ADVERTISEMENT

Football goes on trial today....Ploetz vs NCAA

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
The nation’s first trial involving football and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is fast approaching. On June 11, the widow of a former Division I college football player will appear in the Dallas courtroom of Judge Ken Molberg and argue that the NCAA is legally responsible for the death of her husband. The trial will be a landmark event in the decade-long legal effort to hold football organizers responsible for long-term brain injuries suffered by participating players. If successful, the lawsuit could lead to significant changes for the sport and the NCAA.

THE DEATH OF GREG PLOETZ
Last year, Dallas resident Debra Hardin-Ploetz sued the NCAA on behalf of herself and her deceased husband, Greg Ploetz. Represented by attorney Eugene Egdorf of the Houston law firm Shrader & Associates, Hardin-Ploetz seeks to recover monetary damages for neurological injuries sustained by her late husband.

Ploetz played linebacker and defensive tackle for the University of Texas in 1968, ’69 and ’71, winning a national title in ’69 and earning Southwest Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors in ’71. Like most college football players, Ploetz’s football career ended in college. After receiving his undergraduate degree in 1972, Ploetz continued his education at Texas and earned a Master of Fine Arts in ’75, after which he became a college and high school art teacher.​

I despise the NCAA as much as anyone else but I’m not sure of her case. IIRC, the NCAA doesn’t officially run football (unlike basketball). I’m not sure of the late 60’s/ early 70’s details but I think the Southwest conference had more say on football issues back then than the NCAA did. ;).

Her husband played in 1968-1971 when there was zero understanding or knowledge of CTE. Kind of hard to accuse someone of negligence or criminality over something that no one knew about until 40 years later (post 2010 or so).

Is she suing the university of Texas?

He was an art teacher. Maybe the CTE came from sniffing too much glue and paint.

This issue will end football as we know it. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

If you can sue football entities for brain related injuries, what about suing them for injuries to other areas of the body? Also, injuries occur in all sports. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Reactions: bmw199 and Howie'81
If you can sue football entities for brain related injuries, what about suing them for injuries to other areas of the body? Also, injuries occur in all sports. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
well, I am guessing that the suit makes clear that organizing entities made clear the potential for certain injuries to other parts of the body and that the participant accepted those risks. However, they knew of or should known of brain injuries without divulging those risks to the participant.

Based on the timing, I doubt the case will amount to much....but this is the first. The rest are working their ways through court.

This issue will end football as we know it. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

How can boxing, MMA, UFC and the like survive; if football goes down? Surely, if a sport with padded helmets and uniforms doesn't make it, how can one where a person sits on another person's chest and pounds his/her face until he/she is defenseless survive?

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Well, beyond issuing him a helmet.
not sure how you mean that...but I was taught to use my helmet as a weapon by some very well meaning and thoughtful coaches. There was almost no discussion, ever, of them being a protective device. I do recall them implementing a penalty for not using your mouth guard. we started the year with a mouth guard that was attached to your face mask with a strip tie. Later, after a few penalties because the refs could see them dangling, we went to a simple device you just popped in your mouth so the refs couldn't see if you didn't put it in. Lots of concern there!

for good or for bad, Ploetz & the NCAA settled. I would assume the terms will be confidential. So we remain without precedent.

How can boxing, MMA, UFC and the like survive; if football goes down? Surely, if a sport with padded helmets and uniforms doesn't make it, how can one where a person sits on another person's chest and pounds his/her face until he/she is defenseless survive?
they won't, nor should they

ADVERTISEMENT