ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz just doubled down on the booing of injuries

It always cracks me up when an Iowa thread starts. Their fans are here in no time to troll and defend whatever stupid thing an Iowa coach/player/fan has said. I know they need the attention but dang. The Iowa Cawk Stalkers.
Clearly an inferiority complex. They all know that they are a little brother, at best, with their football program. In addition, they ALL know that they were getting dominated with Clifford in the game and they were extremely lucky when he went out. It's so hard for them to acknowledge this because it reveals the truth. That they are ridiculously overrated this year. They've got a solid D but an incredibly inept QB and offense. They are realistically around a #15 team and that's being generous.

Clearly an inferiority complex. They all know that they are a little brother, at best, with their football program. In addition, they ALL know that they were getting dominated with Clifford in the game and they were extremely lucky when he went out. It's so hard for them to acknowledge this because it reveals the truth. That they are ridiculously overrated this year. They've got a solid D but an incredibly inept QB and offense. They are realistically around a #15 team and that's being generous.
Give credit where it is due - they have an AWESOME punter

Iowa fan here. I see both sides of the argument and think the truth lies somewhere between the two fan bases' view. If I were at the game, I would definitely not boo any injured player and, quite frankly, there were a number of Iowa fans shown during the broadcast who came off looking like clowns. On the flip side, it seemed as if (and I did not go back and audit each injury) that each time a PSU player stayed down (other than Clifford) it was after a large gain by Iowa's offense. May have that been a coincidence? Perhaps, but it appeared as if PSU's defense was trying to disrupt any momentum that Iowa may have had.

Good luck the rest of the season and hope the teams meet up again in Indy.

I cannot wait for the first Hawkeye to not get up from the turf in next year’s contest
Fortunately we won't have to deal with the trash next year. When they do visit Beaver Stadium next, I fully expect to hear our fans applaud injured players as they always do. Just because Iowa acts like Iowa doesn't mean Penn State has to act like Iowa.

Fortunately we won't have to deal with the trash next year. When they do visit Beaver Stadium next, I fully expect to hear our fans applaud injured players as they always do. Just because Iowa acts like Iowa doesn't mean Penn State has to act like Iowa.
How about when they injure themselves celebrating a play?

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
How about when they injure themselves celebrating a play?
DB Riley Moss has leg injury and will miss 4-6 weeks

boo-annoyed.gif

Reactions: BobPSU92
Whatever respect I had for KF is gone. Too dumb, I guess, to take the high road after the fact and after a victory? A$$ 🤡
I'm beginning to think he is in the early stages of dementia.....that's how strange his comments are.

Reactions: PSU621
Iowa fan here. I see both sides of the argument and think the truth lies somewhere between the two fan bases' view. If I were at the game, I would definitely not boo any injured player and, quite frankly, there were a number of Iowa fans shown during the broadcast who came off looking like clowns. On the flip side, it seemed as if (and I did not go back and audit each injury) that each time a PSU player stayed down (other than Clifford) it was after a large gain by Iowa's offense. May have that been a coincidence? Perhaps, but it appeared as if PSU's defense was trying to disrupt any momentum that Iowa may have had.

Serious question - what is the benefit of faking an injury if Iowa was just going to jog down the field and huddle up? There was never any inkling that BF was going up-tempo. It makes no sense - there’s no advantage gained considering Iowa was stopping their own momentum each time they huddled up…which was every time since shortening the game is as much a part of their DNA as the colors yellow and black.

Reactions: harjeff
"But, but, we were going to run tempo."

Game time between snaps:

PSU running tempo: 7, 13, 20, 15, 18, 11, 37, 16 & 11 seconds with a back-up QB on the road.

Iowa: 34, 27, 21, 41, 43, 40 and 32 seconds on the drive the asst. coach flopped.

Remind me again how the Hawks were slowed down?

"But, but, we were going to run tempo."

Game time between snaps:

PSU running tempo: 7, 13, 20, 15, 18, 11, 37, 16 & 11 seconds with a back-up QB on the road.

Iowa: 34, 27, 21, 41, 43, 40 and 32 seconds on the drive the asst. coach flopped.

Remind me again how the Hawks were slowed down?
Never made sense to me why they went up-tempo with Roberson. I know it’s what they do, but why not shorten the game ala Iowa…rest the D…limit Iowa’s touches?

So I've seen several Iowa posters asked this with no response. But maybe you'll be different. Why? Why would Penn State do this? Why would Penn State have it's best players fake injuries and then have to sit out plays, in the case of #17 sit out 4 plays? Our best DE, told to flop down and then sit out 4 plays? Why? Slow momentum? Iowa huddles after every play. THEY slow momentum themselves.

I'd sure give you credit if you could articulate a reasonable explanation for why Penn State would want to do this and why they would use their best players to do it.
Don’t try to confuse people by asking them for rational explanations of their assertions.

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1

Again, another Iowa fan explaining what happened but missing the all important why. You don’t need injuries to disrupt momentum for an offense that’s not up tempo. And five of the seven injured players didn’t return to the game at all. Your fans were wrong, accept it and move on. I won’t even call it classless to boo, but it was really stupid and shows a complete lack of basic football knowledge.

Here’s a quick history lesson on Ferentz’s racist past, totally ran rampant in his program: Ferentz Bigot

Anyone see any people of color in the stands? All of them yelling at a black head coach and black players. Makes sense why the rest of the country tries to forget Iowa even exists.

Again, another Iowa fan explaining what happened but missing the all important why. You don’t need injuries to disrupt momentum for an offense that’s not up tempo. And five of the seven injured players didn’t return to the game at all. Your fans were wrong, accept it and move on. I won’t even call it classless to boo, but it was really stupid and shows a complete lack of basic football knowledge.
Disagree. Iowa's offense is oftentimes built on momentum -- not necessarily tempo. A couple times when it felt as if Iowa's offense was beginning to click, a PSU player went down with injury. Again, I have not conducted an audit of the result of each play where a PSU defender was injured, but it seemed as if the injuries occurred after a big yardage gain (which, there were few and far between for Iowa).

As stated, I see both sides of the argument. I would be pissed if Iowa was in a situation where its injured players were booed by the opposition. Likewise, I have been frustrated where the opposition went down with injuries in what was perceived as a stalling effort (most notably, the Gator Bowl against LSU a couple years back).

Ferentz's comments were surprising, but must be substantiated by certain facts and circumstances. I have seen a number of questionable decisions from him the past 22 years, but one thing he does not do, is fire from the cuff without reason. As stated in my prior post, I think the truth lies somewhere between our fans' respective positions.

Iowa is by far the most classless program in the Big Ten. Most of the fans look rude and uneducated and for a head coach to allege that Penn State faked injury by their best players, when PSU lost one of their best defensive players early, their QB that was carving them up towards a 4 touchdown rout after first quarter, several other starters for game. Keep in mind that it was 83 degrees, and leg cramps etc happen. Why would Penn State's best pass rusher fake injury in a tight game. It's sad because my family lived in Iowa in the 60s and the current population there seem so different from the classy farmers there then. I hope they lose often rest of the way--booing injured athletes by fat dumb fans is as low as you can go, and then the aging coach defends the behavior. Wow!

Kirk knows what he’s doing. He doesn’t like the narrative that they won because of Cliffords injury so he’s trying to fan this fire

Iowa controls it's destiny. If they win out, they won't be ranked any lower than 2. They aren't sitting at #11 like Kentucky where style points matter as far as public perception (even though they too control their destiny; if they beat UGA, then win out and beat Bama in the CCG, they likely go to #1).

Congratulate your opponent and move on. Try to figure out why we scored 17 pts in 18 minutes. Understand that unless someone upsets OSU in the East, you have an even tougher offense to stop in Indy. And you gotta hurt 3 QBs there instead of 1 to slow them down. Understand that if we come out of the East, rematches suck when you run your mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree. Iowa's offense is oftentimes built on momentum -- not necessarily tempo. A couple times when it felt as if Iowa's offense was beginning to click, a PSU player went down with injury. Again, I have not conducted an audit of the result of each play where a PSU defender was injured, but it seemed as if the injuries occurred after a big yardage gain (which, there were few and far between for Iowa).

As stated, I see both sides of the argument. I would be pissed if Iowa was in a situation where its injured players were booed by the opposition. Likewise, I have been frustrated where the opposition went down with injuries in what was perceived as a stalling effort (most notably, the Gator Bowl against LSU a couple years back).

Ferentz's comments were surprising, but must be substantiated by certain facts and circumstances. I have seen a number of questionable decisions from him the past 22 years, but one thing he does not do, is fire from the cuff without reason. As stated in my prior post, I think the truth lies somewhere between our fans' respective positions.

“Ferentz's comments were surprising, but must be substantiated by certain facts and circumstances.”

sure, but I want to hear the justification for booing Mustipher, the first injured player who ended up on crutches. What are Ferentz’s facts there? How about when the first team all Big Ten safety and maybe the best defensive player in the stadium, had to go out for a play? Why would he, of all players, flop?

“Ferentz's comments were surprising, but must be substantiated by certain facts and circumstances.”

sure, but I want to hear the justification for booing Mustipher, the first injured player who ended up on crutches. What are Ferentz’s facts there? How about when the first team all Big Ten safety and maybe the best defensive player in the stadium, had to go out for a play? Why would he, of all players, flop?
I haven't tried to justify any boos. As I said in my initial post, I don't condone it.

That said, Mustipher wasn't the first player to go down.

WR #13 went down early on. There were 0 boos.

2 plays before Mustipher went down, Brisker went down. They worked on his shoulder for a bit, then he popped right up and jogged off the field, to a smattering boos. He returned exactly one play later, to many more boos.

There were initially a few boos when Mustipher went down, but when it was clear that he was actually hurt, those dried up quickly.(this still doesn't make it ok)

Watch a replay of the game and you'll see that everything I've typed here is the truth.

Again, I'm not condoning the boos. Personally, a player would have to do something pretty egregious to get a boo out of me. I do understand what the fans were thinking and seeing when they decided to boo, though. Large groups of people, especially when many of those people have been drinking, do stupid things. This isn't new or unique to football fans.

ADVERTISEMENT