ADVERTISEMENT

FC: What was your major in college?

BS Chemistry 1978
MS Chemistry 1981 (tOSU)

Exchange student Universität zu Köln, 1978

I kinda had an unofficial minor in German (they did not have minors in those days).

Metallurgy We had only 8 guys my junior and senior year. Image being in class with only 7 other guys for 2 classes a term for 2 years. The professors got to know us which in my case was a bad thing.

At Penn State or elsewhere. This was likely brought up here before, but we have three couples here for a small cookout. All are college grads. Of the 4 men, 2 are political science, including me. One is history. One is education. Of the 4 women, 2 are education. One is economics (my wife), and one is French.
Accounting. Worked as a Joint Ventures Auditor for Marathon Oil Company at age 22. Quit after 3 years to go to law school.

Accounting. Worked as a Joint Ventures Auditor for Marathon Oil Company at age 22. Quit after 3 years to go to law school.
Now that is one I would not have guessed. I thought sure you were political science.

My majors were many over the course of my academic career. Accounting, Business Administration, History, Social Work. Degrees were:
Associate's in Business Administration
Bachelor's and Master's in Social Work

Now that is one I would not have guessed. I thought sure you were political science.
Probably would have majored in English or Histoy or Poli Sci, but my dad was an English/French teacher, and I feared I would end up doing that. It was accounting or nursing for me since that is where the jobs were. My forte` as an accountant was explaining it to management in writing.

BS Environmental Resource Management, minor in Soil Resources - PSU
MS Environmental Protection and Safety Management - St. Joe's

Been in the consulting industry for almost 20 years now.

Reactions: fairgambit
BS Engineering Science and MS in Nuclear Engineering from Penn State

Also, an MS in Mechanical Engineering from a university that will remain unnamed. Even waterboarding would not cause me to name the university for my MS in ME

BS Mining Engineering and Masters in Business Admin. followed by 40 years of the school of hard knocks. Then I got smart and retired.

I did Mining Engineering with a Mineral Processing emphasis and finished in '79. I did fused abrasives and ceramic proppants for a few years and then moved into stamped metal products for the last thirty.

Never finished the MBA thing cause I liked the engineering work and didn't want to cross over to the dark side.

I almost understand what you're talking about.:confused::)

I never was really asked. A bit of a story. I had retired early from the coal industry after 28 years. I was retired for almost 6 years when I actually saw an ad for a Mineral Economist position in Boulder. I applied for and got the position in 2006. So, after 36 years I finally got a job in my major!:D Sometimes it takes a while but you have to keep trying.

I never was really asked. A bit of a story. I had retired early from the coal industry after 28 years. I was retired for almost 6 years when I actually saw an ad for a Mineral Economist position in Boulder. I applied for and got the position in 2006. So, after 36 years I finally got a job in my major!:D Sometimes it takes a while but you have to keep trying.
Good story. :)

Started towards a BS in Chemical Engineering, but a fake ID at the age of 19 and access to the State College bars ended that. So, switched over to EMS and ended up with a BS Energy and Fuels Engineering. I thought I would work in a lab developing synthetic fuels, which was actually a passion (research). Bottom fell out of the oil market in the late 1980s and R&D got scaled back.

After a few years in industry, I got my MS Environmental Engineering, also from Penn State.

Have done a lot of work over the last few years with redeveloping unusable brownsfields sites into more viable properties. There is something to be said to look at piece of formerly unused property and now is a viable property, and say "I helped create that".

Had thoughts of an MBA or even working on a PhD, but the idea of classroom work and studying just is not appealing anymore.
I have a lot of clients that do this type of work - started in the Environmental Field out of College and now develop Insurance programs for firms doing Environmental work.

Reactions: fairgambit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT