ADVERTISEMENT

First time at Sheetz

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
I don't know what you would call it, but this place is more than a gas station.

Electric vehicle supercharging stations.
Car wash, vacuum cleaners.
Quality made to order food with a diverse menu and electronic ordering kiosks.
Customized coffee station.
Big, refrigerated beer cage.
Clean, touchless bathrooms.

I've never been to Wawa but I can't imagine a better stop than this.

tenor.gif

Wawa >>>>>> Sheetz.

I used to work in the convenience store industry. Wawa’s business model is to see what Sheetz does, and then copy it. They’ve done well with that and people in eastern PA love it, but they’re a mere copycat and have been for years. Sheetz was a true game changer and innovator in the industry - Wawa imitates.

The new Wawa's are the same (at least the ones in FL). Wish they'd put them in better neighborhoods. Wawa's food is better. Sheetz' menu is better - imo.

I grew up in Sheetz country....eventually found myself living in Wawa country...and now live with neither (we have Cumberland Farms, which is a crude imitation of the previous 2 - in other words, it sucks). I miss them both, but I’d lean towards Wawa if only because that was where I most recently lived (and it’s really fun to say).

I used to work in the convenience store industry. Wawa’s business model is to see what Sheetz does, and then copy it. They’ve done well with that and people in eastern PA love it, but they’re a mere copycat and have been for years. Sheetz was a true game changer and innovator in the industry - Wawa imitates.

Wawa has far surpassed Sheetz in quality wrt coffee, food, and dairy, imo.
Otherwise, it's 6=half-dozen.

Sheets>>Wawa

Kids call it “ The restaurant.”

You forgot to mention that Sheetz (and Wawa) offer free air filling. I'm more of a Wawa guy, but getting free air to fill my tires is pretty darn nice these days.

Wawa has far surpassed Sheetz in quality wrt coffee, food, and dairy, imo.
Otherwise, it's 6=half-dozen.

Maybe - haven’t been to either in a while. But in the late 90s, Sheetz was the gold standard in the industry. Wawa, like many others, simply copied what they did and tried to improve on it. I have both in NoVA but rarely go to either.

I live in Sheetz country and have to admit it's spoiled me. When I drive out of the area (especially in the south) and stop for gas, I'm always surprised how old and gross the bathrooms are in convenience stores. Sheetz keeps their stores pretty clean and when a location gets old they replace it.

I live in Sheetz country and have to admit it's spoiled me. When I drive out of the area (especially in the south) and stop for gas, I'm always surprised how old and gross the bathrooms are in convenience stores. Sheetz keeps their stores pretty clean and when a location gets old they replace it.
Sheetz and Wawa have a deal - One got NC/SC and the other got FL. Seems to be working out well for everyone.

Reactions: bison13
Wawa has better coffee and I like their food more than Sheetz

But not sure about beer cage. They dont allow that in c stores in NJ.
I won't step foot in Shitts .... their quality is poor. Wawa you can at least get it down.

I grew up in Sheetz country....eventually found myself living in Wawa country...and now live with neither (we have Cumberland Farms, which is a crude imitation of the previous 2 - in other words, it sucks). I miss them both, but I’d lean towards Wawa if only because that was where I most recently lived (and it’s really fun to say).
One of my older brothers once called home, in his late teens, trashed, to get a ride home. My father kept asking him where he was and he kept hearing him say, “I’m at a Wawa”. All I could hear from my father’s end was, “Which Wawa?” This went on for several minutes before my father realized he was saying “Matawan” (a town in NJ). Pretty funny from my vantage point.

I played golf with a couple of Wawa guys who worked in the corporate office in Wawa. They told me that Wawa taught Sheetz the convenience store business and Sheetz taught Wawa how to sell gas. FWIW

Reactions: Bob78
I played golf with a couple of Wawa guys who worked in the corporate office in Wawa. They told me that Wawa taught Sheetz the convenience store business and Sheetz taught Wawa how to sell gas. FWIW

Hardly. Sheetz was one of, if not the first, to brand it's own colas and other in-store products. They also pioneered the MTO sandwich idea and touchscreen ordering in 1996 - Wawa had it three years later. From a 2016 Forbes article:

Sheetz Redefined The Convenience Store Customer Experience With MTO
  • Sheetz is a family-owned Mid-Atlantic chain with more than 500 stores and 17,500 employees. This year the company is celebrating an anniversary and a major milestone in convenience store customer experience. In 1986, Sheetz coined the term Made-to-Order, or “MTO.” It’s the ordering system that allows for made to order sandwiches at the store. It took the stigma away from a “gas station sandwich” and transformed the business.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fstanphelps%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F08%2FTURKEY-SUB_DW-1200x800.jpg

Here is the full story:

His Name Is Earl.

Earl Springer started his career with Sheetz in 1983. In 1986, Springer was a store manager at a Sheetz in Williamsport, Maryland. His store was one of five in the chain to be a test case for fried chicken. Earl found that sales for chicken were great in warm weather, but they precipitously dropped off in the cold. The chicken also took 20 minutes to make and had limited shelf life once made. With sales dropping in January and an impending store visit from the President, Earl needed a new idea to stimulate sales.

He and his team of 16 employees brainstormed ways to jump start business. They set their focus on the store’s pre-made deli offerings. Subs weren’t doing well, selling less than 100 sandwiches per week. The team figured the problem was one of perception. In the words of Clark Griswold in the 1983 movie Vacation, “I’m so hungry I could eat a sandwich from a gas station.”

They started to pursue the concept of Made-to-Order (MTO) sandwiches. The team visited two local sub stores for research. Earl determined they would avoid cheaper and focus on better. True to the mission of Sheetz, they’d provide quality customization to give customers what they wanted, when they wanted it. His team broke into groups that would tackle menu, training, accounting, and marketing. One hurdle was convincing leadership to fund an $1,100 sandwich preparation unit Earl had located. After getting the green light, the team experienced a slow start the first week. Undaunted, Earl and the team leaned in to market the new offering.

Signs, stickers, and radio station drops created awareness both in-store and within the community. It worked. Sub sales went from 96 pre-mades to 350 made-to-order subs per week and continued to climb. From there Earl helped Sheetz roll out MTO, retrofitting and retraining every store over the next few years. By the 1990s it was a sales leader for Sheetz. Continuing to innovate, Stan Sheetz introduced touchscreen ordering for MTO in 1996. The picture based system increased efficiency and allowed for greater accuracy.

The introduction of MTO has not only had a huge impact on Sheetz, but the entire convenience industry as a whole. It’s now moving towards offering fresh food at a faster rate than ever.

Today Earl has been with Sheetz for 33 years and is now Manager of Employee Programs in Sheetz’s corporate HR department. In his role, Earl oversees onboarding, training, recognition, and employee engagement. Earl and the company continue to deliver as Sheetz was recently named one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, ranked No. 97 and one of the Best Workplaces for Millennials, ranked No. 35.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CEO of Sheetz is a Penn Stater. Is he another member of the establishment?
The first Sheetz I ever went to was the one on Rt. 26 east of State College near Spring Creek. It was really small and nothing special.

If it's bathroom cleanliest that you yearn for while travelling on the byways... then it's Buc-ee's that's the Gold Standard. I've seen some larger locations having restroom attendants like swank hotels and night clubs, except that they are more mindful of keeping the lavatory apparati sparkling clean.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190515/buc-ees-tops-list-of-americas-cleanest-bathrooms-once-again

If you’ve never mistaken a Speedway for a Sheetz, it’s a mistake you’ll only make once.
I used to stop at one every day on the way home from running a bag room at a 54 hole nightmare from 5:30-3:00. They DID have 16 ounce Rocks for a dollar - which I bought 2 of every day (to get the French Canadian smells and accents out of my system). More than once, I would fall asleep at the Donald Ross drawbridge on the way home.

They and Race Track are indistinguishable down here - both horrid, but they have beer.

Reactions: Zenophile
The first Sheetz I ever went to was the one on Rt. 26 east of State College near Spring Creek. It was really small and nothing special.

Sheetz also pioneered the idea of 'convenience store as destination shopping' which is why you will often see them in the middle of nowhere with 32 gas pumps. They used to have a lot of smaller, neighborhood stores but abandoned the idea after wanting to be the 'Wal-Mart' of convenience stores. They still have a few smaller locations, but they don't build them anymore. Wawa recently opened up their biggest location in the US in DC - no gas either.

If it's bathroom cleanliest that you yearn for while travelling on the byways... then it's Buc-ee's that's the Gold Standard. I've seen some larger locations having restroom attendants like swank hotels and night clubs, except that they are more mindful of keeping the lavatory apparati sparkling clean.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190515/buc-ees-tops-list-of-americas-cleanest-bathrooms-once-again
Big chain hotel lobby bathrooms are a goto when traveling for me. Just act like you belong there. ;)

Sheetz also pioneered the idea of 'convenience store as destination shopping' which is why you will often see them in the middle of nowhere with 32 gas pumps. They used to have a lot of smaller, neighborhood stores but abandoned the idea after wanting to be the 'Wal-Mart' of convenience stores. They still have a few smaller locations, but they don't build them anymore. Wawa recently opened up their biggest location in the US in DC - no gas either.
They're tearing one down near me to rebuild bigger. It can't be 15 years old.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Anyone been to Buc-ees? I've heard that they are a step beyond WaWa/Sheetz.
bucess.jpg

I haven't been but all these stores are playing catch up to Sheetz and Wawa. Royal Farms is another we see use the Sheetz 'fast food convenience store' model in NoVa with big, bright, gas stations and fried chicken. On the whole, it's better for all of us if we don't have to dip into a Flying J when traveling...

Reactions: BBrown

I've never heard of Buc-ee'e but the next time I'm in Texas I'll keep them in mind. :)

The Wawa near PBIA is a nightmare because all the uber drivers/cabbies take over the wifi and the outside seating. They basically live there.

Hardly. Sheetz was one of, if not the first, to brand it's own colas and other in-store products. They also pioneered the MTO sandwich idea and touchscreen ordering in 1996 - Wawa had it three years later. From a 2016 Forbes article:

Sheetz Redefined The Convenience Store Customer Experience With MTO
  • Sheetz is a family-owned Mid-Atlantic chain with more than 500 stores and 17,500 employees. This year the company is celebrating an anniversary and a major milestone in convenience store customer experience. In 1986, Sheetz coined the term Made-to-Order, or “MTO.” It’s the ordering system that allows for made to order sandwiches at the store. It took the stigma away from a “gas station sandwich” and transformed the business.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fstanphelps%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F08%2FTURKEY-SUB_DW-1200x800.jpg

Here is the full story:

His Name Is Earl.

Earl Springer started his career with Sheetz in 1983. In 1986, Springer was a store manager at a Sheetz in Williamsport, Maryland. His store was one of five in the chain to be a test case for fried chicken. Earl found that sales for chicken were great in warm weather, but they precipitously dropped off in the cold. The chicken also took 20 minutes to make and had limited shelf life once made. With sales dropping in January and an impending store visit from the President, Earl needed a new idea to stimulate sales.

He and his team of 16 employees brainstormed ways to jump start business. They set their focus on the store’s pre-made deli offerings. Subs weren’t doing well, selling less than 100 sandwiches per week. The team figured the problem was one of perception. In the words of Clark Griswold in the 1983 movie Vacation, “I’m so hungry I could eat a sandwich from a gas station.”

They started to pursue the concept of Made-to-Order (MTO) sandwiches. The team visited two local sub stores for research. Earl determined they would avoid cheaper and focus on better. True to the mission of Sheetz, they’d provide quality customization to give customers what they wanted, when they wanted it. His team broke into groups that would tackle menu, training, accounting, and marketing. One hurdle was convincing leadership to fund an $1,100 sandwich preparation unit Earl had located. After getting the green light, the team experienced a slow start the first week. Undaunted, Earl and the team leaned in to market the new offering.

Signs, stickers, and radio station drops created awareness both in-store and within the community. It worked. Sub sales went from 96 pre-mades to 350 made-to-order subs per week and continued to climb. From there Earl helped Sheetz roll out MTO, retrofitting and retraining every store over the next few years. By the 1990s it was a sales leader for Sheetz. Continuing to innovate, Stan Sheetz introduced touchscreen ordering for MTO in 1996. The picture based system increased efficiency and allowed for greater accuracy.

The introduction of MTO has not only had a huge impact on Sheetz, but the entire convenience industry as a whole. It’s now moving towards offering fresh food at a faster rate than ever.

Today Earl has been with Sheetz for 33 years and is now Manager of Employee Programs in Sheetz’s corporate HR department. In his role, Earl oversees onboarding, training, recognition, and employee engagement. Earl and the company continue to deliver as Sheetz was recently named one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, ranked No. 97 and one of the Best Workplaces for Millennials, ranked No. 35.

And it all started in Altoona.
If you want some pretty good convince store fried chicken I think Royal Farms is very good.

ADVERTISEMENT