ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Wow - Disney releases slate of upcoming Star Wars/Marvel projects....

The talent attached to this stuff is really, really impressive. Sam Raimi returning to Marvel (via Dr. Strange), Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen returning to Star Wars, Tatiana Maslany to She Hulk (which will have Mark Ruffalo as Hulk as well); Oscar Isaac to Moon Knight; Taika Waititi Star Wars Movie (yes!); Christian Bale in the newest Thor movie.....and a new Fantastic Four movie. Lots of this stuff will be on Disney+ too. Weirdly - no X-Men mention at all. Still, lots for fans to get excited for. Wandavision debuts in January, new Loki show and Black Widow movie in May.......

The talent attached to this stuff is really, really impressive. Sam Raimi returning to Marvel (via Dr. Strange), Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen returning to Star Wars, Tatiana Maslany to She Hulk (which will have Mark Ruffalo as Hulk as well); Oscar Isaac to Moon Knight; Taika Waititi Star Wars Movie (yes!); Christian Bale in the newest Thor movie.....and a new Fantastic Four movie. Lots of this stuff will be on Disney+ too. Weirdly - no X-Men mention at all. Still, lots for fans to get excited for. Wandavision debuts in January, new Loki show and Black Widow movie in May.......
The X-men franchise needs a rest, because they have been awful with the exception of Logan. They need to focus on individual stories with the X-men characters before they “re-unite” them for a feature.
Notice there is no reference to Deadpool.

Push all those release dates back another 1.5+ years.

Loki, Wandavision, and Black Widow are finished I think. Same for Shang Chi. Really curious to see what they do with all the Netflix Defenders stuff - thought it was pretty great where it was.

Reactions: BBrown

I noticed in the last episode of the Mandalorian that they made the MMA lady (who seemingly gained about 30lbs during the break) work for the New Republic. I suppose that's what the spinoff will be about. This doesn't give any of the Mandalorian plot away in case you haven't seen it.

Captain Marvel was one of my favorite Marvel releases. Curious who they bring in as her love interest.

LdN

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
tenor.gif

Dam that is mind blowing thanks for informing. I fear our Disney + fee will go up dramatically though 😒

wow- nerdgasm for sure! I had thought Love and Thunder was due in theaters in 2021 (?). Disney is doing some serious cashing in and investing from the success of the Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians, etc. ("Phase 1"?). Love it!

Last year, I did some consulting work for a software company in Toronto where the 30-ish CEO would come in and play with his star wars legos while on conference calls. He had a fish tank office, all glass, and it was weird. He was buying these $500 lego sets and putting them together. When done, he'd put them in the board room for a month then move them to a display location someplace else in the space. Great guy but way too immature to run a company. He was the cofounder. The board, I learned last week, took a lot of his power away and gave it to the Chairmen of the Board (who I recommended for a board seat).

Last year, I did some consulting work for a software company in Toronto where the 30-ish CEO would come in and play with his star wars legos while on conference calls. He had a fish tank office, all glass, and it was weird. He was buying these $500 lego sets and putting them together. When done, he'd put them in the board room for a month then move them to a display location someplace else in the space. Great guy but way too immature to run a company. He was the cofounder. The board, I learned last week, took a lot of his power away and gave it to the Chairmen of the Board (who I recommended for a board seat).

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax
I noticed in the last episode of the Mandalorian that they made the MMA lady (who seemingly gained about 30lbs during the break) work for the New Republic. I suppose that's what the spinoff will be about. This doesn't give any of the Mandalorian plot away in case you haven't seen it.

Captain Marvel was one of my favorite Marvel releases. Curious who they bring in as her love interest.

LdN

Yeah - love Mando. Great show.

Marvel Studios does not even know that Ms. Marvel was created in 1977. Carol Danvers was the original and Kamala Kahn is the 4th (latest version) Ms. Marvel.

What do you mean? Says this Ms. Marvel is an original ‘show’; so, a new platform for this version of the character.

so basically Disney going all in on disney plus streaming recognizing that is where the money is based on Mandalorian versus big budget one off films. make sense. there is so much content to have TV series with Star Wars and Marvels that you can see literally that can have 2 or 3 series for each franchise going at one time which is going to make a huge amount of people sign up for Disney plus.

I see they are going with the Netflix model of quantity over quality. I'd rather have 1-2 great shows or movies than 20 mediocre ones. For example, of all the Star Wars films that came out over the last 5-6 years only Rogue 1 stands out as memorable.

Dam that is mind blowing thanks for informing. I fear our Disney + fee will go up dramatically though 😒
It has begun----> Going up to $8.99/month starting in March. I'm locked in for two years, but I'm sure they will try to make it worth your while to bundle with Hulu/ESPN+ even more going forward.

It has begun----> Going up to $8.99/month starting in March. I'm locked in for two years, but I'm sure they will try to make it worth your while to bundle with Hulu/ESPN+ even more going forward.
This is the big irony in streaming services to me. Most people I know that have them have several... Netflix, Hulu, Disney, YTTV, etc. And when you add up the fees from all of that it's no less expensive than cable was in the first place, but one of the primary intents to move to streaming in the first place was to escape cable's pricing structure. Eventually I expect cable to move to a channel specific pricing model, or to get their bundles priced low enough that there will be a swing back to cable company offerings at some point.

I see they are going with the Netflix model of quantity over quality. I'd rather have 1-2 great shows or movies than 20 mediocre ones. For example, of all the Star Wars films that came out over the last 5-6 years only Rogue 1 stands out as memorable.
Understand your point about the films but am confused about how you're able to judge the quality of a show that hasn't yet been made.

Yeah, but Disney has had pretty good success with a lot of it's streaming shows - I thought Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Cage, Defenders was really good, and the Star Wars stuff on Cartoon Network is phenomenal (great showrunners). The movies haven't been as good but the stakes are higher; you see what Jon Favreau can do with Mandalorian (note he trots out guys like Taika Waititi, Robert Rodriguez, Timothy Olyphant, etc. regularly on that show) and I think Disney sees a blueprint of sorts. For Star Wars, IMO, it's all about getting away from the Skywalker stuff (even though they're gonna do an Obi Wan show); for Marvel, it's keep on keepin' on. Wandavision and Loki look pretty great so far; we'll see about the other stuff. But when you get Sam Jackson and all the other Marvel mainstays willing to do streaming shows, I think the results will be awesome.

Understand your point about the films but am confused about how you're able to judge the quality of a show that hasn't yet been made.
Fair point, I don't know how good this stuff will be but when announcing 20 new shows all at once with similar content it's probably a safe assumption they aren't all going to be winners. This looks like an effort to add a bunch of new subscriptions, potentially as holiday gifts. It looks like Disney's fiscal quarter ends in late December, so it appears as though by announcing all of this now they are trying to get some traction with subscriptions before closing out their Q1.

This is the big irony in streaming services to me. Most people I know that have them have several... Netflix, Hulu, Disney, YTTV, etc. And when you add up the fees from all of that it's no less expensive than cable was in the first place, but one of the primary intents to move to streaming in the first place was to escape cable's pricing structure. Eventually I expect cable to move to a channel specific pricing model, or to get their bundles priced low enough that there will be a swing back to cable company offerings at some point.

That would be awesome.

I think all platforms have more misses than hits - except maybe HBO. Don't hear as much about the misses though since they usually fail to make it past one season.

Fair point, I don't know how good this stuff will be but when announcing 20 new shows all at once with similar content it's probably a safe assumption they aren't all going to be winners. This looks like an effort to add a bunch of new subscriptions, potentially as holiday gifts. It looks like Disney's fiscal quarter ends in late December, so it appears as though by announcing all of this now they are trying to get some traction with subscriptions before closing out their Q1.
IMHO Disney appears to have learned its lesson with the Star Wars properties and has the pocketbook and creative team in place for quality assurance. I see this announcement as reason for optimism.

Both WandaVision and Loki are looking really interesting to me.

From the trailer it looks like Loki may be going on some mischievous adventures through time and space... based on the scene with him jumping out of the plane, it looks like they’re going to say that real-world mystery criminal “D.B. Cooper” was actually Loki! Pretty cool.

Both WandaVision and Loki are looking really interesting to me.

From the trailer it looks like Loki may be going on some mischievous adventures through time and space... based on the scene with him jumping out of the plane, it looks like they’re going to say that real-world mystery criminal “D.B. Cooper” was actually Loki! Pretty cool.

Agree - and both are out earlier than most of the others.

The key announcement though is Fantastic Four; used to be Sony and Fox would crank out crappy Spider-Man and X-Men/Fantastic Four movies just so they could keep the movie rights. With Disney getting everything back, the FF opens up a whole bunch of sh*t that will play very well with Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, The Eternals, and Thor. Have to do FF right though because it's very easy to do poorly (as we've seen).

Agree - and both are out earlier than most of the others.

The key announcement though is Fantastic Four; used to be Sony and Fox would crank out crappy Spider-Man and X-Men/Fantastic Four movies just so they could keep the movie rights. With Disney getting everything back, the FF opens up a whole bunch of sh*t that will play very well with Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, The Eternals, and Thor. Have to do FF right though because it's very easy to do poorly (as we've seen).

+1 on the Fantastic Four.
The reboot was worse than the original...and the original was pretty bad.

+1 on the Fantastic Four.
The reboot was worse than the original...and the original was pretty bad.

I see it's being directed by Jon Watts, who did the most recent Spider-Man movies; works for me :).

Oh - and in an almost throwaway line, I saw Jonny Majors (Lovecraft Country) will play Kang The Conqueror in the new Ant-Man movie. Man, Disney just gets anyone they want. Now, just get Tom Hardy away from Venom and on to something else, and we'll be good.

I think a lot of people feel good about sticking it to the cable companies. I can tell you that I saved about $120 a month by dumping cable. Just the hardware alone would cover a Netflix subscription. I only keep one streaming service at a time, but there is a lot of room in there for another one. Cable would have to make a 180 degree turnaround to get me back.

Disney trying to make up the money the theme parks are losing with subscriptions to +. Not a bad idea

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT