ADVERTISEMENT

Flyers: Nico Hischier or Nolan Patrick

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
I know tonight's all about Fultz and the Sixers but tomorrow it's all hockey. So, who would you rather have?

Whichever one is not chosen first overall. As a Pens fan, I despise the Flyers so only wish them ill-will, but must admit I'm impressed with this post considering both play major junior and expect that no one has seen either play.

I'm familiar with the Mooseheads, but haven't seen Nico play. I was surprised to learn he is expecting to go number 1 as there hasn't been much buzz about him compared to MacKinnon and Drouin. Then again, MacKinnon was a local boy who played with Drouin and they won the Memorial Cup, whereas the Mooseheads weren't very good this year.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth on who I prefer for weeks now - really, it's just a great position to be in. We'll take whoever New Jersey doesn't out of the two, and more than likely will get a really good player who projects to be a top-6 center for years to come. After missing out on the #1 pick (Patrick Kane) back in 2007 when we had the worst record in the league, to go from #13 to #2 is really, really great - even if neither Patrick nor Hischier project to be bona fide studs like McDavid or Matthews have been.

At first, I was really enamored with Hischier's hands and by the prospect of having a slick playmaker with a similar style to Giroux to eventually take the reigns from #28 as the top line center. But, if New Jersey wants him, I'd be perfectly fine with Patrick. It's hard to turn down the kid who's been the near-consensus #1 pick for years now and who apparently has all of the tools that you could want in a future top-line center.

Long story short, it's a great position for Philadelphia to be in - Hextall has done a great job of rebuilding the team on the fly, mending some of the salary cap issues he inherited and completely turning around the prospect pool into one of the deepest in the league. Either player will just accelerate the rebuilding process and put us in a position to compete sooner - especially Patrick, who would probably slot in as the second line center from day one.

Reactions: bmw199
Present roster on the Flyers site includes --
Lyubimov
Raffl
VandeVelde
Vecchione
Weise

After tonight and camp in Sept. the lineup will definitely change -- for the better? There are rookies just waiting for their chance and then the draft picks. Any trades going to happen?

Present roster on the Flyers site includes --
Lyubimov
Raffl
VandeVelde
Vecchione
Weise

After tonight and camp in Sept. the lineup will definitely change -- for the better? There are rookies just waiting for their chance and then the draft picks. Any trades going to happen?
Vandevelde almost certainly won't be re-signed - which is addition by subtraction almost as much as losing Bellemare was. Vecchione and Lyubimov are restricted free agents, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are signed but are primarily AHL guys who get called up for injuries. I forgot about Weise - who is overpaid but a decent enough fourth liner. I'd guess it's between Raffl and Weise for the 13th forward spot, unless they make a deal tonight towards the middle of the draft involving one of those guys.

There's definitely a bit of a roster logjam in the bottom six that will work itself out in training camp, but overall the talent level among the forwards in all four lines is higher than it has been in a number of years.

Vandevelde almost certainly won't be re-signed - which is addition by subtraction almost as much as losing Bellemare was. Vecchione and Lyubimov are restricted free agents, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are signed but are primarily AHL guys who get called up for injuries. I forgot about Weise

There's definitely a bit of a roster logjamQUOTE]

Vecchione is the Hobey Baker Award winner for this past NCAA college season. Personally knowing another HBA winner down here who had a good career, I would think the Flyers want to keep him !![/

Seems like a 1A and 1B type of draft at the top. Patrick had been #1 ranked prospect for so long it's pretty common to nitpick, try to knock him down a peg and overthink things...but the injuries Patrick has dealt with, although not serious, do cause a little bit of pause.

Good news for Philly is that NJ is the one that has to do all of the overthinking and they're left with an equally good player at #2.

I'm actually more intrigued with Hischier from a skill standpoint but still think both kids are a year or two away from cracking a roster.

Reactions: Grant Green
Seems like a 1A and 1B type of draft at the top. Patrick had been #1 ranked prospect for so long it's pretty common to nitpick, try to knock him down a peg and overthink things...but the injuries Patrick has dealt with, although not serious, do cause a little bit of pause.

Good news for Philly is that NJ is the one that has to do all of the overthinking and they're left with an equally good player at #2.

I'm actually more intrigued with Hischier from a skill standpoint but still think both kids are a year or two away from cracking a roster.
I think it would be hard to keep the #2 pick off the roster. Hischier has AHL eligibility, which makes him more flexible

Vecchione is the Hobey Baker Award winner for this past NCAA college season.

He was one of the 3 finalist, but didn't win the award.

I actually like Patrick's game slightly better, but there are just some things that have me concerned enough that given the choice, I'd pick Nico Hischier. I don't think you can ignore Patrick's injury history.

I think it would be hard to keep the #2 pick off the roster. Hischier has AHL eligibility, which makes him more flexible

Good point, but AHL eligibility is a double edged sword too. If he's not quite ready for the big club, it would be a hard decision to waste a year of an entry level contract for an 18 year old playing in Lehigh Valley when he can still play in Halifax before his contract kicks in (anyone feel free to correct if I had the CBA rules on entry level wrong there).

I guess in other words, would the Flyers be better served a year from now having him further seasoned as a star in junior and filling out more or learning the ropes in the AHL. I'm not sure the ceiling is all that different unless they determine another year in junior stunts his growth.... but from what I've read Patrick and Hischier are not Mathews and Laine when it comes to NHL readiness impact and dominance of their current competition level.

I can see them sending Hischier down for a year, but Patrick looks like he's NHL ready, and I'd be surprised if he didn't make the club. He's not Laine, but he can really shoot the puck well, and that's something they're lacking. I'd guess he'd be up there with the best shot on the team. I have no doubt that Konecny/Patrick/Simmonds would be a legit NHL 2nd line for sure.

The consensus seems to be that if he's healthy, Patrick is an NHLer from day one. Opinion seems a little more split on Hischier - he has the ability and skill to make the jump, but he's about 20 pounds lighter than Patrick and has only played one partial season in the CHL so the concern is that he's more likely to run out of gas during an 80 game NHL season because he's played nowhere close to that many games in a season before.

So it's Patrick. Good for him. I'm excited to see him compete next year. Fultz and Patrick seem to have a similar reserved personality.

Wentz-Embiid-Simmons-Fultz-Konecny-Patrick

Philly is, as the kids say, LIT

Schenn traded! Looks like the Flyers are trusting the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT