ADVERTISEMENT

FLO VIDEO: The Story of Cary Kolat... Eps. 1 Cary went to Midlands as a junior in High School and

That last move in the clip, that he hit on Shawn Charles ... looks kinda familiar for some reason.

Reactions: Dogwelder
When I was a kid, I convinced one of my friends to wrestle that year, we were in 2nd grade. Out first of the season was against Jefferson-Morgan. His first match EVER was against Kolat. About 10 - 20 seconds into the match as Kolat was running a deep arm bar there was a loud snap. Then total silence and a horrible yell. My friend’s wrestling career lasted a few practices and about 15 seconds of mat time. He got a really cool story out of it at least. We bring it up every once in a while 30+ years later when we meet up.

When I was a kid, I convinced one of my friends to wrestle that year, we were in 2nd grade. Out first of the season was against Jefferson-Morgan. His first match EVER was against Kolat. About 10 - 20 seconds into the match as Kolat was running a deep arm bar there was a loud snap. Then total silence and a horrible yell. My friend’s wrestling career lasted a few practices and about 15 seconds of mat time. He got a really cool story out of it at least. We bring it up every once in a while 30+ years later when we meet up.
Feel bad about 'liking' that given your friend's sad career end, but thanks for the cool story.

Read his wikipedia page, but it never said why he left PSU to go to LHU. What's the story behind that? It seemed like he was doing pretty well while he was with us.

Grades and some other things off the mat. Didn’t exactly see eye to eye with Fritz also

Grades and some other things off the mat. Didn’t exactly see eye to eye with Fritz also
He wanted to redshirt after a disappointing year, if I recall. Fritz said no, and Cary left. The Flo doc covers Cary’s perspective in detail. Turns out he had a very hard time dealing with any results short of perfection. Add in the “discovery” of alcohol in College, and ....

He wanted to redshirt after a disappointing year, if I recall. Fritz said no, and Cary left. The Flo doc covers Cary’s perspective in detail. Turns out he had a very hard time dealing with any results short of perfection. Add in the “discovery” of alcohol in College, and ....
...and what?

There was an incident at PSU that embarrassed Cary, but did not define him, leaving me to ask the above question. It happened, is a matter of record, and all that. My "...and what?" is that it made him better, in case you're suggesting otherwise.

When Kolat was @PSU:
1 day I'm tagging along, running errands w/guy connected with the wrestling team.
He says 'I gotta swing by Kolat's place for a few mins", about some upcoming event [logistics, yada yada].
Get there. Ring bell, he yells "come in". CK is on the living rm floor doing sit-ups.
He didn't break rhythm. The 2 of them had ~10 min convo and Kolat just pumped out those situps at a rabid pace, must of done well over 500+ in the time we were there. No heavy breathing, no straining, just did their back/forth like it was nothin. Never slowed down.
We left. I asked "is that normal'? Reply: "for him it is".

...and what?

There was an incident at PSU that embarrassed Cary, but did not define him, leaving me to ask the above question. It happened, is a matter of record, and all that. My "...and what?" is that it made him better, in case you're suggesting otherwise.
Was just trying to state what had happened. I guess "And he transferred to LHU, won a NC, was jobbed out of a World Championship, moved one with his life, is a great coach at an up and coming school, and is a living legend?

The last "incident" I remember was CK riding the luggage belt at Harrisburg Airport out of the passenger pickup area behind security. Next thing I remember he was off to LHU within a few months. It was all over the Harrisburg paper.

The last "incident" I remember was CK riding the luggage belt at Harrisburg Airport out of the passenger pickup area behind security. Next thing I remember he was off to LHU within a few months. It was all over the Harrisburg paper.

I thought it was a couple others that did that. Google (and my bad memory) isn't giving me the answer yet. I think it was at the State College airport too.

ADVERTISEMENT