ADVERTISEMENT

Finally some good news about scheduling little brother

Pittttttt used to be a great rivalry but now, with conference realignment it isn't the same situation. Plus, with PSU being in the Big10 East division we have a difficult enough road without a major opponent in our OOC schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I love big time OOC opponents, in the past they served a purpose but the playoff's don't seem to reward us for them, only penalize us for them. I was in the stadium in Sept. 1982 for the Nebraska game, never had a great experience at a home game ever. Wish we ended every season with UN as our rivalry opponent. It is a conf. game and will soon be a major opponent again with new coaching. Pitt is sinking and other than their yearly upset of a big major they don't play very well. To say they are Akron level is wrong though. I never expect to see Akron beat Clemson or Miami anytime soon.

I hope they hang onto their keychains and free soda pops in Pittsburgh, because that 2016 win is going to be the last one for a long, long time.

Reactions: john4psu

How about the commonwealth gets involved and forces Pitt to give up football or drop to FCS?

The problem with Pitt is simple math.

PSU gets 3 pre-conference games and two of those need to be at the Beav -- that's for the budget and also for PSU fans.

Two teams every year will be App State/Kent State type teams that play at the Beav for cash.

So that means there's only room for ONE home-and-home opponent on the schedule. If that team is Pitt, that means Penn State will never be able to play competitive non-conference games. Well top programs play other top programs in the preseason.

Ohio State schedules Oklahoma. Michigan plays Florida and Notre Dame. Alabama plays Florida State. Prestige games against tough opponents are important for picking playoff teams, they're important for recruiting and they're important in player development. Even if you lose, they help get your team ready for conference play - imagine how much better Ohio State practices were last year after they lost to Oklahoma.

If PSU is serious about being a top 10 or top program they have to schedule one serious opponent in the noncon. And Pitt is just not at that level and not likely to be in the future.

If you think Pitt is a rivalry game that has to be played every year, you are essentially holding back Penn State from trying to be a top 10 program.

For Pitt go get to where they want to be in CFB, they need to make this game happen at any cost, even if that is giving up home games.

Reactions: Mixolydian
The problem with Pitt is simple math.

PSU gets 3 pre-conference games and two of those need to be at the Beav -- that's for the budget and also for PSU fans.

Two teams every year will be App State/Kent State type teams that play at the Beav for cash.

So that means there's only room for ONE home-and-home opponent on the schedule. If that team is Pitt, that means Penn State will never be able to play competitive non-conference games. Well top programs play other top programs in the preseason.

Ohio State schedules Oklahoma. Michigan plays Florida and Notre Dame. Alabama plays Florida State. Prestige games against tough opponents are important for picking playoff teams, they're important for recruiting and they're important in player development. Even if you lose, they help get your team ready for conference play - imagine how much better Ohio State practices were last year after they lost to Oklahoma.

If PSU is serious about being a top 10 or top program they have to schedule one serious opponent in the noncon. And Pitt is just not at that level and not likely to be in the future.

If you think Pitt is a rivalry game that has to be played every year, you are essentially holding back Penn State from trying to be a top 10 program.
I tend to agree. Only caveat is that the playoff committee has punished OOC losses the past couple years. But I agree with you.

One is as good as the next.

Appalachian State is a big draw.
Kent state is a big draw.
Temple is a big draw.
Buffalo is a big draw.
San Diego St.is a big draw.
UMass is a big draw.
Akron is a big draw.

And so on....
And the National Championship is a bigger draw! Yes, we don't want all games to be tough as we do need some games to get new freshmen or 1st year players ready for the tougher teams. That is the only reason we might have wanted to keep Pitt on the schedule...as a tune up for the B1G games.

As much as people don't want the Pitt game, they sure do show up at the Beav.
https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-...ks-seventh-all-time-in-beaver-stadium-history

I'm not surprised that a game played during a beautiful warm September weekend against a team who's entire fan base lives with 2-3 hours was a big draw. Especially since there was a novelty to this being the first meeting at Beaver Stadium in nearly 2 decades. It was a perfect storm, and it only registered at #7. In only a few short years that won't even be in the top 10.

Subject Penn State fans to this game and awful fanbase yearly.... and attendance likely drops off quickly. Imagine putting the game back on Thanksgiving weekend, students off campus, cold weather... meaningless OOC game in the middle of a B10 championship run... lots of empty seats.

Reactions: gregoryj95
I think Penn State should play Pitt, I for one think it is a and could be a pretty good rivalry. I also think PSU should play WVU on a regular basis. Schedule Pitt for a 2 for 1 or home at home for a cycle and then WVU for a cycle. Both play in a power 5 conference both have been bowl teams(WVU more so) and both are natural rivals. Now I understand wanting to go out and play other teams and PSU should but I think they should find a way to play these two teams on a semi rergular basis. Lastly Pitt should play Temple every year, and that could be a great rivalry as Pitt should play WVU every year. Anyway I see both points of view I just like the home cooked rivalry is all
Pitt and WVU pretend that they are major league programs. Thus they would never agree to anything but a home and home arrangement. This means we would never play another decent out of conference team (e.g. Auburn, Va Tech, etc.) since we have to have 7 home games every year to support the athletic department.

This is all about getting money for the pitt athletic department. Playing Penn State gets pitt money. Playing Temple will not get pitt money so nobody is talking about that. Pitt needs money. They would play Penn State 10 times a season if they could just to get the money.

How about the commonwealth gets involved and forces Pitt to give up football or drop to FCS?

For Pitt go get to where they want to be in CFB, they need to make this game happen at any cost, even if that is giving up home games.
A 9-1 is the cost it should be for them. That we we get 4 decent OOC rotations in a decade. People seem to forget that a 2-1 will still stop us from being able to sign a home and home against a real P5 opponent every time we sell out Heinz field for them.

Reactions: pandaczar12
^ The only relevant point to the topic at hand.

And the only point that need be made - after which all of the idiocy should have terminated.

Unfortunately, I expect the point of the above post flew well over the head of most of the debaters.
The point didn't fly over the heads of most debaters. Some just disagree with your opinion and are then describing our reasons for disagreeing with your opinion. Consider, as a possibility, that maybe you are the one that has stuff flying over your head.

I think Penn State should play Pitt, I for one think it is a and could be a pretty good rivalry. I also think PSU should play WVU on a regular basis. Schedule Pitt for a 2 for 1 or home at home for a cycle and then WVU for a cycle. Both play in a power 5 conference both have been bowl teams(WVU more so) and both are natural rivals. Now I understand wanting to go out and play other teams and PSU should but I think they should find a way to play these two teams on a semi rergular basis. Lastly Pitt should play Temple every year, and that could be a great rivalry as Pitt should play WVU every year. Anyway I see both points of view I just like the home cooked rivalry is all
I'd love to play WVU every year instead of Pitt but I realize it'll never happen. For that reason I'd like to see WVU in the B1G someday. I know they'd prefer the B1G to the Big XII based on geography alone. PSU, Maryland and OSU would all be relatively easy drives for them. I understand the academic argument against them but maybe the B1G should get its nose out of the air and stop pretending expansion has anything to do with academics.

I'd love to play WVU every year instead of Pitt but I realize it'll never happen. For that reason I'd like to see WVU in the B1G someday. I know they'd prefer the B1G to the Big XII based on geography alone. PSU, Maryland and OSU would all be relatively easy drives for them. I understand the academic argument against them but maybe the B1G should get its nose out of the air and stop pretending expansion has anything to do with academics.

If it's about money, which it really is, WVU fails in that respect, too.

I think WVU could be a great game for PSU. They are a winning program, always seem to be in a bowl, recruit well, are in a power 5 conference and are close to PSU.

I think Penn State should play Pitt, I for one think it is a and could be a pretty good rivalry. I also think PSU should play WVU on a regular basis. Schedule Pitt for a 2 for 1 or home at home for a cycle and then WVU for a cycle.

Pitt won't accept a 2 and 1 out of pride. But really they should -- the financial impact of that game is huge for them, and I think PSU would take the deal -- even though it would mean PSU could only play a high-level non-conference opponent every other year.

Another solution would be to get the Big Ten to release one game back to its teams to allow them another non-conference game.

I could totally live with only two cross-division opponents each year, especially since the conf. championship game is a cross-division matchup of top teams. You'd reduce by 33% the chance of those rematch games that everybody hates. Playing Wisconsin and Iowa is great, but only once per season, please.

Reactions: sammyk
And the National Championship is a bigger draw! Yes, we don't want all games to be tough as we do need some games to get new freshmen or 1st year players ready for the tougher teams. That is the only reason we might have wanted to keep Pitt on the schedule...as a tune up for the B1G games.

And there are years when the team will start off as a very unfinished product. Like 2016. And an early close game or loss would keep a team that finished as a powerhouse out of the playoffs.

For the most part, relying on a strength of schedule resulting from the B10 East and an undefeated record will result in a spot in the playoff...

The Lair continues to spew vitriol at coaches,players,fans alumni PAST and PRESENT. Guess what? They bit the hand that fed them! Good luck with football gate revenue.

Pitt is a better match up than Akron come on now. I know we all are down in Pitt but comparing them to Akron is a little much.

I'm starting to wonder if or when we will schedule pitt again. There is no reason to other than the historical perspective.

Those in favor of scheduling Pitt: Why would you schedule a team (Pitt) on a home and home basis who makes Penn State fans to buy their season ticket package in order to get a ticket to the Pitt home game against Penn State??? Let's just have Penn State fans subsidize their program since they cannot fill Heinz Field for any other games.
Perhaps they could schedule the opera for half time?

LOL I know this off topic but I had to copy this from the liar...

SempleFest06Walk-on
NewThe nice thing about recruits from FL, CA, and TX is a lot of times they don't know about our dirty little secret which is the lack of attendance and general apathy surrounding the program that seems to be hurting us with recruits in PA and our surrounding regions. They might only know that Pitt is in a cool city, play/practice where the Steelers do, and have cool uniforms. From there you can continue to sell all the other positives. Duzz does a great job if he can get kids interested enough to take official visits, regardless of where they are from.

23 27 minutes ago

LOL I know this off topic but I had to copy this from the liar...

SempleFest06Walk-on
NewThe nice thing about recruits from FL, CA, and TX is a lot of times they don't know about our dirty little secret which is the lack of attendance and general apathy surrounding the program that seems to be hurting us with recruits in PA and our surrounding regions. They might only know that Pitt is in a cool city, play/practice where the Steelers do, and have cool uniforms. From there you can continue to sell all the other positives. Duzz does a great job if he can get kids interested enough to take official visits, regardless of where they are from.

23 27 minutes ago
So, the secret is for Pitt to recruit players from thousands of miles away from Pittsburgh, make sure they know nothing about Pitt except that Pitt shares a stadium and practice facilitiy with the Steelers, somehow make sure the prospective recruits never watch a Pitt game on TV to see the pathetic attendance and also don't let them do official visits during game day for the same reason.

That is absolute genius. I think it's called the "catfishing" recruiting philosophy. I'm stunned that they don't have top 5 classes yearly. :)

Reactions: psute and john4psu
So, the secret is for Pitt to recruit players from thousands of miles away from Pittsburgh, make sure they know nothing about Pitt except that Pitt shares a stadium and practice facilitiy with the Steelers, somehow make sure the prospective recruits never watch a Pitt game on TV to see the pathetic attendance and also don't let them do official visits during game day for the same reason.

That is absolute genius. I think it's called the "catfishing" recruiting philosophy. I'm stunned that they don't have top 5 classes yearly. :)
I want to know how they explain all the fans dressed as yellow seats:D

Reactions: psute
Pitt is a better match up than Akron come on now. I know we all are down in Pitt but comparing them to Akron is a little much.
In the past three seasons, both Akron and Pitt have gone to two bowl games. Akron was 1-1. Pitt was 0-2. They played each other in 2014 and 2015 and split the series.

I have to admit the Pitt twitter, messageboard, and media have been thoroughly amusing lately. Their inability to understand simple logic combined with the delusion of the stretch of 1975-1983 being the norm has been comical to say the least

They have talked themselves into having this nightmare of a schedule while playing in the ACC coastal. They fail to realize Penn State plays just as many power 5 games as they do but against more difficult teams. One thing makes Penn States schedule easier than it should be right now and that is Pitt on it.

Pitt is Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern. They are not a team you schedule yearly and lock in. They are fading further and further into the past while thinking the future is just around the corner

I prefer Auburn and Va. Tech to Pitt.

Correct. The debate isn't MAC vs Pitt. It's a real opponent vs Pitt. If Pitt wants to play only at Penn State we'd take them. Hell, we'd probably do it if they gave us 2 for 1 but they won't. Pitt isn't the type of team that should be getting a 1 and 1 deal from us

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Correct. The debate isn't MAC vs Pitt. It's a real opponent vs Pitt. If Pitt wants to play only at Penn State we'd take them. Hell, we'd probably do it if they gave us 2 for 1 but they won't. Pitt isn't the type of team that should be getting a 1 and 1 deal from us

Pitt can get 1 and 1 from Penn State every 20 or 30 years.

And if that loss was to a good team not Pitt we probably would have been fine. Or if we were competitive against Michigan
A loss almost always hurts you! Go undefeated and you are almost always in the playoffs! Its as simple as that.

ADVERTISEMENT