ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Run D vs. Arkansas

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
OUTBACK BOWL FILM STUDY

Or lack thereof, I guess. See Link. On one hand, this is probably what you'd expect considering half the defense peaced out, leaving an interim DC to figure things out on the fly. On the other, it was troubling to see how many of these clips involved Luketa (a senior) at LB overrunning his gap or simply not triggering downhill, like on the Jefferson TD in the 3rd quarter.

Reactions: brupsu
OUTBACK BOWL FILM STUDY

Or lack thereof, I guess. See Link. On one hand, this is probably what you'd expect considering half the defense peaced out, leaving an interim DC to figure things out on the fly. On the other, it was troubling to see how many of these clips involved Luketa (a senior) at LB overrunning his gap or simply not triggering downhill, like on the Jefferson TD in the 3rd quarter.
Luketa had a good year @ de not lb

Wow, Luketa is a really bad LB. I hope the next level gives him the chance at edge.
Another year would have really helped him. But I don’t know his personal situation so if he thinks the time is right....the time is right.

But watching film you can see how a small mistake results in a huge difference. One step in the wrong direction, one missed tackle, one broken assignment. And with an interim DC and five best d players sitting out...not the best recipe for success.

Another year would have really helped him. But I don’t know his personal situation so if he thinks the time is right....the time is right.

But watching film you can see how a small mistake results in a huge difference. One step in the wrong direction, one missed tackle, one broken assignment. And with an interim DC and five best d players sitting out...not the best recipe for success.
Agreed...and when you look at the guys that sat out there were 3 DL, two LB and a Safety. It is amazing to me that Ark didn't exploit the middle earlier..but when they did it was just a matter of how many points they wanted to score. They were nice to not run it up late in the game.

On the PSU side, the O was pretty awful with the exception of #3. SC was erratic.. one-minute gliding in the pocket and making a good throw...the next he was overthrowing a wide-open receiver. He looked like he had the yips from the lack of pass blocking. The lack of pass blocking stems from not having a running game. Ark was free to blitz and stunt their way the entire game.

Any word on SC's injury?

Agreed...and when you look at the guys that sat out there were 3 DL, two LB and a Safety. It is amazing to me that Ark didn't exploit the middle earlier..but when they did it was just a matter of how many points they wanted to score. They were nice to not run it up late in the game.

On the PSU side, the O was pretty awful with the exception of #3. SC was erratic.. one-minute gliding in the pocket and making a good throw...the next he was overthrowing a wide-open receiver. He looked like he had the yips from the lack of pass blocking. The lack of pass blocking stems from not having a running game. Ark was free to blitz and stunt their way the entire game.

Any word on SC's injury?
Whatever it was it didn't keep him from throwing a bonehead INT into Arkansas' end zone.

SC is now shell shocked in the pocket. For PSU to move on and move up they have to fix every aspect of the oline from technique to strategy. It has been an issue since Franklin arrived on campus. Only time it wasn't, it was masked by Trace and Barkley. I am really starting to think the strategy is more the problem than technique. A few years back we had 3, maybe 4 pro lineman on the team and still had some struggles in this area.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Any word on SC's injury?
He has the yips

Reactions: ram2020

Any word on SC's injury?
I think the O was better than you give credit. Cain and Lee had some good runs going to the left in teh first half but once Ark took the lead they started throwing every down. Fashanu and Tengwall were solid, better than previous guys in those spots at least. If CV plays this game at QB I think PSU wins.

SC is now shell shocked in the pocket. For PSU to move on and move up they have to fix every aspect of the oline from technique to strategy. It has been an issue since Franklin arrived on campus. Only time it wasn't, it was masked by Trace and Barkley. I am really starting to think the strategy is more the problem than technique. A few years back we had 3, maybe 4 pro lineman on the team and still had some struggles in this area.
The problem remains the same with SC...once he takes a few hits, he goes into "shell shock" mode. Other teams have figured this out and they game plan accordingly. If there were a fix for it, it would have been fixed already. Which is why they need to move on from Cliff, maybe take some inexperience hits early next season, but build for the future rather than bank on a problematic past.

Reactions: royboy
I think the O was better than you give credit. Cain and Lee had some good runs going to the left in teh first half but once Ark took the lead they started throwing every down. Fashanu and Tengwall were solid, better than previous guys in those spots at least. If CV plays this game at QB I think PSU wins.
Fair enough but

14/32 passing for 195 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs
125 total yards rushing, 4.5 YPR

I do wonder if we gave up on the running game too soon. We use a lot of plays on "chunk plays" and that really hurts drives. Also, to be noted, we turned it over in the red zone and missed a FG. So we easily left 10 points on the field.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13
A good friend of mine who is a coach in the wcac league raved about veilleux. He honestly couldn't believe that he wasn't able to beat out Clifford other than for the experience Factor. Would have been nice if he didn't get in trouble in the preseason and maybe had a shot to play against Iowa and Illinois

A good friend of mine who is a coach in the wcac league raved about veilleux. He honestly couldn't believe that he wasn't able to beat out Clifford other than for the experience Factor. Would have been nice if he didn't get in trouble in the preseason and maybe had a shot to play against Iowa and Illinois
he's looked good when he's played.

SC is a gutsy competitor but at times I think he holds the record for missing the most open receivers in CFB history. Yet his completion percentage is artificially high because we throw our 2 yd wide receiver screen ten times a game.

OUTBACK BOWL FILM STUDY

I'm confused. Was this game a glorified scrimmage so we might as well throw CV in there to see how he did or are we seriously disappointed in our game plan, tackling, play calling, etc? People are all over the board on this.

I’m beginning to think CV is going to end up being a better QB than Clifford. I hope he gets a shot to compete in 2022. He appears to have a Sunday arm and decent speed when he needs to run.

Like every QB that has played at Penn State(Hack, Trace, Cliff) under Franklins System(Run around like a chicken with your head cut off, throw bombs, and there will be plenty of QB draws and plays for you to get abused) they get worse with experience and they get injured. Its empirically true.

Like every QB that has played at Penn State(Hack, Trace, Cliff) under Franklins System(Run around like a chicken with your head cut off, throw bombs, and there will be plenty of QB draws and plays for you to get abused) they get worse with experience and they get injured. Its empirically true.
That’s why the Yurcich hire was such big news. The O already looks different and hope the second year will see big improvements. No doubt the offense style and philosophy was a major point of discussion during the hiring process.

ADVERTISEMENT