ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 8/10/18

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
No PSUers or NLWC members in the questions or answers. There is a question about Pittsburgh hosting NCAAs.

For those keeping track, this is week 97, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Once again, it's the Mike C show, as he got 2 of the 4 questions.

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

Interesting, sooooo...Foley will be in Pittsburgh for the NCAA Championships ;)!!

No PSUers or NLWC members in the questions or answers. There is a question about Pittsburgh hosting NCAAs.

For those keeping track, this is week 97, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Once again, it's the Mike C show, as he got 2 of the 4 questions.

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

There is a consideration of David Taylor in the introduction:

I wrote last week about how much David Taylor has improved over the past year. He's stronger, more creative and just better all-around than anyone he's met all season. It should reassure American wrestling fans that when contrasting Taylor style, pace and ability with that of his Russian counterpart Dauren Kurugliev there is simply no positive comparison to draw for the Dagestani.

Overall, Kurugliev lacks any indicators that he could even reach a world final against Taylor, much less be competitive or hold any advantage. Maybe I drank some Taylor family juice mixes, but after watching Kurugliev struggle mightily to get past his finals opponent I fail to see how anyone could reasonably conclude that the Russians are sending a viable threat to Budapest. Maybe Hassan Yazdanicharati is Taylor's only real competition, but even there I'd back Taylor as the heavy favorite.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
Taylor is also mentioned in response to a question about Sadulaev:

The growing pains we are seeing from Sadualev right now are the same we saw from David Taylor in 2016 and 2017. All the techniques are there, the conditioning seems to be in place, but there is a lack of sustained strength. Like with Taylor, his performance isn't a reflection of work ethic or talent as it is a body struggling to oxygenate and optimize new muscle tissue.

From my vantage point the biggest difference in Sadualev's growth pattern is that he doesn't seem to have the frame to be a fully actualized 97-kilogram wrestler. Whereas Taylor could hang muscles on his then-lanky frame, Sadulaev looks to be growing wider through the chest. That growth is fine, but he's not the same barrel-chested monster that you see with Kyle Snyder, and that might mean he's getting close to topping out on his size and strength.

Taylor is also mentioned in response to a question about Sadulaev:

My bad ... was in a real rush, and only skimmed the Mailbag. As for the intro, I don't generally include if PSU or NLWC wrestlers are in that, unless they/the program are the main focus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT