ADVERTISEMENT

Finland, the Soviets and WWII article.

Probably right, but I enjoy it!

I'm a ND fan through and through (but do have some connections to PSU too) ... and really enjoy this PSU board more than the ND boards due to it's variety.

So far, you're the ONLY ND poster I like who visits this board sir.

But still; tread lightly.

:);):)

So far, you're the ONLY ND poster I like who visits this board sir.

But still; tread lightly.

:);):)

Come on Glov- all fans are welcome here so long as they aren't trolling.....even ND. ;)

If you're really interested in the Finnish- Soviet war and post war relationship, the History channel (IIRC) had a great show on these events and how Finnish troops on skis revolutionized fighting at that time neutralizing a Soviet advantage. There are also relatively recent articles (post Crimea invasion) talking about Finnish attitudes toward joining NATO. Support was increasing (but not to a level to definitely join). It did cause the Russian ambassador (IIRC) to pretty much threaten them if they were to ever vote to join NATO.

EDIT- Simo Hayha was a Finnish sniper with over 500 kills (in 100 days) against the Soviets in the Winter War. Interesting read about him. Nicknamed "White Death" by the Russians.

Last edited:
Come on Glov- all fans are welcome here so long as they aren't trolling.....even ND. ;)

If you're really interested in the Finnish- Soviet war and post war relationship, the History channel (IIRC) had a great show on these events and how Finnish troops on skis revolutionized fighting at that time neutralizing a Soviet advantage. There are also relatively recent articles (post Crimea invasion) talking about Finnish attitudes toward joining NATO. Support was increasing (but not to a level to definitely join). It did cause the Russian ambassador (IIRC) to pretty much threaten them if they were to ever vote to join NATO.

EDIT- Simo Hayha was a Finnish sniper with over 500 kills (in 100 days) against the Soviets in the Winter War. Interesting read about him. Nicknamed "White Death" by the Russians.
Hayha makes Chris Kyle look like an amateur. Dude sucked on ice chips in -20 temps so his exhalations didn't give his position away.

GLOV, I give you credit. How many college football oriented boards have a mention of the Soviet/Finnish war? I would suggest only ours.

That's what makes this board great. This board hits just about everything from the Finnish- Soviet war, to early American history, to the Egyptian revolution, to what's the best restaurant/ hotel in Prague or Venice. Oh, and we manage to slide in some Penn State discussion too. ;)

The 'real time' discussions on events like the Boston marathon bombing (by posters who are in the middle of it) are great too. Often quicker and more accurate info than the national media coverage (shocking, I know....;)).

Reactions: fairgambit

What the Fins escaped was being vilified by the entire world due to their affiliation with the Nazis. One could say their ongoing problems with Russia led them to partnership with Germany (Enemy of my enemy is my friend). Regardless, if you know anything about the Soviets, you know they didn't gain their footing until the 1942, after the Nazi invasion of Russia stalled (on Moscow) and Hitler (running low on fuel) moved away from Moscow and toward the Balkans. That allowed the Soviets to mass produce the T-34 and they became a world power militarily.

The Fins knew that, if the war persisted after 1944, they'd have been buried. The Soviets were less concerned about the Fins and more concerned about the allies (with nukes) ganging up on them. Smart move on both parts to settle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT