ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - PSU D vs. Indiana

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU D vs. IU FILM STUDY

Fairly cut and dry this week. Complementary football - DL and occasional blitzers never let Penix/Tuttle get comfortable while the secondary didn't provide very many easy outlets underneath or downfield (sans TCF getting burnt on a double move). I know Clifford's improvement from last year to this year has received a bunch of attention (and rightfully so) but the complete turnaround Pry has orchestrated on defense can't be ignored...or at least it shouldn't be ignored. If any coach on Penn State's current staff is gonna be a head coach somewhere else next season it's probably gonna be Pry, not James.

Last edited:
The defense is playing really good football. QBs are rushing their reads, throwing less than good passes to avoid sacks. The gap integrity on the blitz's is very nice as well. Penix was unable to run and Tuttle got up and out of the pocket once.

Worst plays I remember was the TE coming across for a big gainer and TCF biting on a double move, but he recovered well.

Reactions: BBrown
hmmm looks to me it depends on who is breaking down the film, T Frank above says this is cover 2 (which looks right) but for the Bloggy says its man with a banjo, which I do not think it is, FWIW. It would be nice to see the game film as opposed to the TV broadcast, let alone the call sheet. No biggie glad they are playing well
From T Frank post above...which is the first or second play on this break down. 2 different answers you choose

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Very interesting to see the really tight man coverage, I've always hated how soft these guys play. Is it because he can finally trust the secondary or does Indiana just totally lack an aerial threat?

Very interesting to see the really tight man coverage, I've always hated how soft these guys play. Is it because he can finally trust the secondary or does Indiana just totally lack an aerial threat?

I think it's a combination of things:

1) CBs are not getting beat when put on an island. They are generating PBUs, they are making solid tackles.

2) safety's are not a liability in pass coverage as they have been in the past. They can man up and they can cover ground and make plays in zone.

3) LBs aren't getting killed in the run game to the point where you have to make one safety essentially a 4th LB.

The coverage seems to loosen and tighten based on opponent as well schematically, but Pry seems to trust this group of defenders to do almost anything.

We have a very experienced secondary. They understand Pry’s system much better now and work well with each other. I also believe that Pry understands his players better and adjusted his system to match their skill sets.

The last couple years there were times that opposing receivers so wide open you couldn’t tell who was responsible for the coverage. Rarely see that now.

Reactions: lazydave841
I don't watch these as I can see the game with my own eyes and see where things need to improve. I can boil the offense down to one item that if it improves, a lot will improve. Sean needs to see the relief receiver and utilize them. I have been watching this for the last few weeks. I believe James mentioned this in the post game this week too. If they are going to give you the relief guy 10 times in around, throw to him 10 times. Sure they likely won't be explosive plays but it will mean first downs. Put the defense in conflict. Force them to account for this guy. That means some must come off someone in the tree.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT