ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study: PSU D Dashing Through The Snow vs. Sparty

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU D vs. MSU FILM STUDY

See Link. Did the snow hamper Penn State D's on Saturday? Well, yeah, sure. But that can't excuse all the shoddy tackling. Pass Rush I get. Coverage Issues I get. But tackling should be easier in the snow, shouldn't it? Less moves to worry about from the offensive player, less leg drive. For instance, the 4th and 3 zone read by Thorne...on the replay it appears TCF has a chance to tackle the QB a good yard short of the line to gain but instead of opening his arms and tackling he just throws a weak shoulder into Thorne that does nothing -- similar to Brandon Smith's shoulder on that 3rd down screen to Haskins vs. Michigan on the Wolverines first TD drive.

PSU D vs. MSU FILM STUDY

See Link. Did the snow hamper Penn State D's on Saturday? Well, yeah, sure. But that can't excuse all the shoddy tackling. Pass Rush I get. Coverage Issues I get. But tackling should be easier in the snow, shouldn't it? Less moves to worry about from the offensive player, less leg drive. For instance, the 4th and 3 zone read by Thorne...on the replay it appears TCF has a chance to tackle the QB a good yard short of the line to gain but instead of opening his arms and tackling he just throws a weak shoulder into Thorne that does nothing -- similar to Brandon Smith's shoulder on that 3rd down screen to Haskins vs. Michigan on the Wolverines first TD drive.

Yes and No. Wonder how many of these guys ever played on snow? The footing changes...cuts typically are less sharp defense needs to be more conscious not to over or under pursue...simply play in a more controlled or methodic space and manner.

Reactions: ram2020
ADVERTISEMENT