ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 5/29/15 ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
lots of PSU mentions: 1) a question about a PSU assistant coach, 2) an answer that focused on a PSU alum, and 3) a question and answer about a current PSU wrestler. Not a bad collection.

FWIW, it appears that a question from jammenz was answered by Foley.

You can access Foley's Friday Mailbag on InterMat's site at THIS LINK.

enjoy

Tom

I am surprised there wasn't a little more chatter on this subject. I mean when Terry Brands gets brought up (though not as much anymore) Hawk fans can get nervous.

Maybe it's because Foley was dismissive and makes some good points, but with as good as a prospective head coach CC could be I thought there might be a little more discussion.

I am surprised there wasn't a little more chatter on this subject. I mean when Terry Brands gets brought up (though not as much anymore) Hawk fans can get nervous.

Maybe it's because Foley was dismissive and makes some good points, but with as good as a prospective head coach CC could be I thought there might be a little more discussion.

I'm sanguine, because I think his perfect replacement (DT) is waiting in the wings.

Or maybe Varner? He's much closer to moving into full-time coaching than Taylor
I'm just thinking weight-wise, personality-wise, social media savvy, etc.

Taylor is a natural with kids - you see this when he gives clinics. I know you guys on the Hawk board fret at times with your staff keeping up with the modern recruit - I think all fan bases should. Taylor is very comfortable with Twitter, etc. I think he's going to be an amazing coach, with one of his best traits being that ability to connect.

You could have the same dynamic with the more serious/old school Brands' Brothers coupled with a Tony Ramos, for example. Though then you'd be really top-heavy in the lower weights. But I know you guys have discussed this topic.

All kids are different - some like Suriano, Lee, Manville are all business; others are way more into Twitter, etc. I think it's good to have a staff that covers all weights and has contrasting personalities.

Oooh, I like 'sanguine.' I'm sanguine because Casey seems sanguine about where he is. And who he is. Dude really seems comfortable in his own skin, at peace really. He's a man of faith who seems grateful & humble and it just really appears (to the outside) that he appreciates where he is & what he's doing.

And something else that I am fixated on but which doesn't get talked about much is the numer of potential Penn State wrestlers who are children of this coaching staff. Casey & his Olympian wife have four children, three boys. They've lived in Happy Valley for six years now. By now, they certainly know what they've got in the community & the schools & the lifestyle for their family, in addition to the wrestling career opportunities. It's gotta be a huge hassle to uproot a family of five as is, but just doesn't seem to make much sense for a dude who clearly has great perspective in any is-the-grass-greener considerations. What 'opportunity' out there would be such a draw that it'd be worth that?

Lastly, the synergy in this staff is totally fluid & efficient. Any egos there are strictly egos about winning & not about the titles of their coaching positions or who gets more final decision-making power or even more money. The titles these three guys care about, at all, are the individual & team titles of their wrestlers.

And I'd guess Casey knows exactly where he can best lead a pursuit of those.

I think if Michigan State finally made the move to make a switch (I know they are used in every example) Cunningham makes a lot of sense. He grew up in Michigan - 40 minutes away if I can believe locals who told me this. Went to college in Michigan. I know you make a lot of good points, but to me heading your own Big Ten program less than an hour's drive from where you grew up isn't a bad life either.

:cool::cool::cool:
Oooh, I like 'sanguine.' I'm sanguine because Casey seems sanguine about where he is. And who he is. Dude really seems comfortable in his own skin, at peace really. He's a man of faith who seems grateful & humble and it just really appears (to the outside) that he appreciates where he is & what he's doing.

And something else that I am fixated on but which doesn't get talked about much is the numer of potential Penn State wrestlers who are children of this coaching staff. Casey & his Olympian wife have four children, three boys. They've lived in Happy Valley for six years now. By now, they certainly know what they've got in the community & the schools & the lifestyle for their family, in addition to the wrestling career opportunities. It's gotta be a huge hassle to uproot a family of five as is, but just doesn't seem to make much sense for a dude who clearly has great perspective in any is-the-grass-greener considerations. What 'opportunity' out there would be such a draw that it'd be worth that?

Lastly, the synergy in this staff is totally fluid & efficient. Any egos there are strictly egos about winning & not about the titles of their coaching positions or who gets more final decision-making power or even more money. The titles these three guys care about, at all, are the individual & team titles of their wrestlers.

And I'd guess Casey knows exactly where he can best lead a pursuit of those.
Glad you liked it. I can bring the heat when it comes to grammar, vocabulary, and diction!

:cool:

Wish we had better emoticons.

:cool::cool::cool:
Glad you liked it. I can bring the heat when it comes to grammar, vocabulary, and diction!

:cool:

Wish we had better emoticons.
Diction's a great word, too. And it always, always reminds me of Tribe:
'Girls love the jim cuz it causes crazy friction
When it goes up in, it fluctuates their diction'

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
ADVERTISEMENT