ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Five takeaways from Penn State's 27-11 win over Rutgers

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Penn State fell behind early, thanks in large part to the absence of Nick Lee at 141 pounds and a controversial match at 149, but won five straight down the stretch to roll past the Scarlet Knights. Here are our top takeaways from the victory.

8!

From the article:
With Sanderson's announcement that Berge would be staying 165 for the rest of the year . . .”

Did he (or another coach) say this during the post-match interview? I hadn’t seen anything definitive discussed here, yet, only speculation. This seems like an unusually firm nugget of intel from Cael.

8!

From the article:
With Sanderson's announcement that Berge would be staying 165 for the rest of the year . . .”

Did he (or another coach) say this during the post-match interview? I hadn’t seen anything definitive discussed here, yet, only speculation. This seems like an unusually firm nugget of intel from Cael.
From Onward State article, “The two-time NCAA qualifier previously wrestled at 157 pounds, but head coach Cael Sanderson says he’ll compete at 165 for now.”

Yes, I’ll have to go back and check the specific phrasing but was something along the lines of “we think he’ll be at 165.”

Reactions: slushhead
Yes, I’ll have to go back and check the specific phrasing but was something along the lines of “we think he’ll be at 165.”
From Collegian, “but according to Cael Sanderson, Berge will compete at 165 for the foreseeable future.”

Agree. My quotes are from the articles. I saw no direct Cael quotes.
Yeah, in case I was ambiguous — it would be beneficial if the articles quoted Cael directly. Too bad they didn’t.

If there is anything we have learned over the years, it’s that it is every man for himself to intepret Caelspeak. I want to see exactly what he said, lol.

booooo.jpg

I just got off the phone with Piles. We are in agreement, we have a joint plan, and it includes Berge at 157. I just hope I don't run into Cael in person where he can shame me in public.

I remain hopeful Negron continues on a steep upward trajectory in his development. He is definitely talented, but very raw and our expecting a 2 month makeover is pretty silly and unfair.

This match stung. Entering the 3rd up 4-1, only to see him make some head scratching moves was disappointing. He definitely gave that one away. It was if he has been spending to much time training with Joe.

Edsel has an almost insurmountable hill to climb at 165 to do something special and get to the blood round, but we know what we have with him and he is reliable, privately and solid as a rock.

157 is a different animal and a real opportunity for the lions. Assuming he gets through Bigs and qualifies, Negron could go 0-2 or get a few points and maybe even a bonus early.

Berge on the other hand is a real threat for AA at 157, and if he can get a good month in at weight in advance who knows maybe his dreams could be realized. I don't think he has any chance of top 4 at 165, and probably won't AA. Those are some big boys, at a very deep weight, and Berge is not a full grown 165.

I see Berge as 5-10 max point guy at 165, and a 10-15 (maybe just maybe a 20) point guy at 157.

I am pretty suprised there is much of a debate unless 157 is just too big a cut. Brady didn't look big to me yesterday.

8!

From the article:

Now I get it

ADVERTISEMENT