ADVERTISEMENT

Flyers to pitch 2017 game at Beaver Stadium with Penguins.

This would be awesome, but juts too many hurdles to clear for it

to actually happen. Think of all the parking that is normally available on football weekends that wouldn't be available in the winter (i.e.- all grass lots). Not sure about the hotels issue, but it might not be enough for 2 visiting team fan bases. Then there is Beaver Stadium itself. Is it built for winter use? Isn't there an issue with winterization of plumbing or something to that effect?

I think this game is inevitable...

It's a win-win for all involved. The only question is does it make more sense to have it on NYD or when the students are in session? The league will probably push for NYD but that poses a potential problem for PSU fans if PSU is in a bowl game.

In the end, there will be enough fans from both ends of the state making a day trip to make the hotel situation a minimal issue.

Parking is a concern but not insurmoutable...

Every couple of years, the grass lots close because of rain or snow and we get by, and given the $$$ at stake, there's no reason the stadium can't wait another month to be winterized.

Re: I think this game is inevitable...

Originally posted by VaNtyLion:
It's a win-win for all involved. The only question is does it make more sense to have it on NYD or when the students are in session? The league will probably push for NYD but that poses a potential problem for PSU fans if PSU is in a bowl game.

In the end, there will be enough fans from both ends of the state making a day trip to make the hotel situation a minimal issue.
That's an important point they need to consider. Getting 100,000+ for a football game in October when classes are in session is easier than getting 100,000+ in January when the students are gone. IMO if the game happens and they want to maximize attendance it needs to be played in January after the students return. They should offer special prices for students too although I doubt that will happen since the event would not be controlled by the university.

Since the grass lots wouldn't be available, a lot of planning would need to be done to shuttle people in. Many people would go just for the sake of being able to say they were there however I have my doubts attendance would break the 100,000 mark.

This post was edited on 3/28 9:51 AM by NittPicker

$ talks and b.s. Walks. Bottom line is how much $ can be made over the actual cost of putting on the game. The BOT would drool at the prospect of beau coup dollars coming in. I would go but only with the caveat that the rink be named Paterno Ice Rink @ Beaver Stadium and has that painted on the ice surface. Pegula may want his Sabres in the game, however!

Prob the biggest hurdle......

from what I understand the Beav is not setup for winter use...ie - water is drained fro mall lines after football season, therefore you would have to winterize all the piping in order to have concessions / restrooms, therefore this is not likely to happen.

Pegula shouldn't have a say

about playing a hockey game in Beaver Stadium.

Re: Prob the biggest hurdle......

Throwing enough money at any problem can solve it. The TV dollars alone from that match,
not counting the gate, solves a lot of problems.

Sabres more likely to hold camp at PSU than play outdoors....

I doubt Pegula cares much that Pens/Flyers would be a feature of a Beaver Stadium game. He knows his team is in rebuild mode and the odds of them playing on a stage like that will depend on how fast they can get back to decency.

It's very feasible if not likely that Buffalo comes to PSU for a few days during camp and plays an exhibition game or two at Pegula's house.

Re: Pegula shouldn't have a say

While I'd much rather see a Pens / Flyers matchup and that is by far the most sensible matchup, they should at least clear it with the man who donated close to $100M to fund PSU's hockey program. And if he is adamant about the Sabres being involved, they should probably acquiesce.

Edit: I agree with the last post though--I don't think Pegula would really care if they did a Pens / Flyers matchup.
This post was edited on 3/28 10:53 AM by NittanySteel

Pens-Flyers I'd definitely go unless PSU is playing on New Year's Day and I'd rather be at the bowl site. If it's in mid-January I'd go but not to see the Sabres.

What TV money?

Winter Classic is already included in the NHL's rights deal with NBC. PSU wouldn't see a dime of it. As far as gate proceed go, PSU would be paid a flat fee (Michigan got $3MM) and split concessions with the NHL, which would get the gate plus parking and all other ancillary revenue.

Flyers suck

laugh.r191677.gif

Re: What TV money?

My mistake then. I figured that Penn State would share in some TV dollars.
If there is a will, there is a way.

There is always a way.

The question is whether there is money, although that one never seemed to bother Barbour before.

Forget New Years Day with Bowl conflicts. Put a Pens vs Flyers game on a different day with the students in session. Don't do it when the students are gone. That's the way to make it work for 100k.

Michigan faced the same winterization issues.....

My guess is they provided temporary heat where it was absolutely needed and had a team of plumbers and electricians on hand to deal with any issues. It's not that hard to provide outdoor plumbing services in winter weather if you plan it out and are willing to pay for it.

Yup! I stated this a few months back, to several doubters, that discussions were ongoing. And yes, I'd take the family and agree it would be wise to have the game while the students are in session. With many students being from the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia areas, it would make for a greater atmosphere and makes sense. Hopefully, PSU negotiates an allotment of tickets for students...

This post was edited on 3/28 2:09 PM by AvalonJohn

Obviously a lot of factors.

Parking: I think this is a legitimate concern. If there is snow, I'm not sure where you put cars. You can't risk ripping up the fields.

Hotels: I'm not sure what the concern is here. What am I missing? If State College can support a football game at 110K, what does the hockey game change?

Winterizing: No idea what goes into this but didn't the Big House accomplish this? I would think through planning it could be done.

NYD or after?: I would think it needs to be as close to NYD as possible. While the students may create a better atmosphere, I'm not sure they're going to be able to sniff a ticket. A lot of the tickets will be corporate, I'm sure Flyers Season ticket holders will get a considerable chunk, a lesser amount for Pens season ticket holders (assuming Flyers are the "host"), a good amount for NLC members with a ton of points, and anything left going to a public sale. Honestly, Pittsburgh and Philly fans will make it testy enough, you probably don't need to add drunk Philly/Pittsburgh students to the mix.

Having said all of that, it would be a dream come true!!

With the size of the stadium, I think PSU can negotiate something for the NLC members and some students. How many tickets remains to be seen, but the NHL is eager to make this happen. They know that this is a big cash cow. If you ask me, you have a Penn State game either the night before or before the Flyers/Pens game on a Saturday, but I'm not sure that can be done.

This post was edited on 3/28 4:11 PM by AvalonJohn

I think it would be best for the game to be early December (like Army- Navy weekend where that's the only game on). The football season will have just ended. There will be no conflict with a PSU game. It's early enough that the chances of snow are pretty low which helps the parking issue. The students will still be in town which will add to the atmosphere and ticket sales. It would only need winterizatuon of the stadium 1 or 2 weeks after the season ended only (as opposed to keeping it good until Jan 1 or after).

They should literally forget the corporate/ sponsor/ NLC ticket approach. Literally split the stadium in half with equal tickets to both teams that are general public sale (no Super Bowl approach that keeps the team's fans a very small minority in the stadium.)

Not only do I think this will happen but I think we get a major International Soccer game ( Guinness Cup?) played at Beaver Stadium as well.

This is being led by Sandy Barbour...and I think it's a very smart move to continue bringing premier sporting events to State College besides football...

I recall reading that one of the obstacles is that the visitors' locker room at Beaver Stadium is not up to NHL standards and would require expensive renovations. That said, if there's enough money in this deal for everyone, it will happen.

I can't imagine the visitors locker room at the Beav is much different than the visitors locker room at Michigan. I think the key here is to keep this game away from the Winter Classic slot and all the politics/ corporate sponsorship nonsense that goes with it. Let Philly and Pittsburgh work it out among themselves as a general home game (maybe 1 year a Flyer home game and the next a Pen home game?).

ADVERTISEMENT