ADVERTISEMENT

FC: The Buffalo Bills headed to Beaver Stadium ?

GulfCoastLion

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2002
Houston, TX
Nothing new here based on the recent rumor mill, but another article on the subject nonetheless 🤔🤷‍♂️

According to a report from WROC-TV, the Buffalo Bills are considering both Penn State and Toronto as potential temporary homes if their plans to construct a new stadium don’t come to fruition before their current lease expires. The team’s contract at Highmark Stadium in Orchard Park, New York, will expire in 2023.
WROC-TV said the Bills’ proposed new facility could be ready by as early as 2025, but that would leave a year of limbo for the team if its current lease remains unchanged. Plans for a new Bills stadium remain in early stages and have plenty of wiggle room to avoid a likely undesired trip to Happy Valley for a year or two.
The Bills’ reported narrowed-down options of Toronto and Penn State are interesting given the distance between them and Buffalo. A trip from Orchard Park to Beaver Stadium would run north of three and a half hours, while Ontario’s capital falls at around two hours.
It’s also worth noting that Bills owner Terry Pegula is a Penn State alum. He donated more than $88 million to help construct Pegula Ice Arena and bring Penn State men’s hockey to the national stage. Perhaps next he could bring the Bills Mafia to college football’s greatest tailgating fields.

For it to ever happen, there will need to be serious upgrades done to Beaver Stadium beforehand. The visitors locker room is crap even by college standards. Also, if it ever happens, parking on grass areas will likely need to be restricted too. Eight extra games will make grass parking a swamp even though some of the games would be played after the college season is over.

Last edited:
I expect Sandy will work her magic with Pegula to get stadium upgrades.

The NFL football season runs much longer than college football. I would imagine the winter problems for the stadium would still exist. Selling beer at the stadium would still be a problem, winter parking, etc.

Reactions: bison13
Nothing new here based on the recent rumor mill, but another article on the subject nonetheless 🤔🤷‍♂️

According to a report from WROC-TV, the Buffalo Bills are considering both Penn State and Toronto as potential temporary homes if their plans to construct a new stadium don’t come to fruition before their current lease expires. The team’s contract at Highmark Stadium in Orchard Park, New York, will expire in 2023.
WROC-TV said the Bills’ proposed new facility could be ready by as early as 2025, but that would leave a year of limbo for the team if its current lease remains unchanged. Plans for a new Bills stadium remain in early stages and have plenty of wiggle room to avoid a likely undesired trip to Happy Valley for a year or two.
The Bills’ reported narrowed-down options of Toronto and Penn State are interesting given the distance between them and Buffalo. A trip from Orchard Park to Beaver Stadium would run north of three and a half hours, while Ontario’s capital falls at around two hours.
It’s also worth noting that Bills owner Terry Pegula is a Penn State alum. He donated more than $88 million to help construct Pegula Ice Arena and bring Penn State men’s hockey to the national stage. Perhaps next he could bring the Bills Mafia to college football’s greatest tailgating fields.

isn't the simplest solution for the Bill to extend the current contract at Orchard Park. My sister lives in Rochester and are Bills fans attending a couple games each year. She has no intention of driving to SC for a game. Seems like the Bills are making this way too complicated.

I’d suggest this would be a ploy to get some more long term fans but State College is right in the middle of two very loyal NFL fan bases so that’s unlikely.

I personally see Toronto as their best option other than Buffalo and thought they had talked about playing a game every year up there.

It’s definitely the Pegula connection at work - maybe this is a way for Pegula to pump a ton of money into stadium renovations without it having to be a straight up donation?

Not sure Canada will accommodate US visitors anymore. Unless Justin Trudeau changes his radical lockdown policies soon, which is highly doubtful. I don’t think you can even enter into Canada without a 14 day quarantine period, unless you are fully vaccinated. Canada is no longer our friendly neighbors across the border. Nuff said.

Not sure Canada will accommodate US visitors anymore. Unless Justin Trudeau changes his radical lockdown policies soon, which is highly doubtful. I don’t think you can even enter into Canada without a 14 day quarantine period, unless you are fully vaccinated. Canada is no longer our friendly neighbors across the border. Nuff said.
The Bills' current lease expires in 2023. For all our sakes I hope Covid is under control by then and restrictions/quarantines will be a thing of the past.

We
We are to Canada as Mexico is to the USA.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
I’d suggest this would be a ploy to get some more long term fans but State College is right in the middle of two very loyal NFL fan bases so that’s unlikely.

I personally see Toronto as their best option other than Buffalo and thought they had talked about playing a game every year up there.

It’s definitely the Pegula connection at work - maybe this is a way for Pegula to pump a ton of money into stadium renovations without it having to be a straight up donation?

Why would it make a difference what form the money takes?

Lots of Bills fans in the Northern Tier Counties. They love to shop in Buffalo and go see the falls. But I am not excited as this is just a negotiation ploy.

Not a Bill's fan but think it's just a negotiating ploy. Here is another question though. If the nfl is eventually going to a scheduling model of 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral site, is it possible that college stadiums like at psu, osu, etc. that hold 100k would host an nfl game just for the $?

Not a Bill's fan but think it's just a negotiating ploy. Here is another question though. If the nfl is eventually going to a scheduling model of 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral site, is it possible that college stadiums like at psu, osu, etc. that hold 100k would host an nfl game just for the $?

Maybe, but don't expect a huge windfall. Neutral sites hosting such a game get a flat fee. NFL isn't scheduling an additional game to give revenue away.

ADVERTISEMENT