ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Penn State Left Tackle Olu Fashanu

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
OLU FASHANU FTB FILM STUDY

Fashanu's start at the Outback Bowl gets put under the microscope. PFF graded him out super high as a pass protector, but Codutti (a former D-2 offensive tackle) found a couple minor things to critique while have plenty to compliment. My one question, though, is if their was a film study on Rasheed Walker from 2019 going in to 2020, would it basically be the same thing -- mostly good, with a few minor deductions? Just got to hope Fashanu finds a level of consistency this year and next that Walker just never really developed -- because from a strength, frame, and athleticism standpoint, both Walker and Fashanu have what the NFL is looking for.

Fashanu's start at the Outback Bowl gets put under the microscope. PFF graded him out super high as a pass protector, but Codutti (a former D-2 offensive tackle) found a couple minor things to critique while have plenty to compliment. My one question, though, is if their was a film study on Rasheed Walker from 2019 going in to 2020, would it basically be the same thing -- mostly good, with a few minor deductions? Just got to hope Fashanu finds a level of consistency this year and next that Walker just never really developed -- because from a strength, frame, and athleticism standpoint, both Walker and Fashanu have what the NFL is looking for.

Walker is not Fashanu and Walkers senior year he was plagued with minor injuries. Also, OL do not block on a island.
As soon, if Clifford ever reads the open border passes and executes...the OTs will not be hung out to dry.

Reactions: royboy
The interesting thing about Olu starting vs Arkansas is that he played so good that it makes one wonder what was going on the entire year.

Was Walker hurt?

Was Olu hurt?

Was JF afraid of damaging Walkers draft position?

If no injury at all, why didn't we move Waker to RT, Caden to RG, and let Olu man LT?

The most notable thing to me in the entire breakdown: Olu is our fastest linemen out of his stance at the snap by far.

Thank you as always.

The interesting thing about Olu starting vs Arkansas is that he played so good that it makes one wonder what was going on the entire year.

Was Walker hurt?

Was Olu hurt?

If no injury at all, why didn't we move Waker to RT, Caden to RG, and let Olu man LT?

The most notable thing to me in the entire breakdown: Olu is our fastest linemen out of his stance at the snap by far.

Thank you

Was Walker hurt?

Was Olu hurt?

Thank you as always.
From all I have read and heard from the coaching staff...Olu was hurt early on...Walker had nagging injuries mid season on...
If all were healthy... your suggestion if implemented is quite thought provoking.

Reactions: lazydave841
The last two plays shows his smarts and ability to read, adapt, and react. On the stunt he quickly read the play and switched to the lineman that stunted outside. The last play it looks like his assignment was to go block the linebacker but the LB flew himself out of the play so Fashanu held back to screen out the DE. It wasn’t designed that way because no O lineman would ever try to block a guy with his back to him. Good stuff.

Reactions: lazydave841
It's great when a PSU player is rewarded for hard work and finds a place in the NFL. But I can't see looking too far ahead with PSU olinemen. There have been some PSU olinemen drafted even after the years when the PSU performed at a pretty low level as a whole. PSU needs Fashanu to jell with the other olinemen and find what Trautwein is looking for.....

I honestly believe our OL coach does a better coaching up 3* kids. Look what he did at Boston College. Generally speaking less physically gifted kids have a desire to learn and put more effort forth. I’ve coached HS wrestling for 7 plus years. The more physically gifted the kid, the less likely he was to practice hard or want to learn new moves. Every few years we’d get a kid that was physically gifted with a desire to learn a practice hard. Those were the kids that ended up placing at states.

Based off of the changes in recruiting with NIL and the kids from the south who are decommitting, I wouldn’t mind some overall lower team recruiting rankings by taking a few more blue-collar hardnosed kids like Joe used to get.

I’m not saying to take a whole recruiting class full of them but these are kids that know they’re gonna red shirt as freshman and then maybe buy the time they are a redshirt Junior they’re ready to contribute.
The run on OL Fitzgerald from down here in MD is a kid who I think could help down the road, played high level competition in hs

I honestly believe our OL coach does a better coaching up 3* kids. Look what he did at Boston College. Generally speaking less physically gifted kids have a desire to learn and put more effort forth. I’ve coached HS wrestling for 7 plus years. The more physically gifted the kid, the less likely he was to practice hard or want to learn new moves. Every few years we’d get a kid that was physically gifted with a desire to learn a practice hard. Those were the kids that ended up placing at states.
Which is why great players often are lousy coaches.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT