ADVERTISEMENT

field condition was like nothing I have ever seen

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
we seemed to be tripping on the field and thought SB was hurt serious on the sideline twisting with little contact. Trace literally was tripping as he ran.

Did not seem to impact Iowa.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
This is natural grass. It's an amazing field. I hope ISU never switches to turf.
JackTriceStadium3.jpg

Well at the risk of being crucified...

It's been hot and dry all week in Iowa. So i'm guessing we show up with cleats designed for those field conditions.

For some strange reason the field was hardly dry and Iowa seemed to be wearing cleats designed for wet turf. [you could argue that it was damp and humid and that contributed to the slick conditions]

Go figure.

btw, appeared Davis slipped on his missed FG.

It's been hot and dry all week in Iowa. So i'm guessing we show up with cleats designed for those field conditions.

For some strange reason the field was hardly dry and Iowa seemed to be wearing cleats designed for wet turf. [you could argue that it was damp and humid and that contributed to the slick conditions]

Go figure.

We'll, it shouldn't be a surprise to PSU coaches that Iowa has field turf. If they really showed up with cleats for a dry grass field, then that's kinda on them. It's not like Iowa ripped out their turf and dropped sod Friday night.

Go figure.

Perhaps the "brown urine avians" wet the artificial turf?

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Go figure.

You sure it was dry in Iowa this week?

You sure it was dry in Iowa this week?
well, i don't live there, so all i can do is go by what is reported on the weather channels. I didn't see anything about rain the past 3 days ... according to weather underground there was 0.00 precip recorded in iowa city the last 3 days with 0.16 on the 20th. iow, 0 on the 19th, 21st, 22, 23rd. I'd call that dry.

That said, one team seemed to be slipping all over the place (penn state) and the other (the home team) wasn't.

It could be argued that as home team iowa knows what shoes work best.. it might also be argued that professional programs do a bit of due diligence and know what kind of field conditions to expect and what shoes to bring.

Of course, if they happen to be fooled... well, it was always common practice in baseball to heavily water the surface when speedy teams came to town. a wet turf works in iowa's favor... especially if they have cleats designed for it and the other team does not.

which might not be the case here. all i know is one team was leaving huge black streaks of turf in its wake while the other had no problem navigating the field. iowa must be just that good...

Reactions: dsites52
We'll, it shouldn't be a surprise to PSU coaches that Iowa has field turf. If they really showed up with cleats for a dry grass field, then that's kinda on them. It's not like Iowa ripped out their turf and dropped sod Friday night.
Frankly, i agree with that. And i also think we have a pretty good program in Happy Valley that has been to iowa once or twice and knows what conditions to expect.

Don't think they got it this time.

It's brand new field turf this year and Iowa has been slipping on it as well. I did notice that tonight Iowa players seemed to slip less than the first two games. People bitched when Iowa had grass a few years ago, so it's a no win situation.

Frankly, i agree with that. And i also think we have a pretty good program in Happy Valley that has been to iowa once or twice and knows what conditions to expect.

Don't think they got it this time.

Its been a few years since I've been to practice, but as I recall Holuba is field turf? The school district I was AD at installed field turf as well. I don't recall the black (tire) material being so abundant. I'm positive PSU knew exactly what kind of turf was installed at Kinnick. If anything, the training /equipment staff may have chosen less than ideal footwear for that brand of turf?

As stated by Marshall, the new turf seemed to have an excessive amount of the small rubber granules that you find on these fields and looked over soft.. Yes both teams had to play on it, but Iowa may have been prepared for this and had appropriate cleats.

It's brand new field turf this year and Iowa has been slipping on it as well. I did notice that tonight Iowa players seemed to slip less than the first two games. People bitched when Iowa had grass a few years ago, so it's a no win situation.
Who exactly bitches about grass fields?

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
I'd be kinda curious about Barkley next week. It almost looked to me he hyperextended his knee there on that slip.
The knee was my first thought as well but when Saquon was standing on the sideline it seemed a trainer was rubbing the ankle. He came back into the game so hopefully it was only a minor tweak.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Here's the thing. It's not "new" turf. It was installed in late June/early July. With proper maintenance, you shouldn't have pellets flying up like that.

Years ago, there was a Pitt game where they bitched about Penn State's spikes and they had to change them.

Why don't we have SEVERAL different types of cleats at EVERY game? Is it for BUDGETARY reasons? Why didn't we bring heaters and heated benches to Iowa City in 2008?

There are supposed to be a variety of cleats present. You must have missed my post below where Pitt bitched about Penn State's cleats and Paterno had to have them changed. Something about being an 1/8th or 1/4 inch too long.

There are supposed to be a variety of cleats present. You must have missed my post below where Pitt bitched about Penn State's cleats and Paterno had to have them changed. Something about being an 1/8th or 1/4 inch too long.
I saw your post but it was a little "cryptic". Thanks for clarifying.

Uh with field turf you wear the same type cleats as you do on a grass field. That is the point of having field turf.

The skilled leader layers may have different type of shoes that the players will decide to wear based on their decision.

Players will choose to wear screw ins which are regulated by the NCAA for length or Molded bottom cleats.

I guarantee you that the PSU players whatever shoes they would like to wear and it is their choice what to wear. The fact is though they wear cleats on Field turf, the same shoes they wear on grass.

It does take some time for the rubber pellets to "settle" amongst the plastic blades of grass, the manufacturers recommend as much use as possible for the field to help with that happening.

Could the field be slippery, who knows there are different types of field turf, could our players been unaccustomed to the surface maybe but not likely. They had pre game warmups.

But I can tell you the show argument is not relevant.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Grow some god damn grass. Anybody who bitches about grass fields should leave their ignorant opinions at home.

Uh with field turf you wear the same type cleats as you do on a grass field. That is the point of having field turf.

The skilled leader layers may have different type of shoes that the players will decide to wear based on their decision.

Players will choose to wear screw ins which are regulated by the NCAA for length or Molded bottom cleats.

I guarantee you that the PSU players whatever shoes they would like to wear and it is their choice what to wear. The fact is though they wear cleats on Field turf, the same shoes they wear on grass.

It does take some time for the rubber pellets to "settle" amongst the plastic blades of grass, the manufacturers recommend as much use as possible for the field to help with that happening.

Could the field be slippery, who knows there are different types of field turf, could our players been unaccustomed to the surface maybe but not likely. They had pre game warmups.

But I can tell you the show argument is not relevant.

Yes, takes a while to settle. The turf Iowa has, is the same OSU, UM, and Wiscy have. Granules can be added and subtracted and maintained via raking and vacuuming. Glad no one was injured.

In many fields, the amount of chips can be adjusted. For a game like field hockey they can add chips, which essentially make the blades of *grass* shorter and the ball play faster, they can vacuum the chips to make the blades longer. It is possible for the home team to adjust the turf to their liking.

Absolutely. People like to complain about field conditions no matter what. It's called homefield advantage.

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT