ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Penn State Defense's Finest Hour

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
VIDEO PSU D vs. WISC

See link. Video host talks a lot about how Penn State has already corrected a lot of the issues that plagued them last year -- fitting run gaps, getting home on blitzes. I still don't like how deep/soft Pry plays a lot of these coverages when he sends extra guys on pressure. The video shows two examples of Penn State playing tight man coverage on blitzes and they were both incomplete passes. Is it a trust issue? Or does Pry just do what he does not matter how good his corners are?

Thanks for sharing. That was cool to watch. The question about Pry and the corners is one I've asked myself many times. Perhaps it's just a part of a conservative bend but don't break philosophy that was not successful last season because of our inability to get a solid pass rush and/or to pressure the QB consistently. With AK leading the way this season, that could be a different story. My own personal preference would be to be a bit more aggressive with the talented CBs we have, but I'm not a coach.

CJF always wants to win the battle of explosive plays and turnovers. Perhaps that is why they don't go full jailbreak on the blitzes (minimize the opponent's opportunities for explosive plays).

Reactions: Sharkies
VIDEO PSU D vs. WISC

See link. Video host talks a lot about how Penn State has already corrected a lot of the issues that plagued them last year -- fitting run gaps, getting home on blitzes. I still don't like how deep/soft Pry plays a lot of these coverages when he sends extra guys on pressure. The video shows two examples of Penn State playing tight man coverage on blitzes and they were both incomplete passes. Is it a trust issue? Or does Pry just do what he does not matter how good his corners are?
Thanks for posting. Great fun to watch. Three thoughts. First, my only beef is that almost all of these plays highlighted are 3rd or 4th downs. The meaning is that W has to make the sticks or goal. So with the "stick and nod", the "stick" is meaningless. Making 4 yards of 4th and 7 is meaningless. Secondly, it is always an eye-opener to see how complex these defensive calls are. Haivng a a spring and fall camp, as we didn't last year, was very valuable. Finally, we have the athletes this year on defense. Amazing how much better our LB and S play was compared to last year vs Indy.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that on several of Wisconsin's longer runs, Ellis Brooks took himself out of the play with some very aggressive (and poorly timed) pass drops?

I am at a loss. Any theories on what he was keying on to run himself out those plays? It wasn't Ferguson. He stayed into block.

Throw in a blocked FG for good measure. Amazing performance.
I saw the halftime show during the afternoon game and the announcers clearly didn't see the game. They talked about how W and PSU's offenses were inept and error-prone and stated that Wisconsin "missed" a FG instead of it being blocked. while the offenses were nothing to write home about, it was because the defenses played so well. Then, different crew, but I watched the Clemson GA game and the crew gushed about how great the defenses were. Can't win, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT