ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL X IN STATE COLLEGE

tabenn

Feb 13, 2017
Lock Haven PA
I had an opportunity to talk with coach Cody at an event recently. We spoke of the Final X in State College in June. It seems that ticket sales are a little slow. The first 1000 tickets went in like 30 minutes then tailed off. Cael and the staff are trying to get the Olympic trials in State College- I would think that if we sell out for Final X event it would go a long way in getting the trials here.

Ticket prices are a little steep, but if you can buy tickets--we cant just say PA is the heart of wrestling country we need to prove it with support of all events.

If we build it- they will come kinda deal----just MOP

Thanks!

I had an opportunity to talk with coach Cody at an event recently. We spoke of the Final X in State College in June. It seems that ticket sales are a little slow. The first 1000 tickets went in like 30 minutes then tailed off. Cael and the staff are trying to get the Olympic trials in State College- I would think that if we sell out for Final X event it would go a long way in getting the trials here.

Ticket prices are a little steep, but if you can buy tickets--we cant just say PA is the heart of wrestling country we need to prove it with support of all events.

If we build it- they will come kinda deal----just MOP

Thanks!

I live 4.5 hrs away so it means hotel etc for me. How much are tix?

I saw the 1992 trials at Duquesne. It remains the single best wrestling event I have ever attended (although this past season's dual with Ohio State may have topped it - but that took over 25 years). It's worth a splurge, imo. But Annieat285 and I drove over 3 hours each way and stayed overnight at a hotel for that, also. :D

Reactions: tabenn
Of PSU Wrestling fans I've talked with, some that are going, and many that are not...generally, expense is one thing, though the lack of interest in freestyle is more notable. Very few ex-Penn State guys involved, so there's that too. I'll be there.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
The sales are still probably dwarfing Lehigh's sale figures for the following week.

I know this may be ripped by a few, but here goes:

Although I have interest in and follow - to some extent - women's wresting, I am certainly not at the point where I am going out of the way to attend it or spend money to watch. Kind of like greco, which doesn't apply here.

Asking me to purchase tickets and attend this is asking me to spend hundreds of dollars. The draw of Taylor and Dake (chosen to draw interest at State College) wrestling for about 20 minutes doesn't really cut it, especially given the alternative of watching it live at home.

The entire trials is at State College and I'm in. Marry it with the womens trials and I'll likely attend a little of that while I'm there.

I feel like this will be a boon in terms of eyeballs watching, but a minus in terms of live attendance. I'll be watching quite a bit of the trials and all the Final X series. If it's all together that is a huge chunk of the weekend to devote to watching.

I'm pretty sure this will be a win for Flo. A win for wrestling? Maybe, if the increase in eyeballs is enough. TBD

Reactions: smealpsu2005
It's a shame that the students aren't around, and that they couldn't get tix for cheaper--that might help. I agree w/ Roar--Lotta folks I talk to are also not super into Freestyle. I get it--I sure prefer folk as a fan. But free has grown on me, for sure, the more I invest in it, the more I appreciate what it brings to the table. Still hate how 1 subjective call can swing a match 8/10 points, but I love how much potential for big scores there are too.

Still $60/per, plus gas and a hotel, you gotta love it to want it. I'm glad I live here, and got great group tickets with friends and family. Would love to see a full Rec, but that might not be plausible. I wonder how ticket revenue is shared amongst the parties.

$60 to only see 3 of the 10 weights. That’s a bit steep. I can see why ticket sales are slow. Is it just me, or are the other two locations cheaper? I’ll be there because I’ve never been to a FS event. Looking forward to seeing DT work some magic for Rec Hall.
Now a full tournament, I’d be all in.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
I know this may be ripped by a few, but here goes:

Although I have interest in and follow - to some extent - women's wresting, I am certainly not at the point where I am going out of the way to attend it or spend money to watch. Kind of like greco, which doesn't apply here.

Asking me to purchase tickets and attend this is asking me to spend hundreds of dollars. The draw of Taylor and Dake (chosen to draw interest at State College) wrestling for about 20 minutes doesn't really cut it, especially given the alternative of watching it live at home.

The entire trials is at State College and I'm in. Marry it with the womens trials and I'll likely attend a little of that while I'm there.

I feel like this will be a boon in terms of eyeballs watching, but a minus in terms of live attendance. I'll be watching quite a bit of the trials and all the Final X series. If it's all together that is a huge chunk of the weekend to devote to watching.

I'm pretty sure this will be a win for Flo. A win for wrestling? Maybe, if the increase in eyeballs is enough. TBD
Dice, I attended worlds in Vegas with Goldbanger and felt the same. After seeing a female beast from Findland Olli win silver with one eye swollen shut and the technique I’m convinced they are awesome athletes.

Last edited:
Not a freestyle fan at all.. I absolutely feel it is over priced.. HOWEVER.. I am local and have never been to a free style, national level match so I figured what the heck... I do hope we get a decent crowd..

Reactions: lionlover
$90 for VIP $63 for lower level and I think $30 for uppers---that far of a drive--I dont really blame you.

I just got an email about the employee discounted seats, which is $38 for upper level seats.

I just got an email about the employee discounted seats, which is $38 for upper level seats.
Just received an email offering a free upgrade from GA to reserved seating for Final X Bethlehem. I'm now in the 7th row, center mat. Something tells me ticket sales aren't going as expected.

Both N and S 2-4 are sold out. Each of those sections holds ~312, if I'm not mistaken. That's 1872. N3 and S3 upper are almost done, so call that another 400. N2, N4, S2, S4 are about 1/4 full, so another 200. Plus all of the floor seats, which it looks like there are a lot, are all sold out.

I'm going to put our crowd at 3,000, minimum, when all is said and done.

Did I read somewhere that Final X will include true 3rd matches? If so, it looks like we'll be getting a PD3 undercard folks... Hope that doesn't discourage anyone from buying a ticket!

Did I read somewhere that Final X will include true 3rd matches? If so, it looks like we'll be getting a PD3 undercard folks... Hope that doesn't discourage anyone from buying a ticket!
Fathers, hide your daughters. And, Baltimore is only 3.5 hours from SC. That means PD2 should be in the house, also. Husbands, hide your wives.

Fathers, hide your daughters. And, Baltimore is only 3.5 hours from SC. That means PD2 should be in the house, also. Husbands, hide your wives.
Ok, but who the hell is guarding the liquor and asking for a friend here where should the baggies go for safe keeping?

Reactions: diggerpup
Already confirmed. Actually looking forward to the whole day...it'll be entertaining.

does that mean varner vs steveson in bethlehem?
I think it'd be Varner vs. Nelson--but it does seem like something is missing in the bracket--Steveson never made it to the consi bracket--but Nelson did already beat him.

Reactions: psumacw
Just received an email offering a free upgrade from GA to reserved seating for Final X Bethlehem. I'm now in the 7th row, center mat. Something tells me ticket sales aren't going as expected.

And now it's moved from Stabler to Grace Hall.

Bottom line...Our fans must take over Rec Hall....That will take Reenans crowd out of it and Taylor will win by at least 5 ....Hope we have a HUGE PSU Crowd that's very loud ! This guys will see and hear our support ! LETS GO STATE ! A guy from work just bought 12 tickets and I already have 17 center mat. OH Yeah baby!!!! Ready to ROCK!!!!

Bottom line...Our fans must take over Rec Hall....That will take Reenans crowd out of it and Taylor will win by at least 5 ....Hope we have a HUGE PSU Crowd that's very loud ! This guys will see and hear our support ! LETS GO STATE ! A guy from work just bought 12 tickets and I already have 17 center mat. OH Yeah baby!!!! Ready to ROCK!!!!

Ugh....:confused::rolleyes:o_O

Sweet, see you there. What section you and your 16 “friends” in?

Reactions: tgar
Sweet, see you there. What section you and your 16 “friends” in?
Just look for the invisible man-he will be speeding back and forth from the hockey game, after staying with his cousin in OKC. His 16 friends will all be wearing tshirts with this picture on it in his honor;
34400271_2179158325646618_481106555572322304_n.jpg

Reactions: jschrantz

I bought my ticket and booked my room yesterday. Thanks for saving space for me.

I know we're all thinking (or at least hoping) this is gonna be a coronation for DT, but what's the Intel on young Reenan? Anyone seen much film? I have not. Just one of the Perry matches.

Edit: Forgot Bo majored him at the scuffle.
Wrestlestat profile

Last edited:
Mistake or breaking news? I'm guessing mistake

Definitely a mistake. The article also says Reenan was an AA for NC State, which is news to me.

Checked and he qualified for NCAAs as a true frosh in 2017 and went 0-2. Redshirted last season.

Just did another quick count.

~2800 in the stands, only
That does not include floor seating, where there are four sold out sections.
That also does not include the East stands, which are showing no seats available. I'm thinking they must not be selling any seats in those sections. Can anyone shed any light?

Anyway, I'm now increasing my estimation of game day crowd size to 3500+.

Just did another quick count.

~2800 in the stands, only
That does not include floor seating, where there are four sold out sections.
That also does not include the East stands, which are showing no seats available. I'm thinking they must not be selling any seats in those sections. Can anyone shed any light?

Anyway, I'm now increasing my estimation of game day crowd size to 3500+.
That's not terrible. I wondered if they might hang curtains or something on the ends to make it seem fuller. All the same, I bet if they do final x next year, tickets will be a bit cheaper.

ADVERTISEMENT