ADVERTISEMENT

First crack at Big Ten Seeds

Criteria has mostly been body of work within the conference, with head-to-head an emphasis in past years. Digging into a season's results, and it wasn't too hard to get the seedings really close. Then came the pandemic, reduced schedules, cancelled duals, etc. Injured wrestlers have even fewer bouts, and what we have is a bit of a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if past year's results are used to some degree for the non-freshmen.

The seeding committee has their work cut out for them. All the points/counterpoints in this thread have merit. A few head-scratchers, though, when the pre-seeds are announced would not be surprising.

“First crack at Big Ten Seeds”

Did anyone else see “crack” and “seeds” and think “What does Zain do to watermelons?” :)

he-said-crack-heh-heh-heh.jpg

Maybe you can put him at 5, but I think Luffman definitely deserves the 4 for beating both Hillger and Orndorff. But with Hillger being a past AA and also losing to Lance, I still think in reality those 2 should probably be seeded ahead of Kerk too. Keep in mind seedings aren't predictions.
Doubt that Kerk would get the 5 seed. This past weekend Luffman beat Lance in OT (an entertaining bout, I might add), and both beat Hilger. The likely outcome is Luffman at 4 and Lance at 5. You could maybe argue Kerk at 6, but beating two guys from Maryland isn't really much of a resume', so you probably put Hilger at 6 based on being a former AA, though Hilger hasn't been great so far in 2021. Next in line would be Orndorff, who has been rather unimpressive this season. I'd guess that Kerk would slide in ahead of Orndorff.

Bottom line, Kerk will probably be seeded in the 6-8 range, with #7 the most likely outcome.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Mechanically, 6 is probably the best spot for Kerk. 6 would mean seeing Cassi then Parris then Steveson depending on how far he goes (IMO, I don't think he'll beat either Parris or Steveson, although as a wildcard in the draw, he has the ability to do that the others don't), but most importantly not potentially throwing Parris or Steveson into wrestlebacks in the quarters if he does score the upset. Not that I think that's where he'll end up, but I think it creates the best draw.
If I were you, I'd probably want him at the 12 or 13 (which is possible based on his results). It's essentially the 4 seed, which is where common sense would put him if you don't have to stick to results. He'd probably bonus his ways to the semis. It puts him on Gable's side, but there's no easy path to the finals on either side with Parris. Anything else puts him in a tough quarter. I think he beats Cassioppi, but I'm not sure he's as likely to bonus Cass as Luffman/Lance.

Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Doubt that Kerk would get the 5 seed. This past weekend Luffman beat Lance in OT (an entertaining bout, I might add), and both beat Hilger. The likely outcome is Luffman at 4 and Lance at 5. You could maybe argue Kerk at 6, but beating two guys from Maryland isn't really much of a resume', so you probably put Hilger at 6 based on being a former AA, though Hilger hasn't been great so far in 2021. Next in line would be Orndorff, who has been rather unimpressive this season. I'd guess that Kerk would slide in ahead of Orndorff.

Bottom line, Kerk will probably be seeded in the 6-8 range, with #7 the most likely outcome.

I think you could maybe argue 5 because Hillger doesn't have a great resume this year, and Hillger is really only Lance's good win so in theory I could see coaches putting him ahead of both of them. I don't see Kerk at 6 though, because Hillger probably has the edge on him due to being an AA, and if you put Hillger ahead of him then you have to put Lance ahead too.

I agree 7 seems the most likely. I could also see 8 as possible behind Orndorff.

@RoarLions1
Please refresh my memory -- will the brackets get seeded all the way 1-14? Or will some be seeded 1-8 with random draws for the other 6 guys?

Great question. 1-14 was the new guideline, just last year, which was supposed to be ‘now and forever’. I’d bet dollars to a donut it’ll be 1-14. A bit early, but will see what I can find out.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Great question. 1-14 was the new guideline, just last year, which was supposed to be ‘now and forever’. I’d bet dollars to a donut it’ll be 1-14. A bit early, but will see what I can find out.
I believe all 14 as well.

@RoarLions1
Please refresh my memory -- will the brackets get seeded all the way 1-14? Or will some be seeded 1-8 with random draws for the other 6 guys?
Just heard back. Yes, absolutely seeded to 14.

ADVERTISEMENT