ADVERTISEMENT

Flo Rankings 2019-2020

I'm ok with it. Shak's last two losses count, despite the circumstances, and one was a loss to Geer, who Colbray beat. Imo, a healthy Shak will be favored over a healthy Colbray, regardless of rankings.

HTH is very important, I agree, so is what-have-you-done-for-me-lately.

HTH should always take precedence, when comparing 2 wrestlers, IMO. Plus we all know Shak wasn't healthy during the losses. To rank him behind Colbray is silly. Not that any of this really matters because unlike College Football, rankings mean very little and it will all be decided on the mat. As it should be.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
HTH should always take precedence, when comparing 2 wrestlers, IMO. Plus we all know Shak wasn't healthy during the losses. To rank him behind Colbray is silly. Not that any of this really matters because unlike College Football, rankings mean very little and it will all be decided on the mat. As it should be.
But that always gets tricky because of lack of transitivity, which causes “cycling.”

I agree with you, as I said -- if they wrestled today, both healthy, Rasheed should be favored by the majority of knowledgeable fans.

This is a case where I understand how this could happen in a pre-season ranking. Colbray finished NCAA's at R12, Rasheed finished R16, and that's the weighting that was used, I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Love u guys.

also could write an article (behind the paywall, of course)

on how much fail there is in this thread.

again, love u guys.

Love u guys.

again, love u guys.
giphy.gif

Love u guys.

again, love u guys.

Would you care to elaborate? I haven't seen anything in this thread that I would consider "fail?" Seems pretty rational discussion.

I think most people, including myself think Flo got these pre season rankings pretty spot on

Reactions: diggerpup
Would you care to elaborate? I haven't seen anything in this thread that I would consider "fail?" Seems pretty rational discussion.

I think most people, including myself think Flo got these pre season rankings pretty spot on

It appears Willie's a tad sensitive.

Eh. You guys like a little drama even when it’s clear PSU is going to roll. You don’t contort yourselves as much as MSU158 might, but there’s usually a little analytical yoga going on.

I’m actually shocked you guys aren’t all on the Hawkeyes 12AA this year bandwagon.

Should be a close race, so I’m surprised rankings have us so far in front

IMO, given our "relative unknowns," Iowa is a worthy opponent this year. Okie and O$U could play big time spoilers come March for the clear #1 & #2 teams with their studs.

Just to get it out of the way:

7 - 10: Putting BWI Fails behind paywall = naked attempt to boost Iowa fan subscriptions.

===================

Some of the others should be taken as seriously as mine. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: smalls103

You telling me the expectation was that Josh terao and Sean Nickell would beat RBY if they had wrestled on 12/10/18?

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6249786-ncaa-rankings-2018-19/29522-133-seth-gross

Because the text on the 12/17/18 rankings say RBY got ranked because he "at last" best an AA.

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6249786-ncaa-rankings-2018-19/29666-133-seth-gross

I'd love to know what these rankings represent, if they're not 'best collection of wins at the NCAA level'

come to think of it, it would be neat if someone did do a set of rankings as a final ncaa prediction.

the weird thing is wrestling rankings aren’t done the same as other sports and it’s always been that way and I don’t know what the “right” way to do it is but I think I’d lean towards “predictive rankings rather than based on “past performance” rankings.

For example. Just off top of my head, a few years ago Kentucky basketball had 5 stud freshmen coming in. They were ranked #2 preseason because everyone knew how good these kids would be and it played out properly (that was the year Kentucky lost in finals from the 8 seed).

the same scenario happened the year Nolf, Bo and Nevills were going into redshirt freshman year. PSU was ranked as low as 7 in preseason because the rankers said “until they prove themselves” this is where they’re ranked. anyone with a half of brain knew they’d be very good (especially with Zain and Nico coming off redshirt)

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyChris
very true.

i'm really putting my NCAA placing predictions up right now. so well done, BWI.

i think there will be a lot of interest in something that looks forward to the final tournament - like Suriano wrestling/what weight/what place.

i'm probably also going to have Beard in there. not b/c i know anything, but just b/c i believe he'll be too good to sit.

Each year Willie posts the rankings and clearly states that true freshman do not get ranked until they wrestle collegiate wrestlers. He often states that "so and so will assuredly shoot up the rankings once they start wrestling" If you have a rubric.....state said conditions....and be consistent.....how can you criticize? Oh.....because you just want to. It is like complaining about "As low as 12.99/month if you pay for the full year" because...."That's not their Pay-by-the-month Rate". I know.....it states that. Post all you want behind the Paywall Willie...….I plan on being a FLO member for life :)

Each year Willie posts the rankings and clearly states that true freshman do not get ranked until they wrestle collegiate wrestlers. He often states that "so and so will assuredly shoot up the rankings once they start wrestling" If you have a rubric.....state said conditions....and be consistent.....how can you criticize? Oh.....because you just want to. It is like complaining about "As low as 12.99/month if you pay for the full year" because...."That's not their Pay-by-the-month Rate". I know.....it states that. Post all you want behind the Paywall Willie...….I plan on being a FLO member for life :)

As far as I am concerned Flo has been one of the best things to happen for our sport. Yes, there have been hiccups - but improving access to virtually every wrestling match out there more than outweighs the snags.

lol. i knew someone would point out Nebraska. But the backhalf of their lineup should be super salty.

but i really wasn't overly kind. i think Venz is finalist material (was 4th as a frosh). the other one i bumped more than most would was Lovett. combo of being high on him + reports from preseason + 133 isn't great w/ all the defections.

i could have them a bit high. but im pretty confident they finish 4th to 7th.

Penn State by 42 over Iowa. HR has got to be hanging Willie in effigy.:);)

About the only "but maybes" that I see is I believe there is a really good possibility Verkleeren is an AA, and while Berge as a pick for 4th at 157 is a pretty solid guess I do believe Brady makes a damn solid run at the top spot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT