ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - PSU Run Game vs. Auburn

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
FILM STUDY PSU RUN GAME

As always, see link. Delved into Penn State's philosophical switch from predominantly zone scheme rushing attack to an even mix of zone and gap scheme run this season...gap scheme concepts like DUO. We'll do a long DUO tutorial in the future because the assignments and responsibilities for the OL and the reads for the RB are totally different from zone. But I was curious if these second-level RB reads in gap schemes like DUO are easier for young RBs than the first-level DT or DE reads in inside and outside zone...so I asked him after he sent and he said "No, not really." Codutti said the move to things like DUO make for easier double teams for linemen to execute than double teams in zone. So it's tailored to aid the OL more than the young RBs.

very interesting........very long in wanting to see this type of offense.

I would like to nominate this for a Short Film Oscar. I laughed.....I cried.......it was beautiful and the ending was superb!!

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
FILM STUDY PSU RUN GAME

As always, see link. Delved into Penn State's philosophical switch from predominantly zone scheme rushing attack to an even mix of zone and gap scheme run this season...gap scheme concepts like DUO. We'll do a long DUO tutorial in the future because the assignments and responsibilities for the OL and the reads for the RB are totally different from zone. But I was curious if these second-level RB reads in gap schemes like DUO are easier for young RBs than the first-level DT or DE reads in inside and outside zone...so I asked him after he sent and he said "No, not really." Codutti said the move to things like DUO make for easier double teams for linemen to execute than double teams in zone. So it's tailored to aid the OL more than the young RBs.
that was very interesting. Also note the several formations PSU used. Most notable to me is under center as well as in the shotgun. On one of Singleton's long runs, he lines up 8 yards behind the LOS with the QB under center. He had a big head of steam by the time he hit the LOS.

I recall, back when USC had all of those heisman RBs they simply lined up a RB 8 yards deep and pitched him the ball. The line simply pushed their guy in whatever direction the DLman tried to go. This opened up a natural hole someplace and the RB picked that hole. They ran it again and again and again. Hard to stop. Even if the DL and OL neutralized, the RB would push the two of them back two or three yards to stay on or ahead of the chains.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Goodness. How long has it been since Penn state ran a counter toss? I feel like I haven’t seen that play since the 90’s. It was beautiful to see
I had been screaming for counter plays since the Barkley days. The entire D would chase after him and any counter was a sure twenty yard gainer, minimum. Look at the second play against Michigan where he made a huge jump cut to the left and was basically a one man counter. Went for a 57 yd TD.

Reactions: mnuccio2 and fkkkjm
ADVERTISEMENT