ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Observations on 3 Young QBs this spring

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
YOUNG PSU QBs FILM STUDY

Not a ton of meat on the bone thanks to the weak format of the B-W Game, but I did find Codutti's note on Allar's footwork to be interesting. I read/saw that private QB coach ironed out a lot of Allar's mechanical issues during the pandemic between his sophomore and junior seasons of high school. Wonder if there's still a ways to go in that department or whether you just chalk this up to him being excited/nervous? It's also probably dumb to draw conclusions from a glorified practice too...yet here we are.

Reactions: psualt
YOUNG PSU QBs FILM STUDY

Not a ton of meat on the bone thanks to the weak format of the B-W Game, but I did find Codutti's note on Allar's footwork to be interesting. I read/saw that private QB coach ironed out a lot of Allar's mechanical issues during the pandemic between his sophomore and junior seasons of high school. Wonder if there's still a ways to go in that department or whether you just chalk this up to him being excited/nervous? It's also probably dumb to draw conclusions from a glorified practice too...yet here we are.
I watched one of Allar's high school games. I was impressed with his poise as he ran through his progressions. Of course that's a lot more difficult when the defense has more speed. I suspect he just needs time to adjust.

YOUNG PSU QBs FILM STUDY

As you stated, it was hard to get a bead on anyone based on the fact that there was no DL to play against. What I did see is that Allar has a major league arm. Something that cannot be taught. At one point, he was looking to his left and then looked back to the right. He saw someone open in the back corner and flicked the ball. He overthrew the receiver, but threw the ball on a rope from his back foot, facing the wrong way, 35 yards. Most of his throws were behind the WR but I am willing to bet that is a combo of getting used to the college speed + a tad bit faster than a normal practice being in front of 40k+ viewers.

Other than that, I saw that Pribula looked better but clearly doesn't have the physical tools that Allar does. But, as we all know, QB is much more about field leadership, presence, and the ability to process information instantaneously. A strong arm is a plus but only after the intangibles are achieved. Both are still looking at maps to find their next classes so....

I do like Veilleux and feel we are in better shape, depth-wise, than we were last year (assuming he doesn't leave).

ADVERTISEMENT