ADVERTISEMENT

Football changing logo to Pot Leaf

Yeah, certainly disappointing, but again, there is no season or playing-time to speak of right now. Not excusing their behavior, but these guys smoke weed, they do. I was a D1 athlete and it was apart of my locker-room too. A lot of these kids have been smoking since high school or earlier. Now, when they have a season to play, rigorous coursework, and practice, I think these guys probably abstain, they just don't have the time to sit around and smoke weed all day and they are probably undergoing NCAA mandated drug tests, but that just is'nt the environment theses days. They need to be punished and Franklin should make these players submit to drug testing more often(he can do that), but if this is a first time offense for these guys, considering the circumstance, no reason to bury them considering the crazy times right now. Now again, I don't understand why they keep getting caught. It sounds crazy, but maybe Franklin knows he has a little problem with MJ on the team and is asking the college PD to keep an eye on these guys in an effort to root it out. Sounds nuts, but MY coach employed the strategy when a teamates jilted girlfriend sent an anonoymous email to our coach telling him that we all do drugs on the regular.

I actually agree with everything you say and have done my fair share of things as well.

I guess on the flip side I am just tired of everything we are dealing with being a "these times" issue. The 2021 class is ranked in the 30's because of these times we live in. Our players are smoking weed and getting caught because the times we live in. People can protest and burn buildings because the times we live in.

Sounds like a built in excuse for "do whatever you want to do".

Would it really shock anyone if they were getting snitched on? My understanding is that the campuses are encouraging it. The cops should have better things to do but considering they run around giving fines to people for not wearing masks outside it really shouldn't surprise anyone they want to make some money off of this.

Why should the cops have better things to do?

The stuff smells terrible and if you are a neighbor to this and your apartment becomes a scene of a cheech and chong film due to a common wall what should you do?

It is not the fault of the police. Not the fault of the laws. It is the fault of the players.

LdN

The stuff smells terrible and if you are a neighbor to this and your apartment becomes a scene of a cheech and chong film due to a common wall what should you do?

It is not the fault of the police. Not the fault of the laws. It is the fault of the players.

LdN

Thank you.

PennLive:

Four Penn State football players were charged with marijuana possession Monday, pushing the number of Nittany Lions facing pot charges since July to eight.

One former Penn State football player was also charged with marijuana possession Monday, making him the second former Nittany Lion to be charged this month.

The university’s athletics department is aware of the charges against redshirt freshman linebacker Lance Dixon, redshirt freshman cornerback Daequan Hardy, redshirt freshman running back Terry Smith and freshman cornerback Joseph Johnson III, a spokesperson wrote in a statement.

“These alleged actions do not reflect the values and standards of our program and will be addressed,” the athletics department said. “We will not comment any further as this is an ongoing legal matter.”

Dixon, Hardy, Smith and Johnson were charged after a university police officer smelled pot coming from the quartet’s on-campus apartment in August.

An officer found a bag of marijuana in Dixon’s room, a “partially smoked marijuana joint” in Hardy’s room, three bags of marijuana in Smith’s room and two bags of marijuana in Johnson’s room, police wrote in an affidavit of probable cause filed Monday.

Each test of the marijuana returned a “presumptive positive result,” police wrote.

University police also charged Brandon Taylor after officers said they found marijuana in a grinder in his dorm room. Taylor was removed from the football team due to a violation of team rules, a spokesperson said.

“We appreciate Brandon’s contributions to the program and wish him success in the future,” a spokesperson said.

Dixon, 19, Johnson, 19, and Taylor, 19, were charged with one misdemeanor count each of possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Smith, 19, was charged with one misdemeanor count each of possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and one summary count of purchasing alcohol as a minor.

Hardy, 19, was charged with one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana and one summary count of carrying a false identification.

A defense lawyer was not listed for either Dixon, Johnson, Taylor, Smith or Hardy.

Taylor has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Oct. 14. Dixon, Johnson, Smith and Hardy each have a preliminary hearing scheduled for Oct. 21.

I actually agree with everything you say and have done my fair share of things as well.

I guess on the flip side I am just tired of everything we are dealing with being a "these times" issue. The 2021 class is ranked in the 30's because of these times we live in. Our players are smoking weed and getting caught because the times we live in. People can protest and burn buildings because the times we live in.

Sounds like a built in excuse for "do whatever you want to do".

Trust me, if you knew me or read any of my other posts, especially ones wading into politics, I am not an apologist for social justice demonstrations that turn violent, I am a huge believer in accountability, and in no way will I placate this generation of millennial that often seem entitled and whiny. Just that when it comes to pot specifically, kids smoke it in college....non-athletes and athletes alike. Considering the athletes are just sitting around their rooms taking virtual classes all day while their coach is travelling to and from/florida and they arent practicing regularly or being drug tested, some or many are smoking weed. Not condoning it, but it's just reality. What is strange to me however is that they seem to be getting caught at an alarming rate which leads me to believe they are either morons or something else is at play.

Like some others mentioned, even if it became legal, does not mean it would still be acceptable and allowed by team, university, etc.

Also, businesses can still make it not allowed by company policy and terminate you for violating it.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
So....I am not really a pot guy - never really cared for it because I really don't have interest in smoking. So, I will let others argue about legality.

But....don't most teams have some sort of rules about what the kids can and can't do? Even if it's legalized (which it is not in Pa - yet), wouldn't the coaches set rules about smoking weed during pre-season and season (at least)?

Reactions: LionDeNittany
So....I am not really a pot guy - never really cared for it because I really don't have interest in smoking. So, I will let others argue about legality.

But....don't most teams have some sort of rules about what the kids can and can't do? Even if it's legalized (which it is not in Pa - yet), wouldn't the coaches set rules about smoking weed during pre-season and season (at least)?
100%. Nobody's arguing that MJ isn't almost certainly a violation of team rules, or even whether smoking MJ shouldn't be a violation of team rules (it probably should!).

That's a very different conversation than whether or not these guys should be arrested for it. Let em run laps, or throw up in the weight room, or whatever. But there's just no reason for the lack of discretion here by the Penn State PD - and that's the same whether or not the people suffering of the PD's lack of discretion are on the football team or the debate club.

Reactions: LionJim
I have questions about this too. I get it, kids will be kids, especially with limited social interaction and the structure of formal school/practices, but why are these guys all getting nabbed by the PD? Are they just smoking in their rooms all over the place and getting narced on? Smoking in the middle of campus, popping LSD tablets in Atherton? If I am franklin, I guess im pissed my team clearly has a drug issue currently, but I am more concerned they are all dumb enough to get caught in this day and age. I mean, sh*t, take edibles and leave em in your room when you are not high, who even smokes weed anymore?
Who smokes weed anymore? Probably 50% of kids in college

LdN
Not defending the players, but the "smell" argument doesn't hold water. In jurisdictions where it is legal (including my own), you smell it everywhere, all the time. If your common wall neighbor smokes 24-7....too bad. Just like if they smoked cigarettes (which smell far, far worse than pot).

Well I guess Franklin has to do something, and you’re punishment isn’t too draconian.
I’m just waiting for the draw and quarter them, stretch them on a rack, or they should be crucified in front of the stadium crowd to chime in.

OK! the draw & quartering and stretching them on a rack might be a little too much, but send the third option "crucified in front of the stadium crowd " to ASB. Should be able to get 100,000 or so to watch; it worked for the Romans.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Trust me, if you knew me or read any of my other posts, especially ones wading into politics, I am not an apologist for social justice demonstrations that turn violent, I am a huge believer in accountability, and in no way will I placate this generation of millennial that often seem entitled and whiny. Just that when it comes to pot specifically, kids smoke it in college....non-athletes and athletes alike. Considering the athletes are just sitting around their rooms taking virtual classes all day while their coach is travelling to and from/florida and they arent practicing regularly or being drug tested, some or many are smoking weed. Not condoning it, but it's just reality. What is strange to me however is that they seem to be getting caught at an alarming rate which leads me to believe they are either morons or something else is at play.
Franklin went to Florida to see his family once when this was initially shut down. Why did you feel the need to blame him or bring that up?

Reactions: BBrown
Not defending the players, but the "smell" argument doesn't hold water. In jurisdictions where it is legal (including my own), you smell it everywhere, all the time. If your common wall neighbor smokes 24-7....too bad. Just like if they smoked cigarettes (which smell far, far worse than pot).

Actually you are wrong.
It is considered a nuisance and whether legal or not any decent hoa or board would stop it.

And in this case it is not legal and most likely there is no smoking in the apartments.

LdN

How many times has he been "to and from FLA"?
Seems like an odd thing to say and to bring up.

Actually you are wrong.
It is considered a nuisance and whether legal or not any decent hoa or board would stop it.

And in this case it is not legal and most likely there is no smoking in the apartments.

LdN
Few things:

1) I have previously complained to apartment landlords about cigarette smoking in neighbors apartments and they did nothing and claimed they could do nothing.

2) " any decent hoa or board would stop it." Clearly you are not familiar with urban living. Row houses have common walls, but obviously do not have HOAs or boards.

3) Anyone who voluntarily lives somewhere with an HOA needs to have their head examined.

OIP.9YCLMgqswCFDeAgro7PdMwAAAA
Isn't that taken?
2b7cc59b552fb8c7416bd918f9507484.jpg
51bAKAJthSL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Few things:

1) I have previously complained to apartment landlords about cigarette smoking in neighbors apartments and they did nothing and claimed they could do nothing.

2) " any decent hoa or board would stop it." Clearly you are not familiar with urban living. Row houses have common walls, but obviously do not have HOAs or boards.

3) Anyone who voluntarily lives somewhere with an HOA needs to have their head examined.

1. Smoking cigarettes is not the same as smoking pot. Cigarettes, if allowed in the building which I doubt in the case of PSU students, are permitted and there's not much legally to do. Other odors... like POT smoke, is not permitted and can be specifically forbidden.

2. Are these kids living in an urban area in row houses? I guess I have not been to State College recently... but again this is why I said "decent hoa or board" which you have in quotes above. Sister Mary Houses on the lower east side probably wouldn't be considered in the above quote right?

3. Well I'm on the board of my ocean front condominium. When I lived there I woke up to see the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and many times dolphins swimming. I'll be sure to get my head examined.

LdN

PennLive:

Four Penn State football players were charged with marijuana possession Monday, pushing the number of Nittany Lions facing pot charges since July to eight.

One former Penn State football player was also charged with marijuana possession Monday, making him the second former Nittany Lion to be charged this month.

The university’s athletics department is aware of the charges against redshirt freshman linebacker Lance Dixon, redshirt freshman cornerback Daequan Hardy, redshirt freshman running back Terry Smith and freshman cornerback Joseph Johnson III, a spokesperson wrote in a statement.

“These alleged actions do not reflect the values and standards of our program and will be addressed,” the athletics department said. “We will not comment any further as this is an ongoing legal matter.”

Dixon, Hardy, Smith and Johnson were charged after a university police officer smelled pot coming from the quartet’s on-campus apartment in August.

An officer found a bag of marijuana in Dixon’s room, a “partially smoked marijuana joint” in Hardy’s room, three bags of marijuana in Smith’s room and two bags of marijuana in Johnson’s room, police wrote in an affidavit of probable cause filed Monday.

Each test of the marijuana returned a “presumptive positive result,” police wrote.

University police also charged Brandon Taylor after officers said they found marijuana in a grinder in his dorm room. Taylor was removed from the football team due to a violation of team rules, a spokesperson said.

“We appreciate Brandon’s contributions to the program and wish him success in the future,” a spokesperson said.

Dixon, 19, Johnson, 19, and Taylor, 19, were charged with one misdemeanor count each of possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Smith, 19, was charged with one misdemeanor count each of possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and one summary count of purchasing alcohol as a minor.

Hardy, 19, was charged with one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana and one summary count of carrying a false identification.

A defense lawyer was not listed for either Dixon, Johnson, Taylor, Smith or Hardy.

Taylor has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Oct. 14. Dixon, Johnson, Smith and Hardy each have a preliminary hearing scheduled for Oct. 21.
As I said in another post, if they had crossed over College Ave. and got busted with a small amount or paraphernalia, it would be a citation with a small fine per borough laws. 50 feet away on campus and it's a misdemeanor. It's like shoplifting at a gift shop at a National Park being a Federal offense. That being said, these guys should have known better and deserve the punishment they get, which I'm sure will be plead down to a minor offense this time and a few game suspension.

Aside from the "everyone does it" so no answer.....does anyone think this is a correlation to hitting what seems to be a recruiting rut? Are Big Time 5 stars in to it? Do the recent "issues" maybe scare parents away and make Franklin seem like too much of a "players coach" with no discipline?
There are likely parents of recruits who will factor this into where they decide to send their son. A one-off can be explained. And you can argue whether the substance should be legalized or whether its legalization has led to negative unintended societal consequences. That's a separate issue. Most parents don't want to send their kids to a big-time CFB program with a permissive drug culture.

Few things:

LOL, my HOA can't even get the owners to clean up after their dogs or keep everyone from dumping their sofa's, mattresses, TV, Loveseats, Coffee Tables, End Tables, Dressers...in the trash corral.
I do agree about #3 but try to find a housing development, Townhouse development or Condo that doesn't have an HOA.

There are likely parents of recruits who will factor this into where they decide to send their son. A one-off can be explained. And you can argue whether the substance should be legalized or whether its legalization has led to negative unintended societal consequences. That's a separate issue. Most parents don't want to send their kids to a big-time CFB program with a permissive drug culture.

This is kind of the way I was looking at it as well. I am not saying it is the reason the 2021 class in in the 30's, but I am saying things like this could be a factor.

LOL, my HOA can't even get the owners to clean up after their dogs or keep everyone from dumping their sofa's, mattresses, TV, Loveseats, Coffee Tables, End Tables, Dressers...in the trash corral.
I do agree about #3 but try to find a housing development, Townhouse development or Condo that doesn't have an HOA.
I wouldn't live in a townhouse, housing development or condo, but that's just me.

1. Smoking cigarettes is not the same as smoking pot. Cigarettes, if allowed in the building which I doubt in the case of PSU students, are permitted and there's not much legally to do. Other odors... like POT smoke, is not permitted and can be specifically forbidden.

2. Are these kids living in an urban area in row houses? I guess I have not been to State College recently... but again this is why I said "decent hoa or board" which you have in quotes above. Sister Mary Houses on the lower east side probably wouldn't be considered in the above quote right?

3. Well I'm on the board of my ocean front condominium. When I lived there I woke up to see the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and many times dolphins swimming. I'll be sure to get my head examined.

LdN
The implication above was that even if pot was legal you couldn't smoke it in an apartment because of the smell. My argument is that if pot is legal, the smell is no different than cigarettes (or cooking fish or curry or whatever). I was not talking specifically about State College, just the logic of the argument being presented.

I would not own property oceanfront (we shouldn't build anything on barrier beach islands), but if I did, it would be a house.

So smoking can affect conditioning and facilitate detection so, as ram2020 said, why do it? When will these guys start doing edibles? CJF needs to get smarter players. 🤪

Reactions: ram2020
Franklin went to Florida to see his family once when this was initially shut down. Why did you feel the need to blame him or bring that up?

No Im sorry, I did'nt mean to implicate Franklin at all, just more of a "Cats away, mice will play" Thing. My point is that the kids are not practicing, schooling, being monitored, drug testing, etc at the same rate and kids will find ways to fill the time.

Reactions: BBrown
If so many parents of D1 recruits were concerned that their children might encounter marijuana at college, then BYU would be recruiting a lot better than they are now.

Reactions: LionJim
If so many parents of D1 recruits were concerned that their children might encounter marijuana at college, then BYU would be recruiting a lot better than they are now.
Sure, if a D1 athlete goes off campus to a party and is exposed to marijuana, that's one thing and it happens everywhere. But when the practice is embedded in the team culture, and its encountered daily in the athlete's living space, and among other teammates, that's a different scenario. Encountering the drug and having to routinely deal with it in a team setting are not the same. A recruit's parents will likely not ask the coaching staff to police and check on frat parties. But they may expect the coaching staff to be attuned to team dynamics and the living situation in dorms paid for by football scholarship money.

Sure, if a D1 athlete goes off campus to a party and is exposed to marijuana, that's one thing and it happens everywhere. But when the practice is embedded in the team culture, and its encountered daily in the athlete's living space, and among other teammates, that's a different scenario. Encountering the drug and having to routinely deal with it in a team setting are not the same. A recruit's parents will likely not ask the coaching staff to police and check on frat parties. But they may expect the coaching staff to be attuned to team dynamics and the living situation in dorms paid for by football scholarship money.
I know what you meant, and the point remains. If parents of recruits won't send their kid to a college football program where marijuana is a frequent and regular presence in the team dynamic, then there aren't going to be a whole lot of programs that those parents would approve of.

Reactions: ram2020
I know what you meant, and the point remains. If parents of recruits won't send their kid to a college football program where marijuana is a frequent and regular presence in the team dynamic, then there aren't going to be a whole lot of programs that those parents would approve of.
I haven't been to college in several decades but in my day, and I am sure it is even more liberal, MJ was used with impunity in well over half the dorm rooms on campus. It was more in off campus facilities like apartments. I am pretty sure these guys felt that they were safe and nobody cared about their MJ use. Then somebody complained. and they got busted. In my day, the RA would tell them to be more discrete and, often, show them how to be discrete (towel under the door, sometimes wet if a big blow was happening, certain sprays to knock down the smell, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if they pissed someone off and that person(s) call security as revenge.

Does the school write up the average student for using MJ in their rooms? They didn't in the early 80s.

What season?

Yada Yada. It should be legal; IT AIN'T. Therefore they broke the LAW. They deserve to be punished according to the LAW and received fair and just punishment for breaking team rules.

Me old school; give them a choice extra PT repetitions or suspension from team.
Fact is, this is a bad look for the team and I believe it will be used to negatively recruit against PSU. This is now 7 players in the last month, one of which is very bad. This needs to be cleaned up. No excuses.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Any season.

I would imagine collegiate sports teams have always had rules about what players can and can’t do.
Oh, like offseason? Though I did see that Mike Jones says this one is going be over after a vote last night... and last week... and the week before that..... and.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT