ADVERTISEMENT

FC: What was your major in college?

It's funny I don't see any of my fellow grads here from the Admin of Justice program at PSU. Anyone else here learn the ropes from Judge Grine?

Reactions: fairgambit
Political Science major/ Economics minor--PSU. Law school--UCLA
Thank God. I thought I was the only one. Of course, I did not go to law school at UCLA. It was east of the Mississippi, but I never have divulged the actual source of my legal genius.;)

Thank God. I thought I was the only one. Of course, I did not go to law school at UCLA. It was east of the Mississippi, but I never have divulged the actual source of my legal genius.;)
Fair, whatever law school, it has been a fine source of your legal acumen. I'm not surprised by the number of posters with engineering, science and business majors. I remember getting ribbed in the dorm and in my fraternity for being a Liberal Arts major. As one engineering major once told me, all you political science majors do is read and write. He got that right. Been doing a lot of that for the last 37 years.

At Penn State or elsewhere. This was likely brought up here before, but we have three couples here for a small cookout. All are college grads. Of the 4 men, 2 are political science, including me. One is history. One is education. Of the 4 women, 2 are education. One is economics (my wife), and one is French.

I'm Pol. Sci. as well 'fair'.

Fair, whatever law school, it has been a fine source of your legal acumen. I'm not surprised by the number of posters with engineering, science and business majors. I remember getting ribbed in the dorm and in my fraternity for being a Liberal Arts major. As one engineering major once told me, all you political science majors do is read and write. He got that right. Been doing a lot of that for the last 37 years.
When I started this thread I expected Liberal Arts to dominate. I was obviously badly mistaken. Reading and writing. I remember a potential client a few years ago who, when I quoted a fee for a Will said "Why so much for just pushing around some paper?" Ordinarily I would have brushed it off, but I was having a bad day and so I tore 2 sheets off my legal pad and moved then around on my desk. I handed them to him and said "Here. No charge". I thought he might walk out, but he laughed and agreed to my fee. He is still a client.

B.S. ChE 1980

It took me 5 years -- all of it at University Park. I spent a year and a half as a Co-Op at the Battelle Memorial Institute, which is across King Avenue at the south end of Ohio State's campus. And yes, I was in Ohio Stadium for the 19-0 win.

B.S. Hotel Restaurant and Institutional Management from PSU
M.ED in Business Education from Bloomsburg
Currently working on M. ED in School Business Leadership at Wilkes

At Penn State or elsewhere. This was likely brought up here before, but we have three couples here for a small cookout. All are college grads. Of the 4 men, 2 are political science, including me. One is history. One is education. Of the 4 women, 2 are education. One is economics (my wife), and one is French.
BS Accounting, became a CPA with Ernst $ Ernst, which morphed into Ernst Young over the decades.

Started towards a BS in Chemical Engineering, but a fake ID at the age of 19 and access to the State College bars ended that. So, switched over to EMS and ended up with a BS Energy and Fuels Engineering. I thought I would work in a lab developing synthetic fuels, which was actually a passion (research). Bottom fell out of the oil market in the late 1980s and R&D got scaled back.

After a few years in industry, I got my MS Environmental Engineering, also from Penn State.

Have done a lot of work over the last few years with redeveloping unusable brownsfields sites into more viable properties. There is something to be said to look at piece of formerly unused property and now is a viable property, and say "I helped create that".

Had thoughts of an MBA or even working on a PhD, but the idea of classroom work and studying just is not appealing anymore.

Last edited:
Since people are adding their grad schools, I will add mine.

BS Biology Penn State (UP campus all 4 years) 1980

MD at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine 1984 (school now goes by NEOMED now after adding a grad school and pharmacy school). Proud to be the first Penn Stater to graduate there. The rigorous education I received at PSU prepared me well as a lot of what was taught in my first year was a review of what I had learned and in some cases in less detail.

Finished with 1 year Transitional Year residency (rotating internship), 4 years Diagnostic Radiology residency and 1 Year Cross Sectional Imaging Fellowship (CT/MRI/Ultrasound) at NEOUCOM and William Beaumont Hospital (U of Mich affiliated hospital at the time).

Political Science/English

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT