ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz just doubled down on the booing of injuries

Watch the game. Listen to the TV announcers. PSU used the injuries like a full timeout and yes it absolutely affected momentum.
Clifford was hurt and managed to get off the field, others looked like the comical soccer players who miraculously get up and jog off.
It looked bad and booing a college player is not ok... booing Franklin‽‽
So is it simply a better narrative to double down on the unsubstantiated claim that our team was cheating and you still fought through it to beat them than it is to say we were the better team when both were at 100% and you’re lucky you dodged a bullet?

Sounds to me like you’re trying to turn your actual victory into a moral victory as well.

Don't give them the satisfaction of it being a whiteout game. Make it a noon last game of the season

In 2023, Penn State plays Iowa on Halloween weekend then Michigan the following week. Those are the only 2 whiteout possible games. If ABC gets the Iowa game, it will be at night. The Big 10 still has a thing about November night games, even though they are allowing some but TV does involved. It all depends on does Fox or ABC get the games. I also said that it will be loud. I never said anything about booing.

Thats a nice bitch slap. Well done
Thank you.

The dude is trying to rewrite the history of what happened when anybody with a DVR can go watch and see for themselves that he's completely wrong.

@Erial_Lion you have been very dependable when it comes to rewatching the tape on issues like this. Would you be interested in rewatching the parts in question?

Watch the game. Listen to the TV announcers. PSU used the injuries like a full timeout and yes it absolutely affected momentum.
Clifford was hurt and managed to get off the field, others looked like the comical soccer players who miraculously get up and jog off.
Five of the seven didn’t come back into the game you moron. That’s pretty comical.

So you're saying you want to make a bet with me about the order in which PSU players went down with injuries? You're pretty crazy, huh?

I'm not going to take your money, but the tape agrees with me.
I'll bet you a six pack of local beer in the event that I ever make it to Happy Valley, though. No 3rd party required.

I'm fairly confident several other posters went and re watched the DVR as well so that they could come back and call me a liar. Maybe they would like to tell us what they discovered.
You are a liar. I just re-watched the game. Your order of events is wrong and there was booing for Mustipher who went down after 5 plays.

In 2023, Penn State plays Iowa on Halloween weekend then Michigan the following week. Those are the only 2 whiteout possible games. If ABC gets the Iowa game, it will be at night. The Big 10 still has a thing about November night games, even though they are allowing some but TV does involved. It all depends on does Fox or ABC get the games. I also said that it will be loud. I never said anything about booing.
Well since there's a new "Alliance" that's going to shake up scheduling, I say make the game the last of the season at noon where it deserves to be. I'd rather the West Virginia game be the White Out over Iowa.

Yes listen to the TV announcers. Klatt very clearly said PSU wasn't faking injuries.

@Erial_Lion you have been very dependable when it comes to rewatching the tape on issues like this. Would you be interested in rewatching the parts in question?
I do still have it. What exactly is the question (haven’t read this thread, and not really interested in doing so, but happy to confirm anything on the tape)?

I did check and Mustipher was our first player to go down. It was after our D made a first down stop and brought up 2nd and 11. I’d characterize the crowd reaction that we heard after it as a “smattering of boos”…nothing like later in the game, but a smaller level of audible booing.

I do still have it. What exactly is the question (haven’t read this thread, and not really interested in doing so, but happy to confirm anything on the tape)?

I did check and Mustipher was our first player to go down. It was after our D made a first down stop and brought up 2nd and 11. I’d characterize the crowd reaction that we heard after it as a “smattering of boos”…nothing like later in the game, but a smaller level of audible booing.
That seems to settle it right there. How can you argue you were justified in booing injuries because we were using it to slow down momentum when the boos came out on the 5th play of the game after Iowa had just lost a yard? At that point there was no pattern of injuries and it did not occur after a big play - in fact just the opposite. And that’s not to say anything about how Mustipher never came back and why we would ever fake with an all-conference caliber player.

That seems to settle it right there. How can you argue you were justified in booing injuries because we were using it to slow down momentum when the boos came out on the 5th play of the game after Iowa had just lost a yard? At that point there was no pattern of injuries and it did not occur after a big play - in fact just the opposite. And that’s not to say anything about how Mustipher never came back and why we would ever fake with an all-conference caliber player.
There is no justification. They, along with their coach, are just trying to change the narrative. Overcoming their opponent’s cheating is a helluva lot better storyline than being exposed for mediocrity.

Reactions: Zenophile
Don't give them the satisfaction of it being a whiteout game. Make it a noon last game of the season

What's funny about this is sometimes events like this can give birth to rivalries. It would be hilarious if some inventive fans came up with a giant rat trophy.

It would be better than this thing...
https%3A%2F%2Fhuskercorner.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F459884056-420x260.jpeg
Okay, the trophy above doesn't look that bad, but it seemed a little forced.

@Erial_Lion below is the discussion

I haven't tried to justify any boos. As I said in my initial post, I don't condone it.

That said, Mustipher wasn't the first player to go down.

WR #13 went down early on. There were 0 boos.

2 plays before Mustipher went down, Brisker went down. They worked on his shoulder for a bit, then he popped right up and jogged off the field, to a smattering boos. He returned exactly one play later, to many more boos.

There were initially a few boos when Mustipher went down, but when it was clear that he was actually hurt, those dried up quickly.(this still doesn't make it ok)

Watch a replay of the game and you'll see that everything I've typed here is the truth.

Again, I'm not condoning the boos. Personally, a player would have to do something pretty egregious to get a boo out of me. I do understand what the fans were thinking and seeing when they decided to boo, though. Large groups of people, especially when many of those people have been drinking, do stupid things. This isn't new or unique to football fans.

Iowa poster is saying PJ wasn't our first injury.

Mustipher went down during Iowa's first drive. He was the very first player to go down so you might want to watch the replay of the game because some of your facts are wrong. I just rewatched parts of the game. Brisker went down on the very first play of Iowa's drive after Penn State went up 14 -3. Another fact that you had wrong. He has been dealing with a shoulder injury since week 1. I am no Dr but if I had a guess it is some sort of burner. He played 76 of the 78 plays so I would assume that other play he was not in was a result of that shoulder needing to be stretched out or whatever he has been doing since Week 1 to stay on the field. Brisker is hands down Penn State's best player on defense. Ferentz should have called a pass play to attack the new safety. I believe they called a run. Brisker's replacement missed the first 2 games and is a converted CB learning the safety position. It was an opportunity a top notch play caller would have attacked. OSU would have tested Ellis immediately to see if you could get a blown assignment that results in a big play or even a TD.

Penn State guy rebuttal

After reading all of this for three days, I re watched the beginning of the game right before I made the post you quoted. I suggest you go re watch it too because you are flat out wrong. My facts were correct.

Disclaimer: I didn't bother reading your whole post because your first two sentences were completely false.

I rewatched parts of the game after reading your posts that was completely false of when players got injured. I have the game on my DVR. I will be glad to send a copy to you.

PJ Mustipher #97 went down on your first series on offense. He got injured on the 5th play of the game. Penn State snap counts vs Iowa He played only 5 snaps.
Penn State went up 14 to 3. Stoudt kicked the ball through the endzone like he normally does. It was 1st and 10 at Iowa 25 yard line and Goodson ripped off a 20 yard run to the 45 and Brisker landed on his shoulder making the tackle with Ebikiete also landing on him. Brisker was down then left for one play like you said. Iowa gave the ball again to Goodson for a 6 yard gain when then should have called a play to attack #2, who just came in for Brisker. When Penn State's best defensive player was out of the game, Iowa had a golden opportunity to attack a converted corner with very limited game reps at safety. Iowa's opportunity to potentially get a big play if Keaton Ellis blew his assignment was far greater than any momentum that Iowa might have had after one freaking 20 yard run after Penn State took a 10 point lead.

I am not sure how this board or rivals feel about posts with people proposing bets but who cares as BWI is moving at the end of the month. YOU NAME THE BET. All we need to do is find a 3rd party (maybe an OSU fan) to determine which one of us has our facts straight about when #97 and #1 went down with injuries during the game. I am not going to include your claim that Lambert-Smith (#13 on offense) was the first player down. I already feel bad because this feels like taking candy from a baby. Hell, if you want I will send a copy to a fan of the other 12 schools in the Big 10 and I am willing to use a Pitt fan as the tie breaker.

So you're saying you want to make a bet with me about the order in which PSU players went down with injuries? You're pretty crazy, huh?

I'm not going to take your money, but the tape agrees with me.
I'll bet you a six pack of local beer in the event that I ever make it to Happy Valley, though. No 3rd party required.

I'm fairly confident several other posters went and re watched the DVR as well so that they could come back and call me a liar. Maybe they would like to tell us what they discovered.

It is not crazy when it is a sure thing. I don't drink so alcohol is not influencing my judgement of what I saw and I only rewatched parts of the game to verify my memory. If it was not for your claim that #13 on offense was the first Penn State player to go down, I would figure that you are an Iowa fan getting Penn State players numbers confused. I have been there with certain Big 10 teams. Mustipher (#97) went down on the 5th play of the game. You really don't need a DVR to back this up. PJ Mustipher injured on opening drive vs Iowa

Brisker (#1) went down on the first play of the series after Penn State scored it's 2nd TD. The TV even showed and gave an injury report on 97 after Brisker went to the sideline. They stated that he was riding the bike and Penn State feels it is not serious but his status is questionable. I think it got worse by halftime because he was on crutches and his knee was wrapped in the 2nd half. You originally stated that he got hurt 2 plays before Brisker went down. Penn State's medical staff must be speed demons in their injury assessments of players and Mustipher must move really good for a 326 lb DT to hop on and off a bike and peddle really fast with a bum knee in about 3 plays based on your post.

Thank you.

The dude is trying to rewrite the history of what happened when anybody with a DVR can go watch and see for themselves that he's completely wrong.

This was everything. I didn't DVR the game and Don't see a full game clip on YouTube. I knew you usually had access from your screen captures and are always diligent and fair. Apologies for dragging you in, but much like another thread with Bushie, I just want the truth out there.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
I find it telling that Franklin felt the need to go out of his way to mention the booing/injury situation. It's like when my 7 year-old is trying to conceal something but just can't help but "out" himself.

I actually believe Franklin when he says "we don't coach players to fake injuries", but I also absolutely believe that "taking a break" if fatigued or needing a break isn't discouraged. And hey, what better time to do it than after the rare play that got the Iowa offense going a bit? And IMO that's exactly what happened on Saturday.

I find it telling that Franklin felt the need to go out of his way to mention the booing/injury situation. It's like when my 7 year-old is trying to conceal something but just can't help but "out" himself.

I actually believe Franklin when he says "we don't coach players to fake injuries", but I also absolutely believe that "taking a break" if fatigued or needing a break isn't discouraged. And hey, what better time to do it than after the rare play that got the Iowa offense going a bit? And IMO that's exactly what happened on Saturday.

And the wind was in on it too with the timely nature of blowing the ball of the tee?

If rats are part of mother nature and the wind is also part of mother nature then I guess Kirk has a point.

We need to take it easy on the children of the subsidized corn industry. If we were all forced to drink Busch Light pounders at $8.50 a clip, I would think we would all be booing about anything also! Btw, Busch light is the official state beer of Iowa! I feel sorry for them. At least we can slum it with Yuengling and Rolling Rock ( which is an import in most Midwest states btw).

Reactions: We Are . . .
I posted this elsewhere but it bears repeating…

Iowa is skyrocketing up the ranks of my most hated Big Ten opponents. They have moved into a dead heat it with Ohio State at the 2 spot. However, I think it’s near impossible to unseat Michigan at the top spot.

What's funny about this is sometimes events like this can give birth to rivalries. It would be hilarious if some inventive fans came up with a giant rat trophy.

It would be better than this thing...
https%3A%2F%2Fhuskercorner.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F459884056-420x260.jpeg
Okay, the trophy above doesn't look that bad, but it seemed a little forced.

We should definitely hang some rats up on their sideline for that future home game.

Oh good lord, you’re wrong, give it up already.

There is no justification. They, along with their coach, are just trying to change the narrative. Overcoming their opponent’s cheating is a helluva lot better storyline than being exposed for mediocrity.
Perhaps. But I'm trying to be as objective as I can.

It is true that occasionally teams have guys go down on D to buy some time. And I can see how the Brisker and AK injuries sort of looked like that at the time (we, of course, know that Brisker has been dealing with an issue all season and that AK was limping pretty badly the play before he went out, but I wouldn't expect the average fan in the stands to have known either of those things).

BUT, if your argument is that you were booing because 1) tons of PSU players went out and 2) they were doing so after big plays to slow momentum... well, Mustipher going out 5 plays into the game and after a PSU TFL doesn't satisfy either of those. And yet he was booed. So it seems pretty obvious that they were just being jackasses from the outset.

And all of that is to say nothing of Iowa's coach's antics and Ferentz doubling down. I agree with other posters, all respect I had for Ferentz is gone and Iowa is now firmly among my least favorite B1G teams. I hope Franklin has the opportunity to hang 50 on this slow-ass team someday.

Reactions: Petch
Oh good lord, you’re wrong, give it up already.

"He spoke, so he's guilty."

"He wouldn't address it, just like a guilty person wouldn't."

These guys are beginning to be intolerable. As someone said earlier, they got the win, they are ranked #2, and now they basically want complete submission and "bend the knee". And apparently they keep checking the board constantly, and sharing it on their board because new names Keep showing up.

The insecurities are real.

Went and looked at it again, and I was completely wrong on my timeline. I was doing like 3 things while I did my quick re watch, but that is no excuse and I'll own my mistake. My apologies.

Good thing the fella that wanted to bet me doesn't drink, though I'll buy him a 6 pack of pop(Soda? Coke? I don't know what you folks call it in your neck of the woods) or a gallon of milk or something if I ever make it to Happy Valley to cover my end if he wants it.

"He spoke, so he's guilty."

"He wouldn't address it, just like a guilty person wouldn't."

These guys are beginning to be intolerable. As someone said earlier, they got the win, they are ranked #2, and now they basically want complete submission and "bend the knee". And apparently they keep checking the board constantly, and sharing it on their board because new names Keep showing up.

The insecurities are real.
Ha! If Gopher Hockey just won against one of our biggest rivals, I wouldn't be on their board harrassing them. I'd be doing what all good hockey fans do. I'd set a sofa on fire... Outside of course...
1w6643.jpg

Ha! If Gopher Hockey just won against one of our biggest rivals, I wouldn't be on their board harrassing them. I'd be doing what all good hockey fans do. I'd set a sofa on fire... Outside of course...
1w6643.jpg

They normally wouldn't be here, but all the hogs are just plum wore out.

Reactions: bison13
Anyone that knows Kirk Ferentz knows that's what he said even if he didn't use those words.
Ferentz should get down on his hands and knees and thank God that Clifford got hurt. It took Iowa most of 3 quarters to overcome the lead PSU had when Clifford left after playing little more than 1 quarter.
Iowa was on it's way to a good old country ass whipping......and while Kirk may be dull, he's smart enough to know this deep down. Now his fans that lurk on other team's boards.....LOL not so much.
Most of the USA is laughing at Ferentz for pretending that PSU was faking injuries to slow down his offense.....as if Iowa's offense is up tempo LOL LOL LOL LOL

Iowa controls it's destiny. If they win out, they won't be ranked any lower than 2. They aren't sitting at #11 like Kentucky where style points matter as far as public perception (even though they too control their destiny; if they beat UGA, then win out and beat Bama in the CCG, they likely go to #1).

Congratulate your opponent and move on. Try to figure out why we scored 17 pts in 18 minutes. Understand that unless someone upsets OSU in the East, you have an even tougher offense to stop in Indy. And you gotta hurt 3 QBs there instead of 1 to slow them down. Understand that if we come out of the East, rematches suck when you run your mouth.
This may be the first time in my 71 years on earth that included 9 years of playing football, 16 years of coaching football and more years as an AD and league administrator than I care to count......where a WINNING team and their coach can't gracefully accept victory and move on. Trying to make Iowa fans who booed injuries look "intelligent" and "sportsmanlike" is like putting the proverbial lipstick on a pig.

Went and looked at it again, and I was completely wrong on my timeline. I was doing like 3 things while I did my quick re watch, but that is no excuse and I'll own my mistake. My apologies.

Good thing the fella that wanted to bet me doesn't drink, though I'll buy him a 6 pack of pop(Soda? Coke? I don't know what you folks call it in your neck of the woods) or a gallon of milk or something if I ever make it to Happy Valley to cover my end if he wants it.
We are good. You took another look and realized your timeline was messed up, which is all I wanted.

Just an honest coach sharing his feelings on the situation.

Q: What are your thoughts on fans booing injuries and it hurting your momentum?

KF: It hurt a little bit. I know a couple were legitimately hurt. Saw a couple on the bench- obviously the QB was injuried - and I hope they are well. Nobody wants to see injuries. But some of their other guys were down for the count it seemed like and then back a play or two later. Our fans aren't stupid. They know what's going on. That's only the second time we've seen something like that going on. It's a national topic. I know for a fact that there are two people in our building that have been other places where it goes on and they use a code word like scuba or dive or turtle, but we've never coached it or been exposed to it. Our fans thought they smelled a rat, I guess, and they responded.
Kirk Ferentz is a 🧀 eating 🐀.

Sidebar: Why does Brian Ferentz always have his mouth hanging wide open like a large mouth bass on the sidelines? Seriously dude, close your mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT