ADVERTISEMENT

First QB shotgun at PSU?

It depends on what you mean by shotgun. Back in the early 1900s when the primary ball handler was the tailback the Single Wing was essentially the shotgun. So I’m guessing that snapping the ball to someone that was not under center happened at Penn State long before Paterno.

Reactions: BBrown and sluggo72
I was there, 9/30/00 vs Purdue. Rashard Casey was the QB. The entire stadium let out a collective gasp and then broke out into a huge cheer.

And look what it started. Now we take a shotgun to our TVs because Franklin won’t go under center.

I was there, 9/30/00 vs Purdue. Rashard Casey was the QB. The entire stadium let out a collective gasp and then broke out into a huge cheer.
I was there too.

I have to believe Purdue was thoroughly confused as to why there were so many cheers. Nothing obvious had happened. Maybe their defensive coaches realized it right away.

I was there too.

I have to believe Purdue was thoroughly confused as to why there were so many cheers. Nothing obvious had happened. Maybe their defensive coaches realized it right away.
Much like what would happen today if we went under center.

Reactions: green2623
Not football related but .... I recall two PSU wrestlers back in 1987 taking some shotgun/rifle stock-hits to the head and chest, compliments of two fraternity brothers who caught them red-handed in our kitchen stealing food at 4am ....

Those two ‘rasslers had a bit of bad luck that night... bumped in to the two wrong dudes in our house... both ex US Army Rangers

oops

L.A. Lion may know the details ...

It depends on what you mean by shotgun. Back in the early 1900s when the primary ball handler was the tailback the Single Wing was essentially the shotgun. So I’m guessing that snapping the ball to someone that was not under center happened at Penn State long before Paterno.
Funny you say that, as Joe made that very point when people made a fuss about the “first” shotgun snap to Rashard Casey in 2000.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT