ADVERTISEMENT

FC: The Athletic's 'Top 12 Best Head Coaching Jobs in College Football'.....

Amazing Penn State doesn’t rate higher.

Very good academics.
Good facilities.
Tradition.
Quality of life.
Huge alumni base.
Ice cream.
Leadership.
Change "very good" to average, and you're spot on. Times have changed on that front. Of course, that's not to say that academics weigh in the least in any would be coach's decision.
P.S. Oops, scratch leadership from the list.

Last edited:
Perhaps Texas A&M and Clemson.

A&M is flush with cash though, and Dabo gets whatever the F he wants for his team. I also believe Clemson football keeps the money they make. I wouldn't want to coach there, but you can see the attraction...

Clemson. Easily. Johnny come lately. I live in SC and Clemson has never been a destination job.

clempson is — Gasp! — new money.

giphy.gif

A&M is flush with cash though, and Dabo gets whatever the F he wants for his team. I also believe Clemson football keeps the money they make. I wouldn't want to coach there, but you can see the attraction...
But that ranking is based on Dabo being there. Sure, it’s a great place to coach, if you’re Dabo Swinney. But let’s see how great it is if his replacement goes 6-7 in his third year like Dabo did.

But that ranking is based on Dabo being there. Sure, it’s a great place to coach, if you’re Dabo Swinney. But let’s see how great it is if his replacement goes 6-7 in his third year like Dabo did.
Plus Dabo has benefited from a complete collapse of FSU and Miami football. What other team does Clemson ever have to really compete with?

Dabo got to where he is by selling the administration on the idea that to compete with the big boys, they needed to spend money. They see the results.

Plus Dabo has benefited from a complete collapse of FSU and Miami football. What other team does Clemson ever have to really compete with?
Great point and not only FSU and Miami, how about Va Tech and Louisville? Basically the whole conference has become a sh!tshow.

Dabo got to where he is by selling the administration on the idea that to compete with the big boys, they needed to spend money. They see the results.
Spend money and slide through the regular season in the worst conference in college football.

Reactions: Midnighter2
That is total crap, IMHO. Today, you've got to start with the big three:
Alabama
Clemson
Georgia

Then you add the teams that "often" join them on the dance floor
tOSU
Oklahoma
ND
Oregon/Nike

You then add the rest and based on the most recent successes are
LSU
USC
Florida
PSU

then add the others like
FSU
Texas
TA&M
Michigan
Auburn
Washington

And, I have to add, would you really want to be the coach taking Alabama over after Saban or Clemson after Dabo?

I really think you have to switch Georgia and Ohio State, Ohio State has actually won the playoffs since they started, Georgia not so much.

I really think you have to switch Georgia and Ohio State, Ohio State has actually won the playoffs since they started, Georgia not so much.
Agree. Georgia is sort of the PSU in the SEC - they're good every year but just can't seem to get by the 800 lb gorilla in their conferences (Alabama and OSU).

Reactions: hlstone
PSUoh90's Top 5 Coaching Jobs:

1. Pitt - "Big City" with "things to do" + get to practice with the Steelers. Once the 5 stars open their eyes, look out.

2. Rutgers - NYC media market + NIL = $$$

3. Kansas - 2 wins a season will get you a hefty raise and an extension

4. Alabama - Self explanatory

5. Maryland - Opportunity to pick up an easy win against PSU every season

Reactions: BobPSU92
Some of you need to take off your Penn State blue-colored glasses because the ranking is pretty spot-on, certain teams may move up or down a spot or two. Penn State is a top 10-15 program.

Reactions: wplion and PSUoh90
Some of you need to take off your Penn State blue-colored glasses because the ranking is pretty spot-on, certain teams may move up or down a spot or two. Penn State is a top 10-15 program.
Nah. More of an 8-11/12 program

I actually think the list is decent. I do think that Texas is a few spots high as the meddling of the big donors has been a nightmare and the results have been bad for a decade. I also agree that PSU should be ahead of Miami and Florida State but that is only in the best of the rest.
If ease of a National Championship and Recruiting areas are rated highly, most of this makes sense. Also, Michigan is the winningest program of all time and has bigger donors than we have, Texas A&M has huge $$$, a rabid fan base, great recruiting area and terrific facilities.
I agree. Texas is potentially the best spot if you can pull off playoff spots each year.

Great point and not only FSU and Miami, how about Va Tech and Louisville? Basically the whole conference has become a sh!tshow.
Yeah, and I still don't get what's happened to those two programs.

As another poster noted, A&M despite all that money never seems to get over the hump. And Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, etc. aren't going away. And now, here come Texas (won't be down for ever) and Oklahoma. It's going to be tough for any coach to get over the top, I would think.

Reactions: Midnighter2
As another poster noted, A&M despite all that money never seems to get over the hump. And Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, etc. aren't going away. And now, here come Texas (won't be down for ever) and Oklahoma, It's going to be tough for any coach to get over the top, I would think.

A&M should have stayed in the Big XII. Texas and Oklahoma too. Bowing to the SEC is bad for the sport.

Reactions: nits74
You think Clemson's recruiting stops at the SC border? Look at a map - Clemson is barely across the state line with Georgia. And they have been a decent program for quite some time.
"decent"...
with all due respect, the ONLY reason Clemson is on the list is because of the CURRENT coach (Unless citing their records between '78 to '90). Swinney himself has made the job attractive, not the program itself...as fkkkjm states "Clemson wasn’t a dream job until the last decade."
Won a NC in the 80s and were top 10 some other years that decade. Didn't do that bad under Bowden either. Dabo has that machine running pretty good. You talk as if they were hot garbage until Dabo came along. When he leaves for Alabama after Saban retires there is enough inertia there to keep things respectable.
Actually, the BEST Clemson record under Bowden in 10 YEARS was 9-3, and that was only 1 of the 10 years.

Last edited:
A&M should have stayed in the Big XII. Texas and Oklahoma too. Bowing to the SEC is bad for the sport.
Agreed. But we've seen recruiting go national very quickly and I suspect the regional nature of recruiting is going to get worse. This is especially true in light of NIL. I've noticed kids today, even outside sports, think nothing of going to school in AZ, CA, NY or FL (not a lot of good colleges in FL though). I am seeing more kids go to school in the UK and France. What keeps kids close to home today is a) family b) cost of travel and c) grew up being a fan of the local school. As we see NIL allow kids to afford travel and selecting a school is now a business issue and not an emotional issue recruiting will be about money and the school's "brand".

My point here is that SEC schools had a good thing going with FL and TX but that's changed. I have no idea why a kid would want to play for Oklahoma or TA&M. If I am a top recruit, I am looking at AL (best chance to play on sundays), Clemson (great campus in a great part of the nation), USC (fantastic post-playing day opportunities while still having a great shot at the NFL) and ND (great exposure and post-career connections).

I have no idea, taking the emotion out of it, why you'd go play for tOSU or Michigan if you've got offers from other top flight programs. I think PSU has a good thing going because CJF is so personable. But as a biz decision, I am afraid PSU isn't at the top of the list or even in the top 20 IMHO.

A lot goes into player development and a pipeline into the NFL. NIL will certainly be a factor. But job potential if you don't make it big in the NFL should be a consideration. Do you want most of your job opportunities to be in Stillwater, Detroit, Harrisburg, LA?

Agreed. But we've seen recruiting go national very quickly and I suspect the regional nature of recruiting is going to get worse. This is especially true in light of NIL. I've noticed kids today, even outside sports, think nothing of going to school in AZ, CA, NY or FL (not a lot of good colleges in FL though). I am seeing more kids go to school in the UK and France. What keeps kids close to home today is a) family b) cost of travel and c) grew up being a fan of the local school. As we see NIL allow kids to afford travel and selecting a school is now a business issue and not an emotional issue recruiting will be about money and the school's "brand".

My point here is that SEC schools had a good thing going with FL and TX but that's changed. I have no idea why a kid would want to play for Oklahoma or TA&M. If I am a top recruit, I am looking at AL (best chance to play on sundays), Clemson (great campus in a great part of the nation), USC (fantastic post-playing day opportunities while still having a great shot at the NFL) and ND (great exposure and post-career connections).

I have no idea, taking the emotion out of it, why you'd go play for tOSU or Michigan if you've got offers from other top flight programs. I think PSU has a good thing going because CJF is so personable. But as a biz decision, I am afraid PSU isn't at the top of the list or even in the top 20 IMHO.

A lot goes into player development and a pipeline into the NFL. NIL will certainly be a factor. But job potential if you don't make it big in the NFL should be a consideration. Do you want most of your job opportunities to be in Stillwater, Detroit, Harrisburg, LA?

Kids also like to play for winners. Oklahoma is a winner and puts kids into the NFL. For me, not much difference between somewhere like Bama and Oklahoma - wouldn't want to live in either place. If I'm good enough for the NFL, I'll get there. Go back to when Myron Rolle was a star at FSU and then bails on the draft to go to Oxford - he knew that chance - being a Rhodes Scholar, living in Oxford, enjoying being young - is a one time deal. The NFL is there for those who want it. Which is why when our board 'which schools would be your five official visits' I always list something like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Texas, and Oregon. Places I'd like to live and do things beyond football.

Reactions: Obliviax
Clemson could be top spot (with Dabo's success established)... easy annual schedule, near guarantee of playoff berth if you hold serve.

Clemson could be top spot (with Dabo's success established)... easy annual schedule, near guarantee of playoff berth if you hold serve.

The right guy at FSU derails things a bit though, still - very easy/winnable conference, noting FSU is in Clemson's division. Miami, FL could always re-emerge, but getting harder for them I think.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion

So....post FB job opportunities are regional? Interesting. Wonder how PSU having the largest alumni association in the country would play into that. PSU has the second largest stadium in the country, and huge fan support. And Happy Valley environs...lots of people are attracted to the area...it's not for everybody, but nothing is. And this adds up to being outside the top twenty programs??

Reactions: PSU73
You need to put some glasses on. PSU is as good or better than half that programs on that list.

Reactions: hlstone
You need to put some glasses on. PSU is as good or better than half that programs on that list.
We are in the 2020's, not the 1980's so remember that. The list looks at a lot of different factors.

Texas A&M - yes, Penn State is better
Michigan - no, Michigan is better (national championship in 1997, national prominence)
Florida - no, Florida is better (3 national championships in 1996 and 2000's)
Notre Dame - no, Notre Dame is better (national prominence)
Oklahoma - no, Oklahoma is better (1 national championship, college playoff, and consistent Top 10)
Clemson - no, Clemson is better (2 national championships, college playoff)
USC - no, USC is better (national championships, beat PSU in Rose Bowl, national prominence)
LSU - no, LSU is better (3 national championships in 2000's)
Texas - no, Texas is better (2005 national championship, national prominence)
Georgia - no, Georgia is better (national prominence)
Ohio State - no, Ohio State is better
Alabama - no, Alabama is better

Penn State is better than half the programs above? Which ones and why? Take off your Penn State blue colored glasses and GOOOOO.....

By the way, the Wall Street Journal valued the Penn State Football program as the #13 highest valued football program in 2019. All of the programs above, except for Clemson and USC, were valued higher than Penn State.

Last edited:
That is total crap, IMHO. Today, you've got to start with the big three:
Alabama
Clemson
Georgia

Then you add the teams that "often" join them on the dance floor
tOSU
Oklahoma
ND
Oregon/Nike

You then add the rest and based on the most recent successes are
LSU
USC
Florida
PSU

then add the others like
FSU
Texas
TA&M
Michigan
Auburn
Washington

And, I have to add, would you really want to be the coach taking Alabama over after Saban or Clemson after Dabo?
The cannabis dispensaries in Eugene, OR are outstanding. That has to count for something.

We are in the 2020's, not the 1980's so remember that. The list looks at a lot of different factors.

Texas A&M - yes, Penn State is better
Michigan - no, Michigan is better (national championship in 1997, national prominence)
Florida - no, Florida is better (3 national championships in 1996 and 2000's)
Notre Dame - no, Notre Dame is better (national prominence)
Oklahoma - no, Oklahoma is better (1 national championship, college playoff, and consistent Top 10)
Clemson - no, Clemson is better (2 national championships, college playoff)
USC - no, USC is better (national championships, beat PSU in Rose Bowl, national prominence)
LSU - no, LSU is better (3 national championships in 2000's)
Texas - no, Texas is better (2005 national championship, national prominence)
Georgia - no, Georgia is better (national prominence)
Ohio State - no, Ohio State is better
Alabama - no, Alabama is better

Penn State is better than half the programs above? Which ones and why? Take off your Penn State blue colored glasses and GOOOOO.....

By the way, the Wall Street Journal valued the Penn State Football program as the #13 highest valued football program in 2019. All of the programs above, except for Clemson and USC, were valued higher than Penn State.
PSU is better program than UM (dumpster fire program,) Clemson (until five years ago who?,) Texas (see UM,) ND (haven’t won a meaningful game in decades,) Texas A&M, Florida (what “national prominence” does that program have,) and Georgia (see Clemson, what have they ever done that PSU haven’t.)

oh that’s right, they have more “prominence”

😂 😂 😂

Reactions: PSU73
PSU is better program than UM (dumpster fire program,) Clemson (until five years ago who?,) Texas (see UM,) ND (haven’t won a meaningful game in decades,) Texas A&M, Florida (what “national prominence” does that program have,) and Georgia (see Clemson, what have they ever done that PSU haven’t.)

😂 😂 😂
I asked you why Penn State is better than those other football programs and all you came back with was Opinions. There was no facts and I gave you facts previously. Other than a number of Top 20 finishes, what has Penn State football done the past 35 years, serious question. What national prominence does Penn State have? All of the programs you mention above that are inferior to Penn State have national championships, made the college football playoff (some did not), consistently recruited better, and have better facilities. Penn State has more losing seasons over the past 20 years than Michigan, Texas, Florida, and Notre Dame, so who has won more and better games? Let’s be realistic here and not show unfounded Penn State bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: crm114psu

😂 😂 😂
If you are going to double down on blind homerism, why do such a half assed job? Go ahead and tell us how PSU is better than all of the programs on that list.

I asked you why Penn State is better than those other football programs and all you came back with was Opinions. There was no facts and I gave you facts previously. Other than a number of Top 20 finishes, what has Penn State football done the past 35 years, serious question. What national prominence does Penn State have? All of the programs you mention above that are inferior to Penn State have national championships, made the college football playoff (some did not), consistently recruited better, and have better facilities. Penn State has more losing seasons over the past 20 years than Michigan, Texas, Florida, and Notre Dame, so who has won more and better games? Let’s be realistic here and not show unfounded Penn State bias.

Many of your "facts" is your repeated claim that team X has "national prominence." What does that mean and how is that measurable? That's no more a fact than me saying your post is a bunch of bunk.

Reactions: PSU73 and hlstone
Michigan hasn’t won a Big title since 2004 and lost to OSU 15 out of the last 16 and got embarrassed by them many times. A NC in ‘97 means about as much to recruits as one in ‘86…or 00, or 05. Anything before the later 2000’s are meaningless to these kids. And you stating “national prominence” is not a fact, it’s your opinion. Are you saying people in other parts of the country don’t know who Penn State is? And I thought the discussion was about better coaching jobs, not just who’s won the most recent NC’s.

Reactions: RGWhirly
Prominence is an opinion, not a fact. Your argument is flawed.

Reactions: PSU73 and RGWhirly
Michigan hasn’t won a Big title since 2004 and lost to OSU 15 out of the last 16 and got embarrassed by them many times. A NC in ‘97 means about as much to recruits as one in ‘86…or 00, or 05. Anything before the later 2000’s are meaningless to these kids. And you stating “national prominence” is not a fact, it’s your opinion. Are you saying people in other parts of the country don’t know who Penn State is? And I thought the discussion was about better coaching jobs, not just who’s won the most recent NC’s.
The best coaching jobs are typically over the best football programs as a whole, which is what the original list stated. Winning national championships makes the head coaching jobs that much better and continues to elevate the football program as a whole. But yea let’s keep pounding our chests with our consistent top 20 finishes.

I attended the Rose Bowl in 2009 and I had multiple USC fans tell me that Penn State had not been relevant since the 80’s. So yes there are people in other parts of the country that think Penn State football is an afterthought.

Last edited:
The best coaching jobs are typically over the best football programs as a whole, which is what the original list stated. Winning national championships makes the head coaching jobs that much better and continues to elevate the football program as a whole. But yea let’s keep pounding our chests with our consistent top 20 finishes.

I attended the Rose Bowl in 2009 and I had multiple USC fans tell me that Penn State had not been relevant since the 80’s. So yes there are people in other parts of the country that think Penn State football is an afterthought.
Big whoop. Opinions are like a holes…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT