ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Drew Allar in Yurcich's Offense

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

See Link. Even as a high school kid, he looks like a designer-brand Mason Rudolph (I mean that as a compliment considering the numbers Rudolph put up with Yurcich at Okie State). The first half of the video was the most impressive to me. Yeah, he's big and has a Sunday arm already, but I didn't realize how surgical he is as a passer -- throwing guys open, trusting his receivers to be at the spot when the ball arrives. I don't know a lot about the Medina HS program, but he didn't look like he was throwing to D1 receivers. Guys were covered but he was able to throw into tight windows. Obviously today is a day for irrational hope and excitement, but Allar just looks like a can't-miss.

Reactions: psualt and berklion
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

See Link. Even as a high school kid, he looks like a designer-brand Mason Rudolph (I mean that as a compliment considering the numbers Rudolph put up with Yurcich at Okie State). The first half of the video was the most impressive to me. Yeah, he's big and has a Sunday arm already, but I didn't realize how surgical he is as a passer -- throwing guys open, trusting his receivers to be at the spot when the ball arrives. I don't know a lot about the Medina HS program, but he didn't look like he was throwing to D1 receivers. Guys were covered but he was able to throw into tight windows. Obviously today is a day for irrational hope and excitement, but Allar just looks like a can't-miss.
Medina has been a decent but middle of the road program. It is a fairly wealthy area (as it is the first exit off of I71 outside of the Cleveland home county, Cuyahoga. All first exits outside of major city/counties are the wealthiest as people flee the taxes). Medina beat everyone they played by a wide margin until they played eventual state champion, Cleveland/Lakewood St. Eds. St. Eds had an incredible defense with several kids accepting D1 ships today. They simply overwhelmed Medina at the LOS on both sides of the ball. Medina was ranked around 20 in NE Ohio and ended #2.

Bottom line is that this kid carried Medina for both his Jr and Sr years. I am told he grew a lot between his Jr and Sr seasons. I am also told that he was a tOSU "plan B" and that offended him and his family. They took an official to PSU and really loved CJF. They felt he was stable and trusted him. They decided to accept the PSU offer on the drive home. In fact, the parents discussed it when Drew was sleeping because they knew PSU was the place and wanted to make sure both parents were OK with that.

I am also told that tOSU didn't see that he was going to progress the way he did and mightily regret not pursuing him. They had Ewers, the kid from TX that just portaled out to TX. But tOSU loves hybrid QBs and while Allar can run, he is really a passer.

I watched the St. Eds game on film. Allar was incredible at avoiding the rush when the St. Eds kids were in the backfield before he could get back and set his feet. I think he was sacked or flushed 8 times. There are no guarantees with QBs coming out of HS but this kid is Hackenberg with more pocket presence and touch. he is the best QB recruit PSU has ever had by the rating services. So having the top RB and one of the top QBs in the same class? Unbelievable.

N7mp.gif

What impressed me most was how many different angles he can adjust his arm to make throws. Never seen a kid that drop his elbow/throw sidearm to avoid defenders like Allar. It's not something that can be taught, seems very natural to him. Also impressed with accuracy. He can put the a ball on a dime moving around in the pocket. Reads defenses very well. We need to get the OL turned around before allowing Allar to play. I don't want to see him beat around like Clifford.

What impressed me most was how many different angles he can adjust his arm to make throws. Never seen a kid that drop his elbow/throw sidearm to avoid defenders like Allar. It's not something that can be taught, seems very natural to him. Also impressed with accuracy. He can put the a ball on a dime moving around in the pocket. Reads defenses very well. We need to get the OL turned around before allowing Allar to play. I don't want to see him beat around like Clifford.
^^^one of the reasons why I am glad SC is coming back. He'll take the pressure off of our two young QBs and be an additional coach for them. SC will be starting for his fourth straight year. Kid is smart and determined so there is a lot to learn from him.

^^^one of the reasons why I am glad SC is coming back. He'll take the pressure off of our two young QBs and be an additional coach for them. SC will be starting for his fourth straight year. Kid is smart and determined so there is a lot to learn from him.
Clifford's return likely speeds up Allar's transition to college by 1-2 years. Clifford is a great QB to learn from on and off the field. Plus I think Clifford could put up good numbers in 2022. If we can run the ball next year Clifford will have a really good year. To be honest I've given up on our OL and OL coach. Trautwein has this group headed the wrong direction.

Reactions: Obliviax
Clifford's return likely speeds up Allar's transition to college by 1-2 years. Clifford is a great QB to learn from on and off the field. Plus I think Clifford could put up good numbers in 2022. If we can run the ball next year Clifford will have a really good year. To be honest I've given up on our OL and OL coach. Trautwein has this group headed the wrong direction.
SC played pretty well until he got hurt against Iowa. The key to SC is to stay injury free. I see lots of QBs stay healthy all year.

I am not giving up on our OL yet. We haven't had a good OL in several years. A lot of that has to do with the sanctions as one needs to be two-deep (ten players). We just haven't had that and an injury, a single injury, has really hurt us. Deep teams like tOSU and Um just plug a new player in.

SC played pretty well until he got hurt against Iowa. The key to SC is to stay injury free. I see lots of QBs stay healthy all year.

I am not giving up on our OL yet. We haven't had a good OL in several years. A lot of that has to do with the sanctions as one needs to be two-deep (ten players). We just haven't had that and an injury, a single injury, has really hurt us. Deep teams like tOSU and Um just plug a new player in.
I know people get sick of hearing about "sanctions". But you're dead on. The portal has only magnified the issue. Depth in college football in the coming years is going to be a real problem.

Reactions: Obliviax
I really liked his ability to slide out of pressure while keeping his eyes downfield.

We're usually on the same page Obli, but at this point I think we're a few years removed from using sanctions as an excuse.

The constant OL problems year in and year out are mind-boggling.

Assuming the CV sticks around...and Allar and Pribula progress well in the spring...we could see the coaches utilize Clifford with more running than he did this year.

We saw it with Daryl Clark in 2009. And Trace in 2017. And Clifford this year.

When the team doesn't have a decent 2nd string QB, it changes the way the 1st string plays and the way the coaches call the game.

If the coaches can trust CV or DA or even PB, then they will play freely with Clifford and not worry about injuries.

We're usually on the same page Obli, but at this point I think we're a few years removed from using sanctions as an excuse.

The constant OL problems year in and year out are mind-boggling.
I think this year and last year are not JS related. Frankly, last year was just a shit show due to COVID. Other schools/states managed it much better. This year was simply bad. But in the years before, meaning 2019, that was the end of the sanction years. By that, I mean that kids that were seniors in 2019 were recruited in 2014 (in high school at that time). At that was only three years after 2011. so when we are discussing systemic problems that has to be considered.

• 2021, shit show, no question
  • 2020, COVID mismanagement
  • 2019 and before, depth affected due to sanctions and the brand damage limiting recruiting effectiveness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT