ADVERTISEMENT

FC: The Athletic's 'Top 12 Best Head Coaching Jobs in College Football'.....

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
Compiled by The Athletic's college football staff (Max Olson, Bruce Feldman, Ari Wasserman, Andy Staples) and based on the data of more than 100 'people working in college football - ADs, head coaches, assistant coaches, recruiting coordinators, analysts, staffers - and using any subjective criteria (ability to win a NC, what 'best' means, pay, job security, lifestyle, recruiting region and history, administrative buy-in and alignment, fan support, academics, facilities, budgets, conference affiliation, past glory, present day success, etc.), they came up with the following:

12. Texas A&M - 12 Points (0 First Place Votes) - Positives - Resources, investment and university alignment with football, SEC

11. Michigan - 20 Points (0) - Winning history, academic reputation, tradition, large fan base

10. Florida - 32 Pointes (0) - Location, fertile recruiting territory, recent success

9. Notre Dame - 48 Points (2) - Uniquely positioned, 'in roads' at private schools, iconic facilities, national fan base

8. Oklahoma - 64 Points (3) - 'Cool brand', two decades of recent dominance, elite recruiting, buy-in from school

7. Clemson - 129 Points (5) - Incredible institutional support, rabid fan base, 'electric' gameday atmosphere, excellent recruiting territory

6. USC - 151 Points (5) - Big time program in major city, 'life after football' opportunities & NIL, fertile recruiting location

5. LSU - 159 Points (14) - Self-sustaining (3 coaches in 20 years have NCs), talent rich state, commitment from school, top notch game day atmosphere

4. Texas - 164 Points (11) - Biggest revenue generating program, attractive city/location, elite recruiting territory (cons - too many meddlers)

3. Georgia - 224 Points (11) - Lots of well developed in-state talent to recruit, state-wide support of school, no in-state competition, wealthy donor base (cons - win or else)

2. Ohio State - 308 Points (11) - No in-state competition for recruits, national brand, iconic facilities, rabid fan base, no 'losing' history, winnable conference

1. Alabama - 406 Points (55) - Incredible history, passionate fan base, excellent facilities, 'national championship' mentality every year, unlimited resources for staff, no in-state competition for anything

Others receiving votes: Miami, FL (11), Oregon (10), Florida State (9), Penn State (5), North Carolina (2), Northwestern (1)

Alright BWI Board - do your thang!

giphy.gif

Miami being ahead of psu is comical.
I also disagree that Michigan, A&M and ND are better, but that’s up for debate

also, Being the guy to replace Saban, IMO, is an awful job (although I’m sure it will pay well)

I actually think the list is decent. I do think that Texas is a few spots high as the meddling of the big donors has been a nightmare and the results have been bad for a decade. I also agree that PSU should be ahead of Miami and Florida State but that is only in the best of the rest.
If ease of a National Championship and Recruiting areas are rated highly, most of this makes sense. Also, Michigan is the winningest program of all time and has bigger donors than we have, Texas A&M has huge $$$, a rabid fan base, great recruiting area and terrific facilities.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I actually think the list is decent. I do think that Texas is a few spots high as the meddling of the big donors has been a nightmare and the results have been bad for a decade. I also agree that PSU should be ahead of Miami and Florida State but that is only in the best of the rest.
If ease of a National Championship and Recruiting areas are rated highly, most of this makes sense. Also, Michigan is the winningest program of all time and has bigger donors than we have, Texas A&M has huge $$$, a rabid fan base, great recruiting area and terrific facilities.

Yeah, you have 100 different people and they're all gonna value things differently. I wouldn't want to coach at Alabama because I wouldn't want to live there - same for Notre Dame. But, Texas, USC, Georgia, UCLA, Washington? Yes plz.

This perception is why CJF’s name comes up for some of these jobs.

Yeah, I don't know anyone in college football circles; just other fans/alums of Penn State and other programs. I personally think PSU is a top ten job, but I'm not sure who on the list I would boot to make room...

Reactions: pennstatekev
Clemson wasn’t a dream job until the last decade. South Carolina does not have the depth of D1 players like Florida Georgia or Texas. It has in-state competition, I don’t think it has a donor base to rival some of these big dogs. If Florida State ever gets it’s head out of its ass - Clemson will not have a cake walk to the ACC title game either.

I would knock Clemson down a bit.

I stopped at "Cool brand". 🙄
Yeah, there's no way to quantify that which makes it just another "eye test". As far as I'm concerned, Penn State is a pretty cool brand too. As noted above, the list was made up by four dudes who apparently decided to get together to simply make a list. Their next one will be about ice cream flavors.

• Haha
Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Clemson wasn’t a dream job until the last decade. South Carolina does not have the depth of D1 players like Florida Georgia or Texas. It has in-state competition, I don’t think it has a donor base to rival some of these big dogs. If Florida State ever gets it’s head out of its ass - Clemson will not have a cake walk to the ACC title game either.

I would knock Clemson down a bit.
You think Clemson's recruiting stops at the SC border? Look at a map - Clemson is barely across the state line with Georgia. And they have been a decent program for quite some time.

Compiled by The Athletic's college football staff (Max Olson, Bruce Feldman, Ari Wasserman, Andy Staples) and based on the data of more than 100 'people working in college football - ADs, head coaches, assistant coaches, recruiting coordinators, analysts, staffers - and using any subjective criteria (ability to win a NC, what 'best' means, pay, job security, lifestyle, recruiting region and history, administrative buy-in and alignment, fan support, academics, facilities, budgets, conference affiliation, past glory, present day success, etc.), they came up with the following:

12. Texas A&M - 12 Points (0 First Place Votes) - Positives - Resources, investment and university alignment with football, SEC

11. Michigan - 20 Points (0) - Winning history, academic reputation, tradition, large fan base

10. Florida - 32 Pointes (0) - Location, fertile recruiting territory, recent success

9. Notre Dame - 48 Points (2) - Uniquely positioned, 'in roads' at private schools, iconic facilities, national fan base

8. Oklahoma - 64 Points (3) - 'Cool brand', two decades of recent dominance, elite recruiting, buy-in from school

7. Clemson - 129 Points (5) - Incredible institutional support, rabid fan base, 'electric' gameday atmosphere, excellent recruiting territory

6. USC - 151 Points (5) - Big time program in major city, 'life after football' opportunities & NIL, fertile recruiting location

5. LSU - 159 Points (14) - Self-sustaining (3 coaches in 20 years have NCs), talent rich state, commitment from school, top notch game day atmosphere

4. Texas - 164 Points (11) - Biggest revenue generating program, attractive city/location, elite recruiting territory (cons - too many meddlers)

3. Georgia - 224 Points (11) - Lots of well developed in-state talent to recruit, state-wide support of school, no in-state competition, wealthy donor base (cons - win or else)

2. Ohio State - 308 Points (11) - No in-state competition for recruits, national brand, iconic facilities, rabid fan base, no 'losing' history, winnable conference

1. Alabama - 406 Points (55) - Incredible history, passionate fan base, excellent facilities, 'national championship' mentality every year, unlimited resources for staff, no in-state competition for anything

Others receiving votes: Miami, FL (11), Oregon (10), Florida State (9), Penn State (5), North Carolina (2), Northwestern (1)

Alright BWI Board - do your thang!

giphy.gif
How does Alabama have no in-state competition? Auburn is a perennial top 20 program and has been in two national championships in the last 15 years

You think Clemson's recruiting stops at the SC border? Look at a map - Clemson is barely across the state line with Georgia. And they have been a decent program for quite some time.
Not a top 10 program before Dabo and by your argument - why aren’t the gamecocks bringing in top 10 classes every year? When Dabo leaves and Clemson has a few mediocre seasons, they will fall back I bet. They have won a lot of recruiting battles further north than most Deep South teams and that is hard to sustain considering the state, the lack of history, and being in the ACC.

Reactions: Shadow99
How does Alabama have no in-state competition? Auburn is a perennial top 20 program and has been in two national championships in the last 15 years

Apparently not a serious threat - Auburn received fewer votes than Northwestern - zero.

Not a top 10 program before Dabo and by your argument - why aren’t the gamecocks bringing in top 10 classes every year? When Dabo leaves and Clemson has a few mediocre seasons, they will fall back I bet. They have won a lot of recruiting battles further north than most Deep South teams and that is hard to sustain considering the state, the lack of history, and being in the ACC.
Won a NC in the 80s and were top 10 some other years that decade. Didn't do that bad under Bowden either. Dabo has that machine running pretty good. You talk as if they were hot garbage until Dabo came along. When he leaves for Alabama after Saban retires there is enough inertia there to keep things respectable.

Won a NC in the 80s and were top 10 some other years that decade. Didn't do that bad under Bowden either. Dabo has that machine running pretty good. You talk as if they were hot garbage until Dabo came along. When he leaves for Alabama after Saban retires there is enough inertia there to keep things respectable.
I don't know if they factored in the turnover history. Penn State hasn't fired anyone, except Joe, in who knows how many years, and that was a special case. Plus State College is a great place to raise your kids.

OK. Miami has topless beaches. And hurricanes and floods. And a rough history.

So OSU is #2 and one of the reasons is a winnable conference, yet they have A&M, Florida and LSU in the top 12 who ain’t going to win their conference (unless it’s a one off like LSU a couple years ago). And Texas would be a miserable job (as has been proven recently). I think this list was heavily influenced by “talent rich” environments, which is great unless you can’t get the talent to come to your school (hello Miami).

Reactions: Shadow99
I don't know if they factored in the turnover history. Penn State hasn't fired anyone, except Joe, in who knows how many years, and that was a special case. Plus State College is a great place to raise your kids.

OK. Miami has topless beaches. And hurricanes and floods. And a rough history.
They must have to some degree or Northwestern wouldn’t have sniffed a vote.

That is total crap, IMHO. Today, you've got to start with the big three:
Alabama
Clemson
Georgia

Then you add the teams that "often" join them on the dance floor
tOSU
Oklahoma
ND
Oregon/Nike

You then add the rest and based on the most recent successes are
LSU
USC
Florida
PSU

then add the others like
FSU
Texas
TA&M
Michigan
Auburn
Washington

And, I have to add, would you really want to be the coach taking Alabama over after Saban or Clemson after Dabo?

Reactions: PSU73
That is total crap, IMHO. Today, you've got to start with the big three:
Alabama
Clemson
Georgia

Then you add the teams that "often" join them on the dance floor
tOSU
Oklahoma
ND
Oregon/Nike

You then add the rest and based on the most recent successes are
LSU
USC
Florida
PSU

then add the others like
FSU
Texas
TA&M
Michigan
Auburn
Washington

And, I have to add, would you really want to be the coach taking Alabama over after Saban or Clemson after Dabo?
And Bama and Clemson are only attractive to Saban and Dabo right now. Dabo was given a long time to build a program….Saban had a slow couple of seasons. Those programs will likely never allow that again, so they would be terrible jobs after they leave. This poll was way too skewed based on who is coaching now and not looking at the job for other candidates. Ask Luke Fickel how it felt to be a new head coach at OSU.

Reactions: fkkkjm and Obliviax
And Bama and Clemson are only attractive to Saban and Dabo right now. Dabo was given a long time to build a program….Saban had a slow couple of seasons. Those programs will likely never allow that again, so they would be terrible jobs after they leave. This poll was way too skewed based on who is coaching now and not looking at the job for other candidates. Ask Luke Fickel how it felt to be a new head coach at OSU.
Agreed and a few years ago you'd have had Texas, Miami and FL State up there. but not now. however, Miami and FSU can be great programs if they get the right people lined up and facilities in order. All have good traditions, stadiums and recruiting base.

I had to look but you're right. Clemson has been at least solid if not better for much of the last 40 years.

it will also be interesting to see what happens with the new teams joining the SEC. That could be good or a disaster. OK specifically, will find it to be a new world, IMHO

Agreed and a few years ago you'd have had Texas, Miami and FL State up there. but not now. however, Miami and FSU can be great programs if they get the right people lined up and facilities in order. All have good traditions, stadiums and recruiting base.
Miami is done unless the administration changes their requirements for athletes to get into the school. When they decided they wanted to be a prestigious academic school again as opposed to a football factory, their access to much of the talent in Florida disappeared. And now that so many school have made inroads into Florida, the school in Florida don’t have the recruiting base that they used to have. So you’re right, these lists are cyclical based on who is coaching at the time and their success. I’ll bet in the 90’s Nebraska would have been top 3 in a list like this.

Amazing Penn State doesn’t rate higher.

Very good academics.
Good facilities.
Tradition.
Quality of life.
Huge alumni base.
Ice cream.
Leadership.

Amazing Penn State doesn’t rate higher.

Very good academics.
Good facilities.
Tradition.
Quality of life.
Huge alumni base.
Ice cream.
Leadership.
It’s because we can’t beat OSU…..but Michigan can….oh wait, never mind. Must be some other criteria.

top 10 programs over the last 50 years by wins:

Ohio State 491
Alabama 482
OSU 480
Neb 473
Penn State 457
Michigan 454
USC 448
Texas 433
FSU 432
tied Georgia and ND 425

USC has nothing on PSU ... smog, traffic and no fans vs fresh air, community and home of the best show in sports. To each their own but having lived in both places, there is no comparison.

Reactions: PSU73
top 10 programs over the last 50 years by wins:

Ohio State 491
Alabama 482
OSU 480
Neb 473
Penn State 457
Michigan 454
USC 448
Texas 433
FSU 432
tied Georgia and ND 425

USC has nothing on PSU ... smog, traffic and no fans vs fresh air, community and home of the best show in sports. To each their own but having lived in both places, there is no comparison.
And Nebraska has become a bit of a joke, so we’re really #4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT