ADVERTISEMENT

Flo rankings

I get that FS results don't mean much to Folk rankings, and in most cases don't mean much at all, but in the case of Eierman and Nick Lee, I'd have guessed before that match that Eierman has a distinct FS advantage over Nick, and that Nick is better in Folk than he is in FS. And yet Nick beat him in that match by consistently getting to his legs and converting. Eierman has a Folk win over Nick but Nick has progressed more than Eierman has since March 2018.

My point isn't about rankings, I don't really care about them until the conference tourneys roll around, but that their FS match probably is a decent indicator of where they stand in relation to each other in Folk.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out that flo's if-then logic for ranking Massa most certainly has to do with this year's senior open. His best NCAA was his freshman year when he was neck and neck with Cenzo, yet with this year's freestyle result the exception and against a less than elite field Massa has appeared to not progress much.
Nick compared to Eierman is a freshman loss, and a more recent Nick domination of Eierman and doing so by shredding him from neutral. Yet in Nick's case, Flo's if-then logic weighs a three year old result over a much more immediate freestyle outcome as well as Nick's dominance of the weight class just last season.

I appreciate flo's promotion of wrestling. My appreciation for their existence doesn't mean I need to ignore their clownish moments. Which are more frequent than just occasional. The Massa-Brooks vs Eierman-Nick ranking scenario is a quality flo clownish moment.

Reactions: pish69 and tikk10
Flo's ranking of Massa could be process of elimination. Or maybe rock paper scissors.

The only returning AAs at 174 are Kemerer, Massa, and Labriola. D. Romero is the only other guy to reach R12. Somebody had to be ranked #2.

Massa should be ranked higher than Brooks, simply based upon the strength of 174 vs. 184.

Other than Kemerer who should be ranked higher than Massa? That weight is so thin, it will disappear if it turns sideways.

I agree that Brooks is ranked too low -- but Massa is not a good justification for that. 184 is a far tougher weight. Amine and Bolen are more accomplished in college wrestling. Dean would be too, if Cornell were wrestling. And Hidlay also has a better college resume, with better wins and more of them.

Should Massa be ranked that high? Up a weight from 165, where he was a R12 guy in 2019? In that last Folk season, he had a losing record against top-16 opponents. Went 6-7.

If we’re not taking his recent FS success into account (which we shouldn’t be, per Flo), his Folk record is a) not impressive and b) not at 174.

Reactions: nitlion6
Should Massa be ranked that high? Up a weight from 165, where he was a R12 guy in 2019? In that last Folk season, he had a losing record against top-16 opponents. Went 6-7.

If we’re not taking his recent FS success into account (which we shouldn’t be, per Flo), his Folk record is a) not impressive and b) not at 174.
Do you think Labriola should be ranked #2? Because he's the only other returning AA after Kemerer. And the highest he placed was 6th.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I think it's awesome that so many of you have taken an interest in rankings. We do a weekly ranking show about rankings and my DMs are open so feel free to send me the most clownish moments of Flo's rankings and we will discuss them on the show. We may even make changes to rankings if your beclownment is well reasoned!

Will make a note to discuss Massa at #2. Thanks as always for reading and have a safe and happy new years!

I think it's awesome that so many of you have taken an interest in rankings. We do a weekly ranking show about rankings and my DMs are open so feel free to send me the most clownish moments of Flo's rankings and we will discuss them on the show. We may even make changes to rankings if your beclownment is well reasoned!

Will make a note to discuss Massa at #2. Thanks as always for reading and have a safe and happy new years!

Indeed let us ring in the New Year with Well-Reasoned Beclownment!

Do you believe Deprez is a better wrestler than Brooks?

I just saw the Flo rankings: wacky PSU wrestler rankings that I see: A Brooks at #5, Nick Lee at #3, below Eiermann who he handled fairly easily last time I saw them wrestle. Kirkvleit at #12??? No way, he’s waaay better than that.
You are most likely right but you prove it on the mat

You are most likely right but you prove it on the mat
Of course that is correct, ultimately it will be proven on the mat. But some rankings just defy belief. Do you really think AB, last years BigTen Champ, is only the 5th best wrestler? Do you think that Nick Lee, who thoroughly handeled Eiermann, granted in FS, is really now worse than him?
If the response is it will be handled on the mat then why even have, or discuss, rankings?

Looks like Anthony Valencia is going 165 this year. Or, at least he did this weekend.

Will Flo bump Starocci up to 5th, or will some bum magically leapfrog him?

Reactions: NittanyChris
Of course that is correct, ultimately it will be proven on the mat. But some rankings just defy belief. Do you really think AB, last years BigTen Champ, is only the 5th best wrestler? Do you think that Nick Lee, who thoroughly handeled Eiermann, granted in FS, is really now worse than him?
If the response is it will be handled on the mat then why even have, or discuss, rankings?
I agree that the AB ranking is puzzling but they freely admit that they do not take freestyle results into account for their rankings and Eiermann beat Lee in folk the last time they wrestled and has had higher placements than him at the NCAA's. I do believe that Lee will beat him and Rivera this year, but cannot gripe that he is below Eiermann. I do have an issue that he is below Rivera though.

Eierman has handled Nick Lee , both in folk and freestyle, a few times prior to their most recent FS meeting. I look at Nick's recent win as a breakthrough. Nick has done well in the past, beating guys that have previously beaten him. Chad Red, Carter Happel, Mitch McKee, Kanen Storr, Eierman, etc. My hope is that the Eierman win wasn't a one time thing or a start of some back and forth. That said, I think anyone dismissing the possibility that Eierman beats Nick in folkstyle is not being realistic. Though I hope you're right!

Next on the agenda: Yianni, Andrew Alirez and Joey McKenna

Last edited:
Reactions: PAHURDLER
I just wanted to point out that Devin Skatzka beat Mikey Labriola at B1Gs. And, yes, FS, but Starocci teched/pinned Skatzka.

Call me crazy, but I'd rank him ahead of Labriola, at the very least.

I don't see Starocci taking anything less than 3rd at NCAAs this year, provided the event takes place, and he's healthy.

Do you think Labriola should be ranked #2? Because he's the only other returning AA after Kemerer. And the highest he placed was 6th.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I just wanted to point out that Devin Skatzka beat Mikey Labriola at B1Gs. And, yes, FS, but Starocci teched/pinned Skatzka.

Call me crazy, but I'd rank him ahead of Labriola, at the very least.

I don't see Starocci taking anything less than 3rd at NCAAs this year, provided the event takes place, and he's healthy.
Again, they do not take take FS results into consideration. Also, you are making a projection on where he will finish while rankings are based on past results. I honestly believe that most of the Flo guys, Intermat, TOM, etc. also believe that CStar,Kerk and others will finish higher than they are currently ranked.

Again, they do not take take FS results into consideration. Also, you are making a projection on where he will finish while rankings are based on past results. I honestly believe that most of the Flo guys, Intermat, TOM, etc. also believe that CStar,Kerk and others will finish higher than they are currently ranked.

I know. I acknowledged it was FS in my post. My point is that there’s already a bunch of speculative thinking, and borderline irrelevant factors in their rankings. They attempt to use a results-based system, but don’t.

Example: They had Lee ranked ahead of Kaden Gfeller for their initial 2019-2020 rankings. Gfeller pinned Lee at the Scuffle in 2018. The same season that Lee and Eierman last wrestled. Using the criteria they must be using, Gfeller should have been ranked ahead of Lee, but wasn’t.

Example: They had Lee ranked ahead of Kaden Gfeller for their initial 2019-2020 rankings. Gfeller pinned Lee at the Scuffle in 2018. The same season that Lee and Eierman last wrestled. Using the criteria they must be using, Gfeller should have been ranked ahead of Lee, but wasn’t.
You think Lee should have been behind Gfeller to start the 2019-20 season? Lee placed fifth and beat three All-Americans at NCAAs. Gfeller went 0-2 and lost to Blees and Maruca.

And Flo doesn't use a results based system because we don't prioritize a 2018 result over 2019 results?

You can also pick apart almost any individual ranking but even using cherry-picked data points this is a bad example.

You think Lee should have been behind Gfeller to start the 2019-20 season? Lee placed fifth and beat three All-Americans at NCAAs. Gfeller went 0-2 and lost to Blees and Maruca.

And Flo doesn't use a results based system because we don't prioritize a 2018 result over 2019 results?

You can also pick apart almost any individual ranking but even using cherry-picked data points this is a bad example.
We will stop b*tching about your rankings when you finally come around and rank all 10 Nittany Lion starters in their rightful preordained position (#1). Until then... 🤷‍♂️

Apparently Flo IS using FS results now? But Kerkvliet and Starocci’s results don’t count, for some reason?

quite the eagle eye! I assume you are referring to this passage in the article:

Kharchla made quite an impression last month at the RTC Cup, going 4-0 against senior-level freestyle talent. His performance vaulted him into the Top 15 of the Flo rankings at 165 to start the NCAA season.

Unfortunately, this was a mere oversite by our Ohio State contributor (who does an excellent job imo, this minor hiccup notwithstanding). Kharchla was ranked in our preseason top 25 at #15 back in May of 2020, well before the RTC Cup took place. The article has been edited to reflect that. Thanks for the heads up!

By the way, if anyone would like to contribute Penn State specific articles to Flo, or knows someone who does, to help provide more balanced coverage and to receive payment for writing about the Nittany Lions, hit me up! We're always looking for new content contributors. You can get paid to write about Penn State wrestling, sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

Kharchla made quite an impression last month at the RTC Cup, going 4-0 against senior-level freestyle talent. His performance vaulted him into the Top 15 of the Flo rankings at 165 to start the NCAA season.

Unfortunately, this was a mere oversite by our Ohio State contributor (who does an excellent job imo, this minor hiccup notwithstanding). Kharchla was ranked in our preseason top 25 at #15 back in May of 2020, well before the RTC Cup took place. The article has been edited to reflect that. Thanks for the heads up!

By the way, if anyone would like to contribute Penn State specific articles to Flo, or knows someone who does, to help provide more balanced coverage and to receive payment for writing about the Nittany Lions, hit me up! We're always looking for new content contributors. You can get paid to write about Penn State wrestling, sounds like a pretty good deal to me!
Yeah, there’s this guy named “Spyker”. He’s like LI Marty, but more objective

I’d rather be a Walmart greeter. No offense Dogwelder.

Can see it now. What's going on in University Park

haha, well I guess I asked for all this when I intruding on yall's turf. in the future I'll just stick to the rankings!

@slushead would be great.

ADVERTISEMENT