alabama in between" and pretty much agree. 🤷‍♂️

Or, maybe, people could be civil and respectful, and welcome people with very little history with our team, to our home.
They could, but they wouldn't be acting the way 18 yr old drunk students have been acting since college football existed. I have the same wish, that young adults (and sometimes older adults) would act respectfully to others, especially others they've never met before. But I've come to the realization that those drunk young adults view my wish as unrealistic.

• Love
Reactions: m48tank
I finally made it back from the game this evening..... and I rode home in a plane mostly packed with Auburn fans coming back south. Each one acknowledged my PS hat/shirt with a complimentary "what a good game" or "what a wonderful campus/university" and then added how well they all enjoyed their trip. Being that the Tigers are my adopted team behind Penn State, I have a soft spot for them and was proud that they had a great time and had great things to say.

During the day Saturday, I saw nothing but positive interactions. I did fail to help you guys out before the game, as I heard several of our fans give a good "War Eagle!" to Auburn fans passing by. For those that make the trip down here next year, if you will simply say "War Damn Eagle!" you will get a better response and most likely an invite to the tailgate, or at least a cold beer. lol

Great day, great game, great time! Hope the team keeps building on this. I know 1-0 each week. But there is a revenge factor looming soon with the Hoosiers... and then what should be a huge battle with Iowa!

We Are!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT