ADVERTISEMENT

Flo’s lawsuit against Willie and Rokfin

Watching Flo Karen obviously and re-re-re-re-re-repeatedly misrepresent, be like ...

tenor.gif

I was really hoping this one was going to end like all the courtroom procedural dramas ever, with the judge taking a deep breath, and issuing a rousing and satisfying ruling right then and there. Alas....

To my Matlock-trained sensibility, it did seem pretty telling when she told FloKaren she hadn't yet demonstrated any emergency warranting the requested emergency injunction, and the defense attorneys certainly tried to ride it in their closings. Hope that doesn't backfire #teamWillie

I listened to the opening arguments about whether to shut down the stream, I'll have that up tomorrow. Pretty sure Karen is referring to me where she says 'someone claiming to be a lawyer who says you (the judge) can't do anything about it because you don't own the copyright.' That's grossly misrepresenting my rather nuanced point, but my expectations of Karen were low enough that I can't pretend to be disappointed. If practicing law was like playing the piano, Karen would be banging the keys with her fists. They're just throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks. Lots of noise, none of it music.

I listened to the opening arguments about whether to shut down the stream, I'll have that up tomorrow. Pretty sure Karen is referring to me where she says 'someone claiming to be a lawyer who says you (the judge) can't do anything about it because you don't own the copyright.' That's grossly misrepresenting my rather nuanced point, but my expectations of Karen were low enough that I can't pretend to be disappointed. If practicing law was like playing the piano, Karen would be banging the keys with her fists. They're just throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks. Lots of noise, none of it music.
Does FloKaren follow this board, or do you have more content on the topic elsewhere?

my expectations of Karen were low enough that I can't pretend to be disappointed. If practicing law was like playing the piano, Karen would be banging the keys with her fists. They're just throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks. Lots of noise, none of it music.
Listen to the rest of it, and she's like playing the violin with a hacksaw.

Does FloKaren follow this board, or do you have more content on the topic elsewhere?
I think it was probably this board. I wrote up a long-ish description to accompany the YouTube video of the hearing where I made some of the same arguments I've already made here, basically trying to preempt anticipated takedown bases, so if it is taken down those arguments are part of the record.

I think it was probably this board. I wrote up a long-ish description to accompany the YouTube video of the hearing where I made some of the same arguments I've already made here, basically trying to preempt anticipated takedown bases, so if it is taken down those arguments are part of the record.

And your description didn't talk about being a lawyer right? Which is funny since Karen was asking if Willie was getting advice from twitter during last week's hearing...

And your description didn't talk about being a lawyer right? Which is funny since Karen was asking if Willie was getting advice from twitter during last week's hearing...
I think she's referring to this post in particular, where it's easy enough to infer that I'm a lawyer. And that post contains the same arguments she mischaracterized in court.

Wow, I take a little break from Twitter/the wrestling world and all of this unfolds. Add me to the list of “5 people” who will be following.

It’s rather hilarious and very fitting that FloKaren is actually named Karen.

I think she's referring to this post in particular, where it's easy enough to infer that I'm a lawyer. And that post contains the same arguments she mischaracterized in court.
From rereading your post after hearing FloKaren's arguments, I can see that her college taught that innovative new english class, creative reading. How do judges put up w/ that kind of crap? I'd be throwing everyone in jail for contempt constantly....

Reactions: danoftw and tikk10

Yes sorry. I meant I would have initially assumed she got that info from the youtube video description, but it didn't even say that there, so yeah it seems likely that she (or someone at the firm) actually was reading the board.

Funny you use the term "grossly misrepresenting"...didn't Martin use that same exact phrase several times?

Reactions: tikk10
From rereading your post after hearing FloKaren's arguments, I can see that her college taught that innovative new english class, creative reading. How do judges put up w/ that kind of crap? I'd be throwing everyone in jail for contempt constantly....
Judges put up with a lot of bad faith and are generally inured to it. What Karen's doing isn't really far outside of ordinary practice. Like I've already suggested, this is only nominally an employment contract dispute and far more so an antitrust dispute with Willie as a proxy in order that Flo can kill a key competitor to its business model, which competition would greatly benefit the wrestling-fan public. This sort of fight happens in all sorts of industries and all sorts of Karens are there to help secure monopolies at the expense of the public.

Not quite the distilled greatness of his memes, but a bit of a digest on the day's proceedings.

I'm not the biggest fan of Willie but it was very tough for me to see him break down yesterday. It's pretty apparent how much he cares for the sport and how much this lawsuit is weighing on him.

End of the day, the guy really has a passion for this and Flo is trying to take it away from him. Regardless of any noncompete clause, it's just petty, he's hardly pulling some King's Ransom for doing this.

It's great seeing the wrestling community rally behind him.

I'm not the biggest fan of Willie but it was very tough for me to see him break down yesterday. It's pretty apparent how much he cares for the sport and how much this lawsuit is weighing on him.

End of the day, the guy really has a passion for this and Flo is trying to take it away from him. Regardless of any noncompete clause, it's just petty, he's hardly pulling some King's Ransom for doing this.

It's great seeing the wrestling community rally behind him.

Agreed.

The ironic part is basically the reason they're doing this is to try to kill the competition and if anything they're helping them (both by likely resulting in viewers having a lesser opinion of Flo as well as doing things like help get the word out about the alleged upcoming NLWC event).

And don't forget what seems to be getting lost in this is that Mark is suing his own brother...

Reactions: McScoreley
Agreed.

The ironic part is basically the reason they're doing this is to try to kill the competition and if anything they're helping them (both by likely resulting in viewers having a lesser opinion of Flo as well as doing things like help get the word out about the alleged upcoming NLWC event).

And don't forget what seems to be getting lost in this is that Mark is suing his own brother...
I know I was ~50% likely to subscribe to Rokfin before yesterday, and am nearing 90% after yesterday (it will be 100% if NLWC gets the cut of revenue).

I’m hardly a MBA, but I think the Rokfin business model is pretty legit. I would tend to doubt the big tech players won’t just absorb some of the concepts when it’s proven though, which could be problems for Martin. He’s probably banking on an acquisition.

What does Willie break down about? I don't like his politics he shares on Twitter (whatever), but his passion for this great sport make me want to subscribe to his Rokfin.

What does Willie break down about? I don't like his politics he shares on Twitter (whatever), but his passion for this great sport make me want to subscribe to his Rokfin.
I listened while focused on other things yesterday, but to me, it seemed like he broke down from the weight of all of it in the middle of a rather mundane portion of his testimony. Maybe there was a "trigger" but I think he just broke in the moment. It was tough to watch. If this was a court of public opinion, Flo would have no hope.

I listened while focused on other things yesterday, but to me, it seemed like he broke down from the weight of all of it in the middle of a rather mundane portion of his testimony. Maybe there was a "trigger" but I think he just broke in the moment. It was tough to watch. If this was a court of public opinion, Flo would have no hope.

I think it was a little bit of both. Basically, IMO Karen was saying if we used Willie’s interpretation of “future wrestling events,” then there was no point In getting the injunction, effectively claiming that all he did was articles and rankings, which he rightfully took offense to.

I think it was a little bit of both. Basically, IMO Karen was saying if we used Willie’s interpretation of “future wrestling events,” then there was no point In getting the injunction, effectively claiming that all he did was articles and rankings, which he rightfully took offense to.
I don't think this was about Flo Karen being dismissive of his work.

If there's one thing we know about Willie (other than his recruiting prowess!): as much as he loves the sport itself, he's really about the people in the sport.

Flo Karen is threatenening to cut him off from the people he so clearly loves. And that's rightly emotional for him.

I don't think this was about Flo Karen being dismissive of his work.

If there's one thing we know about Willie (other than his recruiting prowess!): as much as he loves the sport itself, he's really about the people in the sport.

Flo Karen is threatenening to cut him off from the people he so clearly loves. And that's rightly emotional for him.

I think that’s kinda the same as what I was saying. He can’t do things like interviews and live reporting which he obviously has a passion for doing.

Listening to Day 2 was painful.

The major highlights have been mentioned:
1) @tikk10 internet lawyering taunts of judge,
2) Reveal of NLWC event, and
3) Willie getting emotional.

After listening, I only better understand two things:
1) Rokfin's business model, and
2) How lawyers maximize monetization when getting paid by the hour.

I don't see how the judge finds in favor of the plaintiff.

When does Willie's 1-year non-compete end? Maybe the next NLWC event can be scheduled for that day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT