ADVERTISEMENT

first Hodge rankings are out

Personally, I'd have Cenzo as #1 right now. But nomad admits he's projecting a bit. Do you think we could finish w/ the top 3 vote-getters? That'd be something.

Reactions: diggerpup
Copyright Law and Fair Use

Copyright law allows "fair use" of small parts of copyrighted works without the permission of the author. If the reproduction is for the purpose of criticism, news reporting, teaching, or research it is more likely to be fair use than if it is copied for commercial purposes. It is difficult to make this determination in advance, however, since they typically depend on a number of case-specific criteria.
Fair use ain’t what it used to be. I think the thing is—Rivals sells ads, so while you individually might be right and safe here, the mods may feel differently.

I would probably swap #1 and #2 and maybe also #3 and #4.

My opinion is that the Hodge this year is Nolf's to lose with Bo in a close second place.

I don't know why they even have Gable Steveson on the list. Gable MIGHT turn out to be one of the greatest of all time but he hasn't done near enough YET to be even considered for this list.

I've LOATHED these "player of the year" projections since we started doing it with the Heisman decades ago. It's like we make it a foregone conclusion before ANYTHING has been settled. :mad:

In my personal opinion it should be

1. Nolf
2. Bo
2A. Cenzo
3. Zahid
4. Spencer

If I was voting here is my explanation as of now;

Nolf: 3x finalist 2x champ with all signs pointing to being a 4x and 3x. I don’t hold the medical situation last year against him, if anything it helps him. He comes back from a knee injury, possibly still hobbled, and still wins the tournament. Talk about dominance!

The next two for me are tricky. Bo has one more finals appearance ( I know he’s a year above him ). Cenzo has one more title. Over the last 2 years, Bo has been more dominant. This year, Cenzo is more dominant and in my opinion the most improved wrestler on the squad ( possibly Cassar but he was limited in competition last year and now at a different weight so I’m going with Cenzo ). With all that rambling I’m going with Bo at a slight edge at the 2 simply because he has an extra year of credentials.

3. Zahid: No question he’s one of the best on the scene. I just have a hard time putting his dominance over the first 3 ( maybe a bit biased, but I think him being behind those 3 is definitely warranted ).

4. Spencer: The only thing Spencer has against him is only being competing one year. I could definitely see him getting votes, especially if he has 100% bonus all season, which is possible. However, it’s possible Nolf has 100% bonus rate as well. Spencer is no doubt a special talent and I wish he wore the blue and white. Without injury, I think he’s a 2x hodge winner. ( I’m going with Nolf this year and Cenzo next year ).

Kitty, your criteria are FAR down the official list of criteria. Career achievements may be #6 or #7, and typically only used for a tiebreaker.

Last edited:

1. Nolf
2. Bo
2A. Cenzo
3. Zahid
4. Spencer

Nolf: 3x finalist 2x champ with all signs pointing to being a 4x and 3x. I don’t hold the medical situation last year against him, if anything it helps him. He comes back from a knee injury, possibly still hobbled, and still wins the tournament. Talk about dominance!

The next two for me are tricky. Bo has one more finals appearance ( I know he’s a year above him ). Cenzo has one more title. Over the last 2 years, Bo has been more dominant. This year, Cenzo is more dominant and in my opinion the most improved wrestler on the squad ( possibly Cassar but he was limited in competition last year and now at a different weight so I’m going with Cenzo ). With all that rambling I’m going with Bo at a slight edge at the 2 simply because he has an extra year of credentials.

3. Zahid: No question he’s one of the best on the scene. I just have a hard time putting his dominance over the first 3 ( maybe a bit biased, but I think him being behind those 3 is definitely warranted ).

4. Spencer: The only thing Spencer has against him is only being competing one year. I could definitely see him getting votes, especially if he has 100% bonus all season, which is possible. However, it’s possible Nolf has 100% bonus rate as well. Spencer is no doubt a special talent and I wish he wore the blue and white. Without injury, I think he’s a 2x hodge winner. ( I’m going with Nolf this year and Cenzo next year ).
I agree with your picks and rational although I have a few corrections. First, Cenzo does not have more titles than Bo. Second, Spencer can't be a 2x hodge winner if you give Nolf this year and Cenzo next year. That leaves Spencer with his senior year unless he redshirts next year. Otherwise, spot on.

Reactions: Junglekitty

1. Nolf
2. Bo
2A. Cenzo
3. Zahid
4. Spencer

Zahid has one more week to enjoy being on this list. After that Wreck Hall crashes the top 5.

Well they had co-winners in 2001. If Nolf and Nickal go undefeated, I would definitely think they deserve to be co-winners.
Entirely different animal. For anyone that wants an uplifting story, do a search on Nick Ackerman, 2001 Hodge Winner.

Entirely different animal. For anyone that wants an uplifting story, do a search on Nick Ackerman, 2001 Hodge Winner.
The Ackerman story is incredible and inspiring. Doesn't change my point that there is precedent for co-winners.

The Ackerman story is incredible and inspiring. Doesn't change my point that there is precedent for co-winners.
Get that. I guess my thought is that it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

WIN decided to hand out two Hodges that year...in other words, there was no tie vote, just a conscious decision by WIN for an extraordinary situation.

Here's hoping for a tie vote this year, albeit unlikely. Both guys have had stellar careers and either would be worthy recipients.

...do a search on Nick Ackerman, 2001 Hodge Winner.
I did just that--found the WIN article.

Contained therein, this gem of a quote from Bobby Douglas:
“For Cael to be a double Hodge winner is huge. It could be the biggest thing ever in wrestling,” Douglas said. “Being a two-time Heisman Trophy winner of wrestling is a feat which may never be accomplished again.

How about that for some perspective, as we bask in the afterglow of Cael's 3rd, DT's 2, and Zain's really-shoulda-been 3. It's been darn f*n!

I wish they would stick to the criteria, this isnt novice wrestling,and it only diminishes the luster of the award when you have a TIE. Give it to the guy who EARNED it BY THE CRITERIA. There should only be a VOTE if there is a tie after the first 3 criteria are taken into account.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I wish they would stick to the criteria, this isnt novice wrestling,and it only diminishes the luster of the award when you have a TIE. Give it to the guy who EARNED it BY THE CRITERIA. There should only be a VOTE if there is a tie after the first 3 criteria are taken into account.
NSIS? Did you perchance feed your 3 year-old nails this morning, so he could spit them later?

Your take on Ackerman diminishing the award and Goggles take on Ryan Anderson reside in the same area of that really lopsided venn diagram (anybody care to take me up on that?).

NSIS? Did you perchance feed your 3 year-old nails this morning, so he could spit them later?

Your take on Ackerman diminishing the award and Goggles take on Ryan Anderson reside in the same area of that really lopsided venn diagram (anybody care to take me up on that?).

Ackermans case was different, I didnt mean to include him.

Reactions: dicemen99
I'm fine with the award being primarily (ultimately) subjective. It's hard to get excited about "choice" of an algorithm (with all due respect to wrestlestat--David Taylor's opinion is what matters to me when it comes to picking the best of the year). Yes, it did cost Zain what maybe should have been his first of 3, but even we spoiled fans can't always be pleased.

Are these Hodge rankings really "official" like Flo states or are they Flowrestling's best guesses of the leaders based on WIN Magazine's published criteria?

I'm fine with the award being primarily (ultimately) subjective. It's hard to get excited about "choice" of an algorithm (with all due respect to wrestlestat--David Taylor's opinion is what matters to me when it comes to picking the best of the year). Yes, it did cost Zain what maybe should have been his first of 3, but even we spoiled fans can't always be pleased.

There are various subjective awards to keep one’s mind wondering. B10 WOY, B10 Frosh of year, Soph, etc.
Each team has their own MVP (or should)
OW of B10 and NCAA tourney.... All subjective.

The hodge has guidelines and isnt meant to be a popularity contest, and its not based on some un-understandable algorithm, the main 3 criteria are cut-and-dry, and this is what guys like Nolf/ Lee/ Cenzo are aiming for.
There should be no guessing who is winning the Hodge, although since the Hodge was instituted, the NCAA has started giving out “most dominant wrestler” award, which is not subjective either, so maybe the Hodge being subjective would be OK.... We dont really need both, the Hodge already was SUPPOSED to be awarded to the most dominant.

Last edited:
Miles to go before March but I think if Nolf and Nickal finish undefeated and have only a small handful of non-bonus decisions between them (and, say, Cenzo and/or Lee don't somehow exceed them both statistically), that there'd be popular sentiment for them to share the award. Because the argument for one over the other can't be that one has 15 pins and the other 12... statistically they're both going to be all-time bonus monsters with few peers. If Win Magazine ginned up a tie-vote before that's precedent for them doing it again.

I recall in their freshman season a quote from someone, I think Cael, about how they were so confident that they were jokingly arguing over who would have more Hodges before they were through. Turns out none so far but I don't think anyone's complaining.

Miles to go before March but I think if Nolf and Nickal finish undefeated and have only a small handful of non-bonus decisions between them (and, say, Cenzo and/or Lee don't somehow exceed them both statistically), that there'd be popular sentiment for them to share the award. Because the argument for one over the other can't be that one has 15 pins and the other 12... statistically they're both going to be all-time bonus monsters with few peers. If Win Magazine ginned up a tie-vote before that's precedent for them doing it again.

I recall in their freshman season a quote from someone, I think Cael, about how they were so confident that they were jokingly arguing over who would have more Hodges before they were through. Turns out none so far but I don't think anyone's complaining.

Other than Lee or Zahid I cant see anyone else stealing it from PSU for years to come. DOMINATION is what we aim for.

Zahid was just removed from the Hodge discussion. Mark Hall headslapped him out of position, took his place, and then drove (rode) him home.

When is the last time a team had the top 4 wrestlers in the Hodge rankings ?

When is the last time a team had the top 4 wrestlers in the Hodge rankings ?
I believe it was in the Flintstone's Era (Team Bedrock): Bamm Bamm (125), Barney (165), Mr. Slate (184), and Fred (285) formed an indomitable quartet . . . and even managed to sing barbershop songs on the side. Dino (197) finished 6th in the voting for Bedrock. Only the Great Gazoo (133 and 5th in the final rankings) threatened them for the Hodge (formerly called the Great Water Buffalo).

Reactions: Ja1339
I believe it was in the Flintstone's Era (Team Bedrock): Bamm Bamm (125), Barney (165), Mr. Slate (184), and Fred (285) formed an indomitable quartet . . . and even managed to sing barbershop songs on the side. Dino (197) finished 6th in the voting for Bedrock. Only the Great Gazoo (133 and 5th in the final rankings) threatened them for the Hodge (formerly called the Great Water Buffalo).

Lol, I recall Bam Bam being quite impressive

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT