ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Manny Diaz's Use of Split-Field Coverage

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
FILM STUDY - DIAZ COVERAGE CONCEPTS

See Link. Wanted to introduce Diaz's split-field coverages at Miami -- running two different coverages on each side of the field -- and how he disguises those looks to create hesitation and confusion from the opposing QB. On the surface, after looking at Diaz's pressure packages and now the games he plays in the secondary, it seems his defense (when he's got the right guys) is ultra aggressive, more proactive than reactive compared to Pry. Whether Franklin lets Diaz be that same level of aggressive with a young defense at Penn State is anyone's guess, of course. I, for one, am just hoping Franklin gets out of the way and allows Diaz to do his thing.

FILM STUDY - DIAZ COVERAGE CONCEPTS

See Link. Wanted to introduce Diaz's split-field coverages at Miami -- running two different coverages on each side of the field -- and how he disguises those looks to create hesitation and confusion from the opposing QB. On the surface, after looking at Diaz's pressure packages and now the games he plays in the secondary, it seems his defense (when he's got the right guys) is ultra aggressive, more proactive than reactive compared to Pry. Whether Franklin lets Diaz be that same level of aggressive with a young defense at Penn State is anyone's guess, of course. I, for one, am just hoping Franklin gets out of the way and allows Diaz to do his thing.
Being unpredictable while not being your own worst enemy is the trick. I'm more than open to seeing something new....IMO, the past 2 coaching staffs have left a lot of potential in the sidelines, locker room, or inside the players....for the record, felt the previous long-term coach did the same, but he was up front about it.

Since joey porter is our most experienced corner, would he be asked to be that press-man corner to the boundary we see in a few plays im the vid, or would his expertise be better suited to play zone or match on the other side? What's more difficult for a corner?

Also, those all black Miami uniforms are gross

Reactions: bison13
Are these defensive concepts being incorporated without the tacit approval of the 5NCAC? This puts Diaz squarely on the hot seat!

Looks interesting but the plays are poor examples. One the D had some serious pass rush which helps a lot. Two, the QB made some bad reads. On the interception, either a terrible read by the QB or the receive ran the wrong route. At the 6:45 mark receiver on the top is wide open at the 15 yard line and the QB throws elsewhere. Next play, guy was open briefly deep.

The split coverage is interesting. When the D sets up they do not know how the O will set its receivers.......wide, tight, trips, which side unbalanced. So they guys really need to be on their game to read the formation and set up correctly.

Last edited:
It's a tool in the toolbox. We aren't even sure if it gets used a lot. Diaz has an interesting dynamic. First former HC to come in from P5 level and work under JF as a coordinator.

Something the video didn't go into, but would be interesting to know: is this something Manny did on all downs or was this a passing down type of defense?

It's a tool in the toolbox. We aren't even sure if it gets used a lot. Diaz has an interesting dynamic. First former HC to come in from P5 level and work under JF as a coordinator.

Something the video didn't go into, but would be interesting to know: is this something Manny did on all downs or was this a passing down type of defense?
So the split-field concept isn't unique to Diaz even though he uses it a lot. Really TCU's Gary Patterson brought the concept into prominence in the 2000s to combat the spread attacks TCU saw in C-USA, then the Mountain West and then later the Big 12 (TCU gets around lol). It's used a lot on obvious passing downs, yes, but also when the ball is placed on one of the hashes since the college hashes are so wide. Why play the same coverage from sideline to sideline when one side of the field is much larger than the other?

More recently, DCs use these concepts to combat RPO-heavy teams -- making "should I hand it off or should I throw it?" reads more difficult for opposing QBs. You kind of see that in action in the second play.

So the split-field concept isn't unique to Diaz even though he uses it a lot. Really TCU's Gary Patterson brought the concept into prominence in the 2000s to combat the spread attacks TCU saw in C-USA, then the Mountain West and then later the Big 12 (TCU gets around lol). It's used a lot on obvious passing downs, yes, but also when the ball is placed on one of the hashes since the college hashes are so wide. Why play the same coverage from sideline to sideline when one side of the field is much larger than the other?

More recently, DCs use these concepts to combat RPO-heavy teams -- making "should I hand it off or should I throw it?" reads more difficult for opposing QBs. You kind of see that in action in the second play.

Awesome information. Greatly appreciated.

In your opinion, do you think this is an easier install than Yurcich's wide zone? Based on Diaz tending to have really strong first years, it would seem that the install is not very difficult, but once the film is out on it teams adapt well.

That might be an overly simplistic thought on my part, but I think this could be among the most talent Diaz has had on a defensive unit in his career. I think that will make or break us more than anything. We have holes and areas that lack depth, but it's not like Manny's success was based on elite recruiting at the Alabama level.

Reactions: CaliLION79
Kind of apples and oranges to compare, but as it relates to Wide Zone I did ask the guy who does these videos for us (im one of the editors) when he sent us his 2021 run game issues vid last week if there was a huge learning curve from Penn State being a predominantly inside zone running team to now trying to do the things yurcich likes to do in the running game and he said "there shouldn't be" - which leads me to believe Yurcich/Traut simply didn't have the proper personnel to run Wide/Outside Zone last year and why Penn State has made OL a priority in recruiting in the last 12 months...to get the types of athletes to pull this scheme off. That's just me speculating.

Also, appreciate you and others in this thread watching our stuff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT