ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Tokyo Olympics cutting 56 wrestling slots

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
EDIT: Sorry, didn't see this in Tom's "Articles for Thursday" post. Feel free to delete.

To the surprise of no one, wrestling was on the receiving end of those cuts, losing 56 spots from the 344 wrestlers who participated in Rio. The 285 wrestling slots allocated for Tokyo will be divided equally among Greco-Roman, men's freestyle, and women's freestyle and their six respective weights, equating to 16 wrestlers per weight class.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/57615-the-olympics-cut-56-wrestlers-from-2020#.WURDnza1tjp

All to make room 3-on-3 basketball, skateboarding, and other "sports". Olympics slowly turning into the X Games.

Last edited:
EDIT: Sorry, didn't see this in Tom's "Articles for Thursday" post. Feel free to delete.

To the surprise of no one, wrestling was on the receiving end of those cuts, losing 56 spots from the 344 wrestlers who participated in Rio. The 285 wrestling slots allocated for Tokyo will be divided equally among Greco-Roman, men's freestyle, and women's freestyle and their six respective weights, equating to 16 wrestlers per weight class.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/57615-the-olympics-cut-56-wrestlers-from-2020#.WURDnza1tjp

All to make room 3-on-3 basketball, skateboarding, and other "sports". Olympics slowly turning into the X Games.

ratings matter to NBC and NBC matters to the olympics. X Games are annually on TV, our world championships are on the internet. shame but it is the current state of things.

FWIW and IMHO: They should just cut the Olympics. Decaying facilities in China, Brazil and elsewhere where m(b)illions of dollars were spent. Hold World championships in those sports people want to see - which already occurs in most sports. Not 3 on 3 basketball. Who gives a crap?

Reactions: The Shelter
I would like to watch 3 on 3 basketball. Up tempo and high scoring! One of the big reasons i love to watch Rugby 7's

I would like to watch 3 on 3 basketball. Up tempo and high scoring! One of the big reasons i love to watch Rugby 7's

As an Olympic venue you would only get to see it every 4 years and maybe never again after these Olympics.

I'm a basketball fan but 3 on 3 basketball in the Olympics is not something that's very intriguing to me

What's most frustrating about the IOC isn't that they're the most corrupt sports organization the world has ever known, it's that in their role as trustees for the Olympic games they regularly sell out their only product -- the goodwill people have for the Olympic games -- and the world doesn't catch on.

It's not enough for them to shake down a different city in naked kickbackery every two years, they've got to invite professional ringers into the games themselves, all the while selling the games as the pinnacle and spirit of amateurism. Golfers and baseball players and three-on-three basketball players don't grow up dreaming of winning gold medals, but every wrestler does.

It's really not right, and even something of a miracle, that the IOC gets to do each of these things which should be in tension:
1. Rob and later ruin cities
2. Bring in professional, already very well-compensated athletes to justify pricy network deal
3. Sell us all that this is about amateurism

Reactions: LHavenlion
ADVERTISEMENT