ADVERTISEMENT

Finally. THE SCHEDULE!!

Hear ya, though imo that's not the end of this time frame that is concerning to the coaches. Senior Nationals will be a brutal tournament, with guys that stay alive getting four, maybe five bouts. The Scuffle is also brutal, and is only nine days-of-rest later, with winners getting up to five bouts, and wrestlers getting more if bumped to wrestle-backs. Too close together.

Is it possible that some of our guys that don't go to Senior Nationals may go instead to a tournament like the Scuffle?

Is Senior Nationals an Open? Can we send everyone or do they have to have in some way qualified?

Reactions: Antaeus
Is it possible that some of our guys that don't go to Senior Nationals may go instead to a tournament like the Scuffle?

Is Senior Nationals an Open? Can we send everyone or do they have to have in some way qualified?
Senior Nationals is itself a qualifying tournament for the Olympic Trials. Anyone can go, I believe.

As far as your first question, I don't know. It's a good question, and I would think it could be valuable for those that don't go to Senior Nationals to see some action. We shall see...if I hear anything, and I'm able, it will be posted on this forum.

Senior Nationals is itself a qualifying tournament for the Olympic Trials. Anyone can go, I believe.

As far as your first question, I don't know. It's a good question, and I would think it could be valuable for those that don't go to Senior Nationals to see some action. We shall see...if I hear anything, and I'm able, it will be posted on this forum.
I believe PSU can cannot send more than 5 or 6 attached wrestlers to a tournament without it counting as a scheduling date. Right now I believe there is room for one more date in the schedule. Theoretically it is possible that PSU could send a few wrestlers to both the Scuffle and Midlands to get some exposure to a big tournament. Of course rumor has it that the Midlands is already full.

I believe PSU can cannot send more than 5 or 6 attached wrestlers to a tournament without it counting as a scheduling date. Right now I believe there is room for one more date in the schedule. Theoretically it is possible that PSU could send a few wrestlers to both the Scuffle and Midlands to get some exposure to a big tournament. Of course rumor has it that the Midlands is already full.
Just from a rules standpoint, you are correct. 16 dates allowed, only 15 on the schedule. Remember, the 16 competition dates is not just a team thing, but an individual wrestler thing too.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
NOVEMBER
Sun. 10 NAVY 2 p.m.

Sun. 17 at Army-West Point Invite 10 a.m.
Fri. 22 at Arizona State TBA

DECEMBER
Fri. 6 at Lehigh TBA
Sun. 8 PENN 2 p.m.

JANUARY
Fri. 10 ILLINOIS* TBA
Sun. 12 NORTHWESTERN* TBA
Sun. 19 RUTGERS* TBA

Fri. 24 at Nebraska* TBA
Fri. 31 at Iowa* TBA

FEBRUARY
Sun. 2 MARYLAND* TBA

Fri. 7 at Wisconsin* TBA
Sun. 9 at Minnesota* TBA
Sat. 15 OHIO STATE* (BJC) TBA
Sun 23 AMERICAN 2 p.m.

MARCH
Sat.-Sun. 7-8 Big Ten Championships (Piscataway, N.J.)

Sat. 7 Session 1 -- Opening Round
Sat. 7 Session 2 -- Semifinals
Sun. 8 Session 3 -- Conso/Places/Championships

Thur.-Sat. 19-21 NCAA Championships (US Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minn.)
Thur. 19 Session 1 -- 1st Round
Thur. 19 Session 2 -- 2nd Round/Consolations
Fri. 20 Session 3 -- Quarterfinals/Consolations
Fri. 20 Session 4 -- Semifinals/All-America Round
Sat. 21 Session 5 -- Medal Rounds
Sat. 21 Session 6 -- Championship Finals

* Big Ten Dual
Well, pick me up off of the floor.... it has finally arrived :):):):):):)

So bummed that there is NO Scuffle. Was looking forward to Chattanoga and seeing all the PSU guys in action. Well, do what's best fro the team.

Last edited:
the full news release

Playing the role of wet paper bag...
"Alll dates and times on the schedule are, as always, subject to change."

I find the extra 'L' in 'All' ominous.

Historians, has a scheduled home wrestling date ever changed? I've seen same day time changes in other sports. Has one ever changed not due to a weather event preventing the visiting team's arrival?

Reactions: Ja1339
The coaches did what was best for the Penn State wrestling team, I really hope that is what fans see.

-- 8 duals at home, the most formidable opponent, by far, is tOSU, which will be held in the BJC
-- The weak home schedule overall is due to the Big Ten rotation, and the fact that two great duals are away (see next bullet), iow happenstance
-- Two of our best duals, on paper, are away (Lehigh and ASU). Lehigh away because it's their turn, and ASU away because it's a home-and-home contract, and this is their home dual
-- No Keystone, as that weekend conflicted with ASU
-- Army Invitational, as it's the weekend (Nov. 17), which was open
-- No Scuffle, as it's too close to Senior Nationals, and keeping the team fresh, and peaking for NCAA's was more important than attending this tournament

Keeping it positive, every chance I get to see the Nits is a plus, regardless of opponent. West Point is within travel distance for locals, so is Lehigh...as is the Big Ten Championship. Not bad, imo...

With all due respect to you and the coaches, this non conference schedule is weak at best. As a long term season ticket holder the home schedule is disappointing. Akin to scheduling three FCS opponents in football. What purpose does those types of games/matches really serve?

The coaches did what was best for the Penn State wrestling team, I really hope that is what fans see.

-- 8 duals at home, the most formidable opponent, by far, is tOSU, which will be held in the BJC
-- The weak home schedule overall is due to the Big Ten rotation, and the fact that two great duals are away (see next bullet), iow happenstance
-- Two of our best duals, on paper, are away (Lehigh and ASU). Lehigh away because it's their turn, and ASU away because it's a home-and-home contract, and this is their home dual
-- No Keystone, as that weekend conflicted with ASU
-- Army Invitational, as it's the weekend (Nov. 17), which was open
-- No Scuffle, as it's too close to Senior Nationals, and keeping the team fresh, and peaking for NCAA's was more important than attending this tournament

Keeping it positive, every chance I get to see the Nits is a plus, regardless of opponent. West Point is within travel distance for locals, so is Lehigh...as is the Big Ten Championship. Not bad, imo...

And no crying from Tan Tom about Rec Hall dual, so that's a positive, at least for Tom.

With all due respect to you and the coaches, this non conference schedule is weak at best. As a long term season ticket holder the home schedule is disappointing. Akin to scheduling three FCS opponents in football. What purpose does those types of games/matches really serve?

I would say Navy is actually the 2nd best dual team behind tOSU on the home schedule.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...your comments are one-sided, imo. The overall schedule includes Lehigh, Arizona State, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin, all away, and Ohio State at home...so the schedule strength is pretty good.

Cherry-picking Penn, Navy, and American to make a point isn't fair. It's part happenstance, part helping out another PA team (not counting Lehigh), and part challenges matching up two team's schedules. Scheduling is much, much harder than most know. I'll live with this year's schedule … especially knowing Lehigh, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin are all at home next year.

Last edited:
I'm in 100% disagreement with you. This staff has given us 8 of the last 9 NCs. And, they have us set for 8 or more of the next 9.

Among other things, they are trying, and do a pretty good job, of balancing NCs, budgets, Olympic aspirations, athlete recognition (duals close to athletes' home towns), doing things for struggling programs (Boston U., Utah), the fans, etc. I don't think any of us can imagine how difficult it is.

So, i guess I'm another one that is going to just appreciate what we have, while we have it.

I'm in 100% disagreement with you. This staff has given us 8 of the last 9 NCs. And, they have us set for 8 or more of the next 9.

Among other things, they are trying, and do a pretty good job, of balancing NCs, budgets, Olympic aspirations, athlete recognition (duals close to athletes' home towns), doing things for struggling programs (Boston U., Utah), the fans, etc. I don't think any of us can imagine how difficult it is.

So, i guess I'm another one that is going to just appreciate what we have, while we have it.
Also, PSU's postseason results are not a coincidence. Every year's schedule is designed to optimize the team's performance at the NCAA Tournament. The specific duals, the teams at each tournament, the variety of opponents, the cycling of intensity, the rest periods -- all of it is to prepare the team for March.

Of course we could always have Lehigh's schedule last year. Who wants Lehigh's postesason?

Also, PSU's postseason results are not a coincidence. Every year's schedule is designed to optimize the team's performance at the NCAA Tournament. The specific duals, the teams at each tournament, the variety of opponents, the cycling of intensity, the rest periods -- all of it is to prepare the team for March.

Of course we could always have Lehigh's schedule last year. Who wants Lehigh's postesason?
Yep, it's all in there.

To basically tie two points already mentioned together, scheduling of the small d 1 teams not only helps a growing/struggling program, but also keeps the guys out of too many grueling matches in an already grueling season. Hence why the rumors floots that the team doesn’t do cklv, it’s like big ten/nationals lite.

To basically tie two points already mentioned together, scheduling of the small d 1 teams not only helps a growing/struggling program, but also keeps the guys out of too many grueling matches in an already grueling season. Hence why the rumors floots that the team doesn’t do cklv, it’s like big ten/nationals lite.
Ohio State is the December National Champion.

I am pretty certain last year's PSU team could have handled Lehigh's schedule without having a Lehigh post season.

Reactions: Wilco43
Yep, it's all in there.

Freestyle and the RTC are major recruiting tools. Success at that level is important to keeping the pipeline of blue chips full, and staying on top as a D1 team.

Rec hall tickets are cheap entertainment in my mind.

#itrustincael
#embracetheprocess
#theviewisbiggerthanthelenselookingatit
#eatitturk

Reactions: Sam Spade 80
I am pretty certain last year's PSU team could have handled Lehigh's schedule without having a Lehigh post season.
Last year's team could have since the margin between PSU and the field was enormous. That would not be the case this year, at least where the team stands now.

"Lehigh postseason" was admittedly an exaggeration for effect.

But with different scheduling -- by Cael or by the runnerup -- we could well have 3 fewer titles:
2013 -- 4 pts over OKST.
2014 -- 5.5 pts from the Goofer t-shirts being a lot less funny
2018 -- Ohio State collapsed in Day 2

A couple of Questions.
Is the Army Invite a team dual tournament or an individual tournament.?
Who would be some of the other teams participating in Army Invite?
Not knowing how big the venue is for Army,would you need to buy tickets in advance or could you purchase at the door.?

Not overly concerned about the schedule. My eye is more on the starting lineup. I know the Olympics are a dream for most of these guys but I don't think PSU has a single guy that is a threat to make the team in Freestyle. If this schedule is a way to keep everyone in the lineup while letting them chase their Olympic dream, I'm all for it.

Not overly concerned about the schedule. My eye is more on the starting lineup. I know the Olympics are a dream for most of these guys but I don't think PSU has a single guy that is a threat to make the team in Freestyle. If this schedule is a way to keep everyone in the lineup while letting them chase their Olympic dream, I'm all for it.
I haven’t been recruited by Cael (yet), but my understanding is the pitch has pretty much everything to do with #goals and the support you need to get there. This schedule can only help convince tomorrow’s recruits the staff practices what it preaches. If we manage to have the freshest elite team come March, we’ll shoot, that’s never happened before... ;)

A couple of Questions.
Is the Army Invite a team dual tournament or an individual tournament.?
Who would be some of the other teams participating in Army Invite?
Not knowing how big the venue is for Army,would you need to buy tickets in advance or could you purchase at the door.?

Nov 17 - Black Knight Invite (Army, Penn State, Hofstra, Central Michigan, Indiana, Michigan, Maryland, Bloomsburg)

It is an 8-team invitational. Teams tend to bring more than 10 wrestlers (last year Army had 18, Lock Haven had 19, Columbia 14, Binghamton 15, Buffalo 13). Unless I am mistaken, looks like some were freshman on redshirt. Results are on trackwrestling.

The Christl Arena seats 5,043. No idea about buying tickets at door or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Mike
"Lehigh postseason" was admittedly an exaggeration for effect.

But with different scheduling -- by Cael or by the runnerup -- we could well have 3 fewer titles:
2013 -- 4 pts over OKST.
2014 -- 5.5 pts from the Goofer t-shirts being a lot less funny
2018 -- Ohio State collapsed in Day 2
I got your point, I was just saying PSU and staff aren't Lehigh and Lehigh's post season is never gonna look like PSU's post season or vice versa.

Nov 17 - Black Knight Invite (Army, Penn State, Hofstra, Central Michigan, Indiana, Michigan, Maryland, Bloomsburg)

It is an 8-team invitational. Teams tend to bring more than 10 wrestlers (last year Army had 18, Lock Haven had 19, Columbia 14, Binghamton 15, Buffalo 13). Unless I am mistaken, looks like some were freshman on redshirt. Results are on trackwrestling.

Thanks for this ^.

I will have info on ticket prices and group sales soon. If it's anything like the Keystone Classic, there will be plenty of tickets remaining for at-the-door purchase.

I remember the one year Penn State couldn't make it to the Southern Scuffle due to weather and I thought this is it, the whole peaking at nationals is over. They won't get the competition they need. 3 months later. National Champions.

Complaining about a weak out of conference while wrestling a Big Ten schedule is like complaining that Alabama plays a weak non-conference schedule by putting FCS teams on it. It makes no sense when your conference is hands down the best. There are at best 4-5 teams outside the Big Ten I would think would elevate the schedule one of which is already on it with ASU having some top end talent on their roster.

I don't mind it at all especially in an Olympic year.

When you get to watch a program which has been as dominant as PSU wrestling, who the other guy is almost doesn’t matter. At my funeral, my kids will be talking about how dad took them to PSU matches during the Sanderson years....

I am there to see Penn State get ready for March.

Thanks for this ^.

I will have info on ticket prices and group sales soon. If it's anything like the Keystone Classic, there will be plenty of tickets remaining for at-the-door purchase.
The Army Invitational is not a ticketed event, per their ticket office.

To get "on post", if you're 18 or over, you'll need a government-issued ID. It is possible a visitor's pass may be needed (they're confirming), in which case stopping by the visitor's center may be required. This isn't a quick process, so guessing they'll find a way to streamline.

Wouldn't be fair since BECA has a larger recruiting budget!;)

LOL. Tough to have a tough OOC schedule when you are as good as we are. In the last 9 years other than OK State there is no school that could consistently give us a close dual. Even in the BIG there are only 1 or 2 teams each year that are really tough. Price of being so dominant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT